SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Buyouts won’t cost millions here

chaves has his orders, not sure who from but he’s not calling ALL the shots here 

The orders come from folks that want hockey on top, and only hockey, hence the constant turmoil with the nickname/logo and also internal conflict with hockey vs other programs. Think Vegas…

These constant internal battles at UND make it beyond difficult for UND to consistently win on the field/court against *OTHER* institutions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Chaves is fine sending us to P5 schools to get pummeled, just to get that big check. Nobody outside this forum cares, as I’ve said before. We need an identity, and not having any playmakers on either side of the ball is big problem. Can anyone confidently say that this team will be a playoff winner over the next few years? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Chaves is fine sending us to P5 schools to get pummeled, just to get that big check. Nobody outside this forum cares, as I’ve said before. We need an identity, and not having any playmakers on either side of the ball is big problem. Can anyone confidently say that this team will be a playoff winner over the next few years? 

I like how simple you think it would be to recruit better talent by just replacing the coaching staff……. It’s not that easy.

I think we have been getting better recruits in recent years including some good QB commits. Last years team was good enough to win some playoff games but they choked. The spring season was also a very good squad that could have made it deeper if we didn’t get matched up with JMU in the quarters. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

A lot of UND’s current recruits with this staff are just DII prospects - no competing DI offers. But there are some battles out there that UND could perhaps win with new coaches. New connections, new areas/geography, sure. But it goes beyond just that, so I wouldn’t make it so simplistic. Bubba isn’t the best recruiter by any means. You need to be able to make great relationships, develop a winning/championship culture, even more so in this day and age, you need to be able to utilize the transfer portal. 

Yeah those D2 coaches are going to be a draw to get kids to GF! Eli Belquist posted on Twitter the other day how proud he was to be a part of the UND family. You don’t post like that if you don’t mean it. I trust his opinion more than anyone on this board!

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Yeah those D2 coaches are going to be a draw to get kids to GF! Eli Belquist posted on Twitter the other day how proud he was to be a part of the UND family. You don’t post like that if you don’t mean it. I trust his opinion more than anyone on this board!

You realize Bubba once was a D2 coach, right? Kalen DeBoer, once a NAIA coach, was the finalist with Bubba for the job in 2013, and now he is coaching PAC-12 Washington and is 4-0 this season thus far. 

You have to start somewhere. 

Criticizing someone rising through the ranks from D2 is actually critical to UND’s current football program, given it’s made up entirely of former D2 coaches/players. 

Also, it’s about building the culture beyond just going 5-6 or 6-5 every season. And it’s about how you develop and use the kids from this region; certainly not about how many stars they have coming out of H.S. 

It’s not just about “getting kids to GF” as you so simply put it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is a scapegoat argument, I’m afraid.

Many on this board, myself included, could write a check. Perhaps not for 6 figures, but 5 figures for starters, but why should I write said check if the administration hasn’t convinced me they have the decision-making capability or commitment to football to correctly utilize alumni donations. 

Many of the issues are beyond dollars. These include proving a commitment to football, hiring the right coach/coaching staff, such as not requiring a previous connection to UND, and not extending coaches that haven’t earned it. 

For example, UND extended Bubba after a 5-6 losing season in 2021. That screams mediocrity. 

I know you understand what NDSU’s football success has done for their university and following. UND needs to garner the same thing; the hockey program has plateaued and UND isn’t going to grow anymore with just that program in a vacuum. 

Nothing wrong with your approach. It’s valid and shared by a number of others. A number of people continue to complain about what was done or not done in the past. There isn’t anything we can do about it. We have extended contracts. I believe the only real option is to buy them out. I’m not willing to spend money to do that. 
You want to take a wait and see approach before donating. I tend to think it is more helpful to donate in order to have more resources available year after year. I believe then there will be more resources available when the time comes to hire/pay coaches, buy equipment, upgrade facilities etc. If we have to delay to fundraise then we may miss some opportunities. The programs need the $100, $500, $1000, 10,000 Tex just like the big donors. Thanks to all who do what they can. I give back because the program did a lot for me so I may have a different perspective than some others. Works best for me maybe not everyone. 

