SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

How long is Chaves going to stick around?  That's the first question.  If he will leave or be fired soon I don't want him hiring the next fb coach.  IF any moves are going to be made, do it after the Missouri State game and give Danny the chance to show what he can do.  

At this point, firing Bubba seems kinda pointless, imo, since we need that buyout money for a team locker room, because they haven't replaced the last one which was condemned and tore down yet.  

Fire Chaves if anything.  Let a new AD start fresh with his own hire.  Do we really want Chaves to be around in 5 years?  If not, I don't see why ya'll aren't preaching to fire him first. 

Last thing I want is to make a FB coaching change before getting a new AD, which could then lead to having a new AD who is itching to fire the whatever coach Chaves would hire.  And if that wasn't the case, Chaves would STILL be at UND...?  Look at the track record of the programs since he was hired...  New AD, then new coach.  CHAVES is the one who gave Bubba a long extension before he needed to by the way.  

This is the guy who should be making the next FB coaching hire instead of the guy who can't fundraise and thinks blocking off the bridge decks is a good idea.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Am I out of line here in suggesting that we nab a NDSU (gasp!) coordinator or assistant and tell them to do in Grand Forks what they did in Fargo?  I hate NDSU FB and their success as much as anyone on here (someone mentioned that some UND hockey fans are Bison fans for other sports - I especially hate that approach), but you have to admit that they know how to get it done.

I do know that UND reached out to Klieman a year or two before Bohl left NDSU to gage his interest.

10 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Wrong and wrong.

UND is not D2. They are FCS. There is a division II classification football and UND is not in that. Get your facts straight before you even attempt to pollute conversation with your biased garbage. 

And there are plenty of people- like yourself - who identify UND athletics as solely a hockey program and nothing else. 

If anyone needs help, it’s the guy who willingly identifies as “frozen 4 Sioux” … man you’re delusional and out of touch with reality. But, if you stay in a small bubble around northeast ND and northwest MN, you can manage, I suppose. 

My god you can't get this, just AOC WOW.

I'll help.

Step 1: Get paper and crayon.

Step 2: List the divisions that college football teams compete in.

Step3: Number those divisions down the left side of the paper starting at 1....

Step 4: Read the number next to the group UND competes in.

See Below for Answer. 

You can PRETEND that there is a "FCS" "fBS"  FBLQBTQ conference names all you want.

UND is not and never will compete in the top  "1" conference of college football.

Stop expecting people to support a program to the same extent as those teams that do compete at the top levels of college football, or any other sport. 

It's insane delusion to expect this will ever not be the case.

Answer key: 2.....     

"II" for those of you who used Roman numerals.

Keep those crayons sharp meow.

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Seems like there is a crowd on here that likes to pummel the hockey program along with its fans and are jealous of the donations some forner players have given the program.   

Answer me this, then why haven't there been any former football players that have done the same for the football program?  

Let’s not try to imply that this is the football fans fault! We have two crowds: 1. Hockey only 2. All Sport UND fans. Only one of those groups is good for the university as a whole! All the programs at UND should support and compliment each other. A narrow minded focus on one program is not good for UND as a whole, which is why UND is in a hole when it comes to our athletic department!

19 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

My god you can't get this, just AOC WOW.

I'll help.

Step 1: Get paper and crayon.

Step 2: List the divisions that college football teams compete in.

Step3: Number those divisions down the left side of the paper starting at 1....

Step 4: Read the number next to the group UND competes in.

See Below for Answer. 

You can PRETEND that there is a "FCS" "fBS"  FBLQBTQ conference names all you want.

UND is not and never will compete in the top  "1" conference of college football.

Stop expecting people to support a program to the same extent as those teams that do compete at the top levels of college football, or any other sport. 

It's insane delusion to expect this will ever not be the case.

Answer key: 2.....     

"II" for those of you who used Roman numerals.

Keep those crayons sharp meow.

Your condescending basic responses aren’t worth responding to. You represent the group of “UND fans” that hurt the overall university athletic department, not help it grow. 

Like I said earlier, you don’t get out much. Go to Fargo or Brookings; they support their “lesser” football teams more than UND’s hockey fan base supports hockey. It’s the reality in this country. The REA inflates support based purely on the venue. If UND was playing in a barn like the good old days, the attendance would obviously be much less, and it wouldn’t be related to limited seats. We’re not in Canada, although I understand geography can get confusing for folks like you. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

How long is Chaves going to stick around?  That's the first question.  If he will leave or be fired soon I don't want him hiring the next fb coach.  IF any moves are going to be made, do it after the Missouri State game and give Danny the chance to show what he can do.  

At this point, firing Bubba seems kinda pointless, imo, since we need that buyout money for a team locker room, because they haven't replaced the last one which was condemned and tore down yet.  

Fire Chaves if anything.  Let a new AD start fresh with his own hire.  Do we really want Chaves to be around in 5 years?  If not, I don't see why ya'll aren't preaching to fire him first. 

