Time to Boo Berry?

Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

You do have to ask the question how we can have guys that ripped up their leagues in scoring like Weatherby, Kawaguchi and Adams, and you have guys like Taylor Ward who didn't put up huge numbers scoring 15 points already his freshman season for Omaha.  Are they so programmed defensively that they lose some of their offensive creativity?  It is baffling to me. 

15 hours ago, johnsowe said:

Let's fire everybody and burn down the Ralph. (Not). You can not keep firing coaches because we will be in the same boat. I think the lack of talent caught up with us and UND is in rebuilding mode. How long will it take? Who knows.

This couldn’t be more true. Yes, this team is under achieving to fan’s standards, but much like most, if not all, other struggling teams in any sport, a new coach doesn’t solve issues fast. I.e. Nebraska football, Chicago Blackhawks, Oakland Raiders, etc. 

Your question at the end is the million dollar one. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

This couldn’t be more true. Yes, this team is under achieving to fan’s standards, but much like most, if not all, other struggling teams in any sport, a new coach doesn’t solve issues fast. I.e. Nebraska football, Chicago Blackhawks, Oakland Raiders, etc. 

THIS!

This reaction to this weekend ignores this. What does losing Bubbs do to a pipeline that is being heralded as pretty dang good? So, the problem is we don't score enough, right? Well, we have scorers in the pipeline. Of course, they have to score when the get here, but will they get here if Bubbs is gone?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, zonadub said:

image.jpeg

This picture confuses me.  Why is Eades wearing #16 with the “C” on it.  Marc Chorney was captain when Eades was a Junior and wore #16.   Eades always wore #22 and was Captain as a Senior.  Odd he would take a photo with someone else’s jersey on.

3 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

I'm sure there is a reason, the question in the front of my mind is does the reason over rule the reason he should be at UND installing passion?

Oh yea....Eades should be thanking his lucky stars that Hak brought him on board when he did. Again, this guy was an assistant at UND but then went to the HS ranks for a long time until Hak plucked him back and now he has moved onto his 2nd Jr team a few short years. You ever stop and wonder why his name never comes up as a viable HC when their are open positions available?

• Like 1

Berry is here for the long haul and that includes GF.  UND is not giving him $2M to voluntarily hop around GF and help with youth hockey. He's going to continue to take care of what's on top of the ice in the house that Ralph built. This team is better than they played last weekend and will do better. The future is still bright at The Ralph.

7 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Berry is here for the long haul and that includes GF.  UND is not giving him $2M to voluntarily hop around GF and help with youth hockey. He's going to continue to take care of what's on top of the ice in the house that Ralph built. This team is better than they played last weekend and will do better. The future is still bright at The Ralph.

Maybe this is the year they take advantage of the Frozen Faceoff winner automatic bid.  We certainly are due.  I think UND will have to find a way to get home ice for the first round though, as it would be quite the gauntlet otherwise.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, tnt said:

Maybe this is the year they take advantage of the Frozen Faceoff winner automatic bid.  We certainly are due.  I think UND will have to find a way to get home ice for the first round though, as it would be quite the gauntlet otherwise.

It doesn't look likely, given their recent play, but their schedule between Jan 25 and Feb 23 affords them a chance to a make huge move pairwise.   Of course, the other games present a chance to continue the decline. 

19 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

He shouldn't be fired by any means but maybe there are some on his staff that need to be reevaluated and possibly let go. 

On 1/7/2019 at 10:06 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

THIS!

This reaction to this weekend ignores this. What does losing Bubbs do to a pipeline that is being heralded as pretty dang good? So, the problem is we don't score enough, right? Well, we have scorers in the pipeline. Of course, they have to score when the get here, but will they get here if Bubbs is gone?

Speaking of the pipeline - a quick check of the top 50 freshman scorers in the country shows NO UND forwards - only defenseman JBD about 3/4 of the way down.  Denver has 4.  How in the heck are we rebuilding.?Where is the pipeline?  Scarily it isn't just the blank Junior class that isn't performing.  We need to be seriously concerned about this.   How are we miss-firing class after class?  Or are we beating the scoring right out of them with our "system" and "process"? Either should be very alarming and doesn't bode well for the future. 