33 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

I will take that bet. Chaves schedules FBS schools not just for the money but also because it is a positive factor that recruits look at. They want a chance to play against those teams and experience those game atmospheres. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Nothing wrong with your approach. It’s valid and shared by a number of others. A number of people continue to complain about what was done or not done in the past. There isn’t anything we can do about it. We have extended contracts. I believe the only real option is to buy them out. I’m not willing to spend money to do that. 
You want to take a wait and see approach before donating. I tend to think it is more helpful to donate in order to have more resources available year after year. I believe then there will be more resources available when the time comes to hire/pay coaches, buy equipment, upgrade facilities etc. If we have to delay to fundraise then we may miss some opportunities. The programs need the $100, $500, $1000, 10,000 Tex just like the big donors. Thanks to all who do what they can. I give back because the program did a lot for me so I may have a different perspective than some others. Works best for me maybe not everyone. 

Would love to give more (I donate some the way it is) but it’s not because I don’t have more, but rather because I’m very skeptical of the direction of the program with Chaves. I’m very afraid the program is currently about hockey and nothing else. They ignorantly fail to realize the importance of growing a successful football program, which is by far the most popular sport in the USA, including ND/MN. I think UND is heavily influenced by a couple immoral donors in Vegas with the big bucks, that care more about themselves and their image than what UND and Grand Forks, ND actually could develop into. 

I hope one day I’m convinced the direction is righted. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Would love to give more, but it’s not because I don’t have more, but rather because I’m very skeptical of the direction of the program with Chaves. I’m very afraid the program is currently about hockey and nothing else. They ignorantly fail to realize the importance of growing a successful football program, which is by far most popular sport in the USA. I think UND is heavily influenced by a couple immoral donors in Vegas with the big bucks, that care more about themselves and their image then what UND and GF, ND actually could develop into. 

If you haven’t done so I would suggest having lunch with Chaves and Tim Belmore or Steve Brekke and tell them what your concerns are. Challenge them to prove you wrong. 

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Would love to give more, but it’s not because I don’t have more, but rather because I’m very skeptical of the direction of the program with Chaves. I’m very afraid the program is currently about hockey and nothing else. They ignorantly fail to realize the importance of growing a successful football program, which is by far most popular sport in the USA. I think UND is heavily influenced by a couple immoral donors in Vegas with the big bucks, that care more about themselves and their image then what UND and GF, ND actually could develop into. 

Hockey.....blah blah blah

Engelstads.....blah blah blah

This ignorant verbal nausea needs to end. 

The FB programs continued mediocrity seems to get blamed on everything.......but the consistent common denominators within the program and the athletic department. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

If you haven’t done so I would suggest having lunch with Chaves and Tim Belmore or Steve Brekke and tell them what your concerns are. Challenge them to prove you wrong. 

Certainly not a bad idea. Tim Belmore is a great guy. But all in all, the current alumni framework of Tim and Mike Mannausau are all guys from the past that protect Bubba and his staff. I mean, why else would Bubba get extended to 2025 after going 5-6? That kind of decision is baffling to me, and very, very frustrating.

I’ll continue to support the program and be at games. I’ll continue to give, but wait a bit on doing more until I’m proved otherwise. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Hockey.....blah blah blah

Engelstads.....blah blah blah

This ignorant verbal nausea needs to end. 

The FB programs continued mediocrity seems to get blamed on everything.......but the consistent common denominators within the program and the athletic department. 

Finite number of resources, and they go to hockey. Tough to win when you don’t demonstrate a commitment via salary pool or facilities, which requires resources. The success follows the commitment.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Certainly not a bad idea. Tim Belmore is a great guy. But all in all, the current alumni framework of Tim and Mike Mannausau are all guys from the framework that protect Bubba and his staff. I mean, why else would Bubba get extended to 2025 after going 5-6? That kind of decision is baffling to me, and very, very frustrating,  

Tim and Mike have an obligation to support all of our coaches and we should never hear otherwise even when they personally would take a different approach. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Finite number of resources, and they go to hockey. Tough to win when you don’t demonstrate a commitment via salary pool or facilities, which requires resources. The success follows the commitment.  

So then hold on to Bubba because he doesn’t have the tools.  Funny with all the football Alumni that they can’t get any support.  Another hockey donor popped up last week, but crickets from all the constant complainers.  Excuse after excuse is what makes a losing program.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Tim and Mike have an obligation to support all of our coaches and we should never hear otherwise even when they personally would take a different approach. 

It’s interesting that the support, albeit well intended, may actually be preventing UND football from taking the next step. 

