SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber State

Midwestern Hawk

9 hours ago, Wildfan said:

Walking boots are not always a bad thing...or thats what you hear from the big schools/NFL when stars are in walking boots. They say it can help rest up the body part for a couple days allowing quicker recovery or something similiar. I think Last Chance U had a similar statement

A few years ago we saw Santiago in a boot a few plays into the Cal Poly game, everyone thought the worst (myself included) and I believe he ended up playing the following week.

30 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

A few years ago we saw Santiago in a boot a few plays into the Cal Poly game, everyone thought the worst (myself included) and I believe he ended up playing the following week.

Not to mention Toivenen was back in the game after his injury and played the second half, hardly noticeable because we ran the ball the entire second half.

1 minute ago, sprig said:

Not to mention Toivenen was back in the game after his injury and played the second half, hardly noticeable because we ran the ball the entire second half.

Yep, I didn't realize that. I actually didn't realize he was hurt until I read it on here. The Adeoti one had me worried, because he seem to immediately grab for his knee. Hopefully that one isn't too long.

29 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'll eat crow on this. I was pretty hard on Toivenen early in the season. To be fair, the criticism was not unwarranted early in the season; kids was droppin balls like crazy. Though he has really turned it around and made some nice catches over the past few weeks. Couldn't believe he hauled in that one handed grab a few weeks ago (wish it could have been in bounds), but a nice grab. Hope he bounces back quickly.

That being said, I don't expect too much out of Stanley at this point, just because he has been out of the game for so long. I do expect Maag to play a bigger role and step up. Nice to have some depth. Hoping to see Mckinney on more than just the jet sweeps, though that has worked really well for us, and hoping we can see some of those shift Mikey Griebel moves that we saw during recruiting.

True - he and others did drop more than you would expect.

Drives me crazy to drop a pass. Drives me crazy to miss a wide open receiver. Drives me crazy to miss 25 yard field goals (much less have the opponents score two points on a messed up extra point) Drives me crazy when we don't cover on punts and kick offs. Drives me crazy when our punt gets block etc. etc. etc. 

At times I just feel a little uncomfortable about how personal the criticism gets. I respect others opinions and love hearing them! Doesn't bother me what others say. I do wonder how the player or others close to the player feel. Hopefully, I can find ways to celebrate new players doing great things without throwing others in the same position under the bus.

I don't know why I am even going here so I will stop. Sorry for the rant when I am so looking forward to the game Saturday and we have so much to celebrate!

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, shep said:

The 360 guys are saying Toivonen, Adeoti and Tobin all out this week.

McKinney getting more reps? Maag has to be big.

Someone at WR is going to get a chance to shine.  Anyone recall UND vrs E. Washington?  Stetson Carr out of no where, gets a chance, plays his a_s off, and has 8 receptions for 117 yards.  He looked good.......in his last game of his college career.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'll eat crow on this. I was pretty hard on Toivenen early in the season. To be fair, the criticism was not unwarranted early in the season; kids was droppin balls like crazy. Though he has really turned it around and made some nice catches over the past few weeks. Couldn't believe he hauled in that one handed grab a few weeks ago (wish it could have been in bounds), but a nice grab. Hope he bounces back quickly.

That being said, I don't expect too much out of Stanley at this point, just because he has been out of the game for so long. I do expect Maag to play a bigger role and step up. Nice to have some depth. Hoping to see Mckinney on more than just the jet sweeps, though that has worked really well for us, and hoping we can see some of those shift Mikey Griebel moves that we saw during recruiting.

No worries at all. Everyone has a right to an opinion. I just have a hard time with how quickly some fans jump on these guys in an attempt to be the first to post some hot take or another.  I was perplexed at the criticism of TT even when he was struggling because I have seen him in practice and game days do so well. A big agile multisport athlete is never a bad thing to have. The same goes for Aplin. The kid is a beast, he's durable and quietly gets the job done on the line. He's always looked agressive, mean and good to me, even at practice, yet some want to throw him under the bus for some reason or another. Is it because he was a walk-on? Don't get it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

No worries at all. Everyone has a right to an opinion. I just have a hard time with how quickly some fans jump on these guys in an attempt to be the first to post some hot take or another.  I was perplexed at the criticism of TT even when he was struggling because I have seen him in practice and game days do so well. A big agile multisport athlete is never a bad thing to have. The same goes for Aplin. The kid is a beast, he's durable and quietly gets the job done on the line. He's always looked agressive, mean and good to me, even at practice, yet some want to throw him under the bus for some reason or another. Is it because he was a walk-on? Don't get it.

I've only noticed one poster rag on Aplin, and he often posts in all-caps, so I don't give anything he says any merit.