Last thing I want is to make a FB coaching change before getting a new AD, which could then lead to having a new AD who is itching to fire the whatever coach Chaves would hire.  And if that wasn't the case, Chaves would STILL be at UND...?  Look at the track record of the programs since he was hired...  New AD, then new coach.  CHAVES is the one who gave Bubba a long extension before he needed to by the way.  

This is the guy who should be making the next FB coaching hire instead of the guy who can't fundraise and thinks blocking off the bridge decks is a good idea.

I always thought Chaves was a sketch hire, just another in a line of bad AD hires.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Without putting a bunch of names down here, just run through the polls of division II football. Who’s been doing it the longest and at the highest level? And for you $ people, they almost entirely make less per year than what Bubba is making. 

How about we start a list of D1 hires? There have to be some good OC and DC that we can pay more than they make now! I’m not sure a D2 hire will cut it.

13 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

You know UND football is D2 right?

It amazes me that you can't get that through your head.. 

Just cause the letters changed doesnt change the reality.

Say NDSu and UND go "FBS" one day.. the only way is the P5 have created a new real top division.

UND football will never compete in the top division of college football.

Period. Ever. and ... thats OK.

Call it Football Confrence Omega Series 1 AAA Elite if you want...

but then FCOS1AAE would just be D2 too.... get a grip.

Reset your expectations to reality.

2) YOU are the main reason there is a division in your mind. YOU are perpetrating this into perpetuity. 

YOU continually manifest your own frustrations about your misplaced perception into a false causation.

Get help.

A little over the top, and I think you mean perpetuating. I agree, some of these football fans here see through a closed lense. If they’re ok with Bubba ball, then they can enjoy watching D2 football every Saturday.

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Your condescending basic responses aren’t worth responding to. You represent the group of “UND fans” that hurt the overall university athletic department, not help it grow. 

Like I said earlier, you don’t get out much. Go to Fargo or Brookings; they support their “lesser” football teams more than UND’s hockey fan base supports hockey. It’s the reality in this country. The REA inflates support based purely on the venue. If UND was playing in a barn like the good old days, the attendance would obviously be much less, and it wouldn’t be related to limited seats. We’re not in Canada, although I understand geography can get confusing for folks like you. 

Have you ever come up with any solution to a problem besides whining and comparing what others have to what you don't.

It's really a life question at this point with you.

So cry, whine, and complain, call names and pretend you know something ... while others just go out there and create the next improvement...

Here's a hint, might want to take a break from UND hockey twitter for a bit today, and right now, in particular.

I can already hear the seething jealousy and accusations of a sweater.... and im sure thats totally going to result the next loss on the gridiron.. ffs

Chaves is going nowhere soon (save the unspeakable happening). 
https://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2022/03/for-und-athletics-director-bill-chaves-a-four-year-contract-extension/ 

His pre-UND resume is solid.
https://fightinghawks.com/staff-directory/bill-chaves/527 

I'm thinking he got here and had much work to do after the run of Faison, Buning, Thomas, Wanless, and yes, Gino. Each had their strong suits but none was an "across the board" guy. That leaves holes for someone to fill some day. Carl Miller where are you. 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Right.  I'm just saying that if people are clamoring for anyone to be fired, he should be at the top of the list.

27 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

As someone who sat through a portion of the interviews with the finalists, I'd disagree on that. 

13 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Right.  I'm just saying that if people are clamoring for anyone to be fired, he should be at the top of the list.

I don't see Chaves going anywhere soon other than by his own choice.

I surely don't see a body of work that crosses into the realm of any rational talk of replacing him.

16 hours ago, iramurphy said:

The programs need the $100, $500, $1000, 10,000 Tex just like the big donors. Thanks to all who do what they can. I give back because the program did a lot for me so I may have a different perspective than some others. Works best for me maybe not everyone. 

They do???  I was one of those donors in that mid to upper tier of the dollar range you stated...and you could have fooled me...never once got so much as a phone call or a card to say thanks over the last 5 years as a booster.

I'm still a fan of the program...but there are causes closer to where I now live that sure appreciate the money more...and put it to better use than UND football has over that timeframe.  Does that sound egotistical?  Maybe so...but I'm not made of money...and a little appreciation sure goes a long ways.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND08 said:

They do???  I was one of those donors in that dollar range you stated...and you could have fooled me...never once got so much as a phone call or a card to say thanks over the last 5 years as a booster.

I'm still a fan of the program...but there are causes closer to where I now live that sure appreciate the money more...and put it to better use than UND football has over that timeframe.  Does that sound egotistical?  Maybe so...but I'm not made of money...and a little appreciation sure goes a long ways.

Wow, that's a shame if true, but even when I was the lowest level Champions club member, I always got a few calls a year and a note or 2 in the mail.

I hope your experience isn't across the board, and I honestly don't think it is.

• Upvote 1