Let’s see how the remainder of the season goes. I’m not convinced UND will take the next step (win the conference, beat NDSU, compete for championships) trying the same thing over and over. The previous 8 seasons have already shown us what this football staff is capable of. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

UND was doing great under Thomas and Lennon until we failed to move up when everyone else did. Our facilities have never been the top compared to our competition. What did they do that  Bubba is not?

Obviously Thomas and Lennon coached in a different recruiting situation where they could get ND and MN farm boys and be successful at the D2 level.  It has been what 15 years since UND moved to D1 and no one has figured out how to recruit at that level.  Bubba is from that D2 era and hasn't evolved.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’s interesting that the support, albeit well intended, may actually be preventing UND football from taking the next step. 

Let’s see how the remainder of the season goes. I’m not convinced UND will take the next step (win the conference, beat NDSU, compete for championships) trying the same thing over and over. The previous 8 seasons have already shown us what this football staff is capable of. 

The public support is an obligation of the employer for employees until they are no longer employees. What goes on behind closed doors often is quite different. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Obviously Thomas and Lennon coached in a different recruiting situation where they could get ND and MN farm boys and be successful at the D2 level.  It has been what 15 years since UND moved to D1 and no one has figured out how to recruit at that level.  Bubba is from that D2 era and hasn't evolved.

So the D2 coaches couldn’t figure out how to recruit D1 talent? And that includes Lennon at SIU. But some on this board want to give some D2 coach a shot at doing it at UND? Maybe we should be looking at some D1 coordinators for a replacement!

• Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Who knew it was Bubba and his staff are the reason we can’t get phase 2 funded???? For someone who sees the hockey program as a detriment to the funding/support of the football program you sure are just as spiteful as the hockey only crowd! If you care as much about the program I really don’t see why you would hold back your donations 

you know that phase 2 will help whoever the coach is at UND next, withholding donations is setting the program back just as much as bad coaching. Maybe at your lunch with Chaves tell him you will write a check as soon as he fires Bubba!!!

48 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Bubba had D1 FCS experience before he became head coach. Almost every one of our coaches had FBS or FCS experience before UND. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Who knew it was Bubba and his staff are the reason we can’t get phase 2 funded???? For someone who sees the hockey program as a detriment to the funding/support of the football program you sure are just as spiteful as the hockey only crowd! If you care as much about the program I really don’t see why you would hold back your donations 

you know that phase 2 will help whoever the coach is at UND next, withholding donations is setting the program back just as much as bad coaching. Maybe at your lunch with Chaves tell him you will write a check as soon as he fires Bubba!!!

Comprehensive reading isn’t your strong suit.

1) I never said Bubba and his staff are directly the reason HPC phase 2 is not funded. With that said, it is on track to be funded within the next year or two, so settle down.

2) The fact there even is a “hockey only crowd” is a detriment to UND athletics. You won’t be able to convince me or anyone successful in collegiate athletics elsewhere otherwise. 

3) I’ve already said blindly donating to UND athletics is pointless if the overall strategic plan is not well thought out. 

4) Any conversations I’ve had or will have with anyone in the UND athletic department will certainly not be shared with “Sioux>Bison”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Comprehensive reading isn’t your strong suite.

1) I never said Bubba and his staff are directly the reason HPC phase 2 is not funded. With that said, it is on track to be funded within the next year or two, so settle down.

2) The fact there even is a “hockey only crowd” is a detriment to UND athletics. You won’t be able to convince me or anyone successful in collegiate athletics elsewhere otherwise. 

3) I’ve already said blindly donating to UND athletics is pointless if the overall strategic plan is not well thought out. 

4) Any conversations I’ve had or will have with anyone in the UND athletic department will certainly not be shared with “Sioux>Bison”

You can donate directly to HPC phase 2, but you refuse to because Bubba can’t win? I honestly question how much you care about the program because I wouldn’t withhold donations to a FB facility because of the current coaching staff. The one thing you and the hockey only crowd have in common is you both LOVE to trash the current football team. That hurts the university and does nothing to help it but foster more negativity about the program.

My dedication to the university comes first no matter who is coaching or what team it is . UND is #1 to me. I hope to be in your position one day once I pay off my own student loans and put my own kids through college. I can tell you the first check I would write if I ever won the lottery!

• Upvote 1