One last complaint while I'm at it.  The Heraldo can't possible manage to get in any UND game stories the next day, but today I was treated to a dandy article about St. Clown and Duluth.  What a rag.

• Upvote 3

As fans there is definite overreaction to games / weekends. It's easy to not see the big picture and focus strictly on the negative. Also, it's much too easy to play the hypothetical game of well what if this happens. As far as Berry goes, I'm going to let the season play out and then reevaluate once this year ends.

One thing that I'd love to ask the experts (Hajdu, Hennessy, @Goon), by that I mean the guys that know the game and are the only people who's opinion matters. Yes, the average idiot (see the rest of us), might overreact, but sports at this level are results driven. What is acceptable for a head coach at UND? Are you not concerned about what you've seen the past three years? Do I personally think Berry is a bad coach, no, but like I asked, what's acceptable to you?

One thing I know is there's not one UND fan that doesn't want this team to go on a streak and make threads like this look foolish in a couple years.

5 minutes ago, Irish said:

If you don't care that we can't score more than 1 per game on Canesius that's fine with me too.

I'm just all done with this whining (not just from you, but in general). I do care, but I'm clearly not as enthralled as you. You do you, boo. 

I am confident that the pipeline is stocked and this year isn't over. Simple as that.

2 hours ago, burd said:

It doesn't look likely, given their recent play, but their schedule between Jan 25 and Feb 23 affords them a chance to a make huge move pairwise.   Of course, the other games present a chance to continue the decline. 

With a sweep this weekend and Miami getting swept by Western and I would guess we would be up to 18 or 19 already.  I'm not a pairwise calculator guy, and the bottom line is we don't need "ifs" right now anyway, we just need to win.  

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

THIS!

There are scorers on the current team.

I'm done whining about the coach/team.  You have to let the season play out...probably have to let the next couple of years play out honestly.  But just wanted to point out that fact.  Another thing (unrelated to the OP), we need to forget about the pairwise.  The focus should be on consistently winning.  I'm already throwing the PW out the window.  This team will need some luck at the end of the year.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

As fans there is definite overreaction to games / weekends. It's easy to not see the big picture and focus strictly on the negative. Also, it's much too easy to play the hypothetical game of well what if this happens. As far as Berry goes, I'm going to let the season play out and then reevaluate once this year ends.

One thing that I'd love to ask the experts (Hajdu, Hennessy, @Goon), by that I mean the guys that know the game and are the only people who's opinion matters. Yes, the average idiot (see the rest of us), might overreact, but sports at this level are results driven. What is acceptable for a head coach at UND? Are you not concerned about what you've seen the past three years? Do I personally think Berry is a bad coach, no, but like I asked, what's acceptable to you?

One thing I know is there's not one UND fan that doesn't want this team to go on a streak and make threads like this look foolish in a couple years.

I'm confused where the three years narrative is coming from. Not directly coming at you, AJS, as I've see it a few times. Two years ago we dominated BU in Fargo and missed out on a chance to play for the Four on a controversial call. Last year, we missed the playoffs by one game and would have definitely been in the playoffs with Jost, who was a surprise to leave. Sure, it's frustrating and annoying to miss by one game. But, does making the playoffs, barely missing and having a rough half of this season really equal to three years of struggles? To me, they don't 

Honestly, it just feels like this whole thing is such an overreaction. 

This season has been really tough to stomach and last weekend is pretty much rock bottom, but like I said in the other thread, if Jost is here and we get one more goal in one of those ties and make the playoffs, are we honestly having this discussion? No.

• Upvote 1

I agree that this board tends to overreact and I am included in that.  I know we have athletes who are scouted by us and playing at a very high amateur level. I know that we have knowledgeable coaches with some NHL experience.  I guess I could rest easier if I could see improvement in a couple of areas of big deficits - you know, just to know things will get better.  Can someone with more hockey knowledge than me explain why we can't put together a power play to save our souls?  It is painful to watch and has been going on for a long time.  Can't we try something - anything - different than endlessly passing slowly and teeing it up out front?  I just don't get it.  Same with our scoring.  Can't we get someone - anyone- to have a presence in front of the net if we are going to shoot endlessly from the perimeter?  Given our coaches expertise and skill of our players these things should be getting better.  It's been a long time.