Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

7 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Idle mind at work here, wonder if the Dane / Berry relationship is best for the program.  Surely Dane had to feel a bit passed over, not saying any outright issues or negativity but sometime subtle under tones can manifest in ways....    Discuss, Enjoy.   

Absolutely nothing of actual manifestation of this unbased hypothesis. I dont see that at all in any way.

Possibly some restrained emotion from Dane.

I place all of my unfounded and hypotherical blame for all our problems on Coach Shaw......

........checks PP results......

Please strike "unfounded" from my characterization of blame towards Coach Shaw.

14 hours ago, mikejm said:

I'm just throwing this out there, and have no statistical justification for my question, but how successful at college level have any BCHL prolific scorers been? I get the feeling that's a high-scoring league, but when faced with bigger, older opponents in D1 hockey, the scoring drops off precipitously.

Is it time to start focusing on different development leagues?

(Don't flame me; I'm old. And frankly, I don't give a damn if you light into me.)

The BCHL is a solid league....best in the Canadian circuit when speaking about junior A hockey.  But it doesn't really come all that close to the depth of the USHL.  If you avg a pt/gm in the USHL, more likely than not, you'll be a good college hockey player.  If you tear apart the BCHL, more likely than not, you'll be a solid college hockey player.  While very good players play in the BCHL there simply isn't the depth of talent.  So scoring is much easier in the BC.  You also have to factor in a players age.  Sometimes the guys that are dominating the BC are 20-21 years old.....you have to take that into consideration as well.  I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.  However I lean towards players having better success in the USHL.

If fluoride in the water is to make us docile, Schlossman's always here to remind us that outshooting your opponent and losing is just bad luck and nothing else. And you can not expect to win a lot of games anymore cause of the Parity Party.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4555344-podcast-why-are-so-many-traditional-college-hockey-powers-struggling+

He says ya all just a bunch of old guys living in the past and you'all trying to relive your glory days of watching four goal winners are ovah!

• Upvote 3

Just now, Cratter said:

If fluoride in the water is to make us docile, Schlossman's always here to remind us that outshooting your opponent and losing is just bad luck and nothing else. And you can not expect to win a lot of games anymore cause of Parity Party.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4555344-podcast-why-are-so-many-traditional-college-hockey-powers-struggling

I am so sick of these types of articles.  The whole goal is to calm down the fanbase.  It's been a week, I think many folks have already calmed and came to the realization that we'll need some heavy luck to get into the NCAAs.  You kind of just have to let it play out now.  Two wins this weekend.

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I am so sick of these types of articles.  The whole goal is to calm down the fanbase.  It's been a week, I think many folks have already calmed and came to the realization that we'll need some heavy luck to get into the NCAAs.  You kind of just have to let it play out now.  Two wins this weekend.

Image result for dilly dilly meme

On 1/9/2019 at 8:37 AM, Irish said:

Speaking of the pipeline - a quick check of the top 50 freshman scorers in the country shows NO UND forwards - only defenseman JBD about 3/4 of the way down.  Denver has 4.  How in the heck are we rebuilding.?Where is the pipeline?  Scarily it isn't just the blank Junior class that isn't performing.  We need to be seriously concerned about this.   How are we miss-firing class after class?  Or are we beating the scoring right out of them with our "system" and "process"? Either should be very alarming and doesn't bode well for the future. 

One last complaint while I'm at it.  The Heraldo can't possible manage to get in any UND game stories the next day, but today I was treated to a dandy article about St. Clown and Duluth.  What a rag.

Owned by fargo folum.

One could make a decent conspiracy argument about the Forum trying to kill all the athletic programs at UND (and consequentially the academic side also). Cut WDAZ. Buy the Herald. Closely get rid of it. No Monday papers. Move production. Sell the building. No stories the next day after 8 so most sports games wont get reported. Hire new sports writers in throughtout Minnesota to write about St.Cloud, Duluth, and Minnesota and inject those articles in GF, Fargo, et al. to promote those programs in the region. The Forum roundtable discussing how soon no one will be barely know UND exists, and NDSU and the Fargo Forum Communications will reign supreme. Power Grab! They cut the Herald and WDAZ to save money and then used that money to hire writers for competing teams articles.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Practicality would be to give Berry the rest of the year then make decisions. Firing, hiring, new coach having a staff poached and ready to recruit, and reassuring current recruits takes time to shape. 

If Berry can explain to the powers that be what is going on and a feasible plan to fix it then he should be ok. Just saying ‘puck-luck’ works for the general public but he likely knows what the real problem is. 