28 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

It was the drops. Waaaaaaay too many for a guy with his skill set. Obviously he figured it out and turned the corner, which we needed.

1 minute ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Who is the WR that steps up big this weekend? Will Brad H take advantage of more snaps? Could we see the REd River walk on get some big plays? This game will show what this team is made of. Time for the next man to step up big.

At least we know in advance that both of those guys are out, some other guys will get more reps in practice week.  Hopefully they will be ready to go, and yes that will be awesome if someone steps up and surprises us with a great game!

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

It was the drops. Waaaaaaay too many for a guy with his skill set. Obviously he figured it out and turned the corner, which we needed.

Totally get that. I was as frustrated as most, but it was a phase, obviously... sometimes I wish we'd pump the breaks when we have a situation like that.  That's just my wish... people can feel free to say what they want, within reason.  For instance, I said early on, based on what I saw at practices, our kicking situation was going to be a rough adventure moving forward. And that has held true. I am not all about sugar coating things, but sometimes these young players just go into a temporary funk. I was just surprised that so many painted with such a broad brush when TT went into his (despite the fact that he was pretty darn good before that). 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Totally get that. I was as frustrated as most, but it was a phase, obviously... sometimes I wish we'd pump the breaks when we have a situation like that.  That's just my wish... people can feel free to say what they want, within reason.  For instance, I said early on, based on what I saw at practices, our kicking situation was going to be a rough adventure moving forward. And that has held true. I am not all about sugar coating things, but sometimes these young players just go into a temporary funk. I was just surprised that so many painted with such a broad brush when TT went into his (despite the fact that he was pretty darn good before that). 

I fully agree.  I'm not for sugar coating, either, but 18-22 year olds make mistakes just like we seniors do and there's no reason to throw them under the bus for it.  NFL players drop passes, drop punts, make an occasional bad snap, miss an occasional extra point, etc., etc., etc.  We're all human.  Let's make observations without trashing people.

Grading players’ ability requires assessment of both positives/strengths and negatives/weaknesses.

Personal criticsm is never appropriate, but there’s no reason criticism of playing ability can’t occur. These are scholarship DI athletes we are talking about that are used to competing 24/7. If someone feels someone else is better than them, that should be competition they embrace rather than fear.

Unwarranted criticism is inappropriate but let’s not be overly sensitive either when someone makes a negative/weakness observation. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Agree. But the criticizer should also have thick enough skin to take it when they’re criticism is blatantly knee jerk and uninformed, and others point that out.  Not pointing at you, so don’t get excited.  Just in general.  Oh and sometimes it’s just fun to be a fan of a team, and, I know God forbid, borderline on delusional and develop a hankering for the Kool aid, rather than be forced to be an  unsympathetic objective observer of a team. Might as well just be a bizon fan in Fighting ng Hawks  clothing then. For me, I say, screw that!  I like a little delusional hope and passion through thick and thin mixed with my realistic hot takes. Otherwise college sports becomes  just a business and not a passion.  Might as well  be an analyst rather than a Hawks fan. I love being the latter. 

Well said!!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Agree. But the criticizer should also have thick enough skin to take it when they’re criticism is blatantly knee jerk and uninformed, and others point that out.

This. It's best for me not to read the game time posts as they are primarily emotion based, not logic or fact based. There are so many uninformed posts.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

This. It's best for me not to read the game time posts as they are primarily emotion based, not logic or fact based. There are so many uninformed posts.

IMO you can pretty much throw out anything said in the middle of the game in the heat of the moment as a knee jerk reaction.  In the heat of the moment in middle of the game I'd probably rip on my own mother if she 'dropped the ball' or whatever.  Not that a person has freedom to say anything during a game......but anybody sitting in stands at any football game anywhere.....if a guy completely screws up...drops an easy pass...or whatever...….you know people are yelling stupid stuff to themselves in the stands at the game and are momentarily pissed off.  It just looks worse online because it is in black and white and people can go back and look at it later....not in heat of the moment.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

IMO you can pretty much throw out anything said in the middle of the game in the heat of the moment as a knee jerk reaction.  In the heat of the moment in middle of the game I'd probably rip on my own mother if she 'dropped the ball' or whatever.  Not that a person has freedom to say anything during a game......but anybody sitting in stands at any football game anywhere.....if a guy completely screws up...drops an easy pass...or whatever...….you know people are yelling stupid stuff to themselves in the stands at the game and are momentarily pissed off.  It just looks worse online because it is in black and white and people can go back and look at it later....not in heat of the moment.  

I'm guilty of this, but on Twitter not here...for the most part.