My question is more talent and scheme related. The NHL is quickly becoming the TB Lightning—pass, move, pass, move—forcing the D to make constant decisions until they make a bad one. We see that with VGN and the Jets

This requires faster, more athletic players with stick skills, it’s the present and future and the NHL is quickly changing to a different type of athlete. (Iirc the Blue Jackets’ 1st rounder is a kid with blazing speed who is still very raw) Are our players fast enough and athletic enough with the stick skills for that scheme? Is that a legit winning scheme in the NCAA, and how would you describe Berry’s scheme?

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

The ironic thing is that with all of Schlossman's articles and blog posts in the past saying how UND has this string going, or hadn't been swept in how many years, he has really made the comparison that much more vivid.  Would be interesting to see how many times he predicted sweeps for UND in the past, compared to the constant split predictions now.  That in and of itself demonstrates how much confidence in the team has waned.  If it wanes too much, good luck bidding on those regionals. 

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

Idle mind at work here, wonder if the Dane / Berry relationship is best for the program.  Surely Dane had to feel a bit passed over, not saying any outright issues or negativity but sometime subtle under tones can manifest in ways....    Discuss, Enjoy.   

I thought there were rumors that Hakstol wanted to take Dane with him to Philly, but Dane wanted to stay here.  Not sure if they were true, but I recall those circulating around back then.  By all indications I see, Dane and Berry have a great working relationship.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tnt said:

I thought there were rumors that Hakstol wanted to take Dane with him to Philly, but Dane wanted to stay here.  Not sure if they were true, but I recall those circulating around back then.  By all indications I see, Dane and Berry have a great working relationship.   

I remember hearing this as well. I also remember not hearing much, if anything, from Dane after the decision had been made to replace Hak with Bubs, nor have I had any doubt in their working dynamic/relationship. It's a solid pair.

34 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

What’s Dane coach exactly?

Not sure what's being asked here but if you're asking for his official role, it's associate head coach.

How much potential money does UND save in bonuses when Berry misses the playoffs again?  Interesting that he got nearly a 100K bump in base pay after missing the ncaa tourney last year.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4441137-und-signs-hockey-coach-brad-berry-new-five-year-contract

"Berry inked a new five-year deal with a base salary of $400,000 annually on Friday, keeping him under contract through the 2022-23 season.

Berry has one year left on his original four-year contract and was set to make $306,000 in base salary this upcoming season, but the new contract will start immediately."

52 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

How much potential money does UND save in bonuses when Berry misses the playoffs again?  Interesting that he got nearly a 100K bump in base pay after missing the ncaa tourney last year.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4441137-und-signs-hockey-coach-brad-berry-new-five-year-contract

"Berry inked a new five-year deal with a base salary of $400,000 annually on Friday, keeping him under contract through the 2022-23 season.

Berry has one year left on his original four-year contract and was set to make $306,000 in base salary this upcoming season, but the new contract will start immediately."

I'd be willing to bet that the bump in pay came from our friendly donor Kris Engelstad.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:40 AM, Mamba said:

Not sure what’s missing, but overreacting isn’t the cure. I’m all about shots, give me SOG, work the game to get SOG ... and they have. But I remember the Manitoba game was much the same. While we did win by one goal, shots were 55 to 9, which seemed crazy.  Pretty sure Berry said early on as head coach, we’re going to get pucks to the net, which I applauded. We outshoot most every opponent. 

And big SOG advantage has gotten us where.....

On 1/9/2019 at 5:20 PM, Old Fella said:

Not sure about the rest of you (I try not to 'live in the reckage of the future') but will be at the games this weekend and expect each and every hockey player to give there very best (110%), and sweep the series.

AMEN

Sometimes even the 'old fella' gets luckey.

• Like 1

Here are a few things that have happened often enough to be characteristics of Berry`s teams the last year and a half (at least) - these are things that make watching very frustrating.  The Tendency to take shifts or entire periods off - see second periods this year.  The inability to hold leads especially 2 goal leads.  Giving up a goal usually in under a minute after we score.  Endless logo shots with no finishing ability.  Playing down to the opposition.  No in front of the net presence.  I'll advised penalties. We seem to recruit players who appear to have scoring skills but don't score for us - not just out juniors - look at our freshman stats And of course the power play.  We don't see much improvement on any of these areas.  On the positive side - we have on occasion shown we can play with and beat any team in the country.  Time for some changes - if not in coaching then in schemes and game play.  We can't survive much more of this without damage to the program.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 12:36 PM, siouxkid12 said:

Oh yea....Eades should be thanking his lucky stars that Hak brought him on board when he did. Again, this guy was an assistant at UND but then went to the HS ranks for a long time until Hak plucked him back and now he has moved onto his 2nd Jr team a few short years. You ever stop and wonder why his name never comes up as a viable HC when their are open positions available?

Because he goes to the bars posing as his “twin” brother and hits on college girls.