SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA VS purple cows GAMEDAY THREAD(SATURDAY)

iluvdebbies

5 hours ago, John W. said:

Good to see  Hawk fans praising an opponent and it's staff.....someone made the comment that "Hastings will be coaching at a big school soon"..,. Enrollment currently....Mankato 15,000 -UND 13,600.... I think  the poster meant 'big hockey power'....

Yes, that is what I meant. 

34 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I thought Hain played well against BSU. Was surprised to see him sit both against MSUM, unless he was injured?

I think there was some speculation here that he was injured. I saw him walking around during intermission at Friday’s game and didn’t see any noticeable casts, braces, foot in a boot... (which might not mean anything)  I would think if he was healthy we would have seen him Saturday. 

13 hours ago, John W. said:

Good to see  Hawk fans praising an opponent and it's staff.....someone made the comment that "Hastings will be coaching at a big school soon"..,. Enrollment currently....Mankato 15,000 -UND 13,600.... I think  the poster meant 'big hockey power'....

Not sure that  Hastings will be leaving Minnesota State anytime soon, he just signed a 10 year contract last year that included a pretty hefty raise and a lot more money for the program, also I've heard there is pretty hefty finders fee clause in there too to help keep other schools from trying to poach him, but I haven't found confirmation on that just rumors.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/contract-shows-minnesota-state-s-commitment-to-hockey-mike-hastings/article_39cfffaa-aee6-11e7-bbef-8f4aafbda142.html

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

At this level is a player's speed essentially set or can they improve it by a noticeable amount?

In real game time, I think a lot of what looks like speed is anticipation and positioning.  A sense of where the puck is gonna be.   That can make an average player look fast.   That's why a team that is out of rhythm is always chasing and a step or two late to the puck.  Like geaux says, some players improve clock speed too.  Most of the guys at this level have had pretty good strength and conditioning and speed mechanics coaching for quite a few years though.  

Disclaimer:  burd doesn't know shiat. 

18 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

What’s the story with Senden? Was itnhim who was asked to come in at the last minute due to another commit falling through? 

Yes, but a lot of people thought he should of been coming initially anyways. He was ready - I get the impression he thought he was gonna be coming in, then they deferred him, and then Carter Huber decided to stay home weeks after they announced the freshman class. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yes, but a lot of people thought he should of been coming initially anyways. He was ready - I get the impression he thought he was gonna be coming in, then they deferred him, and then Carter Huber decided to stay home weeks after they announced the freshman class. 

There were also some that speculated that he wouldn't come at all based on his USHL numbers.  It goes to show you that numbers aren't everything and can be deceptive depending on the roles players are fulfilling.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

He has intangibles that you just can’t teach. His teams win - that’s not a coincidence. He’ll be a captain here. 

No doubt. Kid works his sack off and is positionally sound. 

I was bummed to not see Hain as I thought he was good against BSU. If he's hurt, hopefully it's very minor.

I'm loving our freshmen. JBD is so solid, Tychonick looked very good this weekend and Weatherby is a budding stud, IMO.  

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

So that's  why he was a late addition this year - what happened to Huber?

4 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

From what I understand, he elected to remain home in Alberta due to family issues. 

It’s curious though as I decided to do a quick check on Huber and he’s on the roster for the University of Victoria Vikes hockey team. He’s played 2 games so far.

Link: https://www.vikeshockey.com/player/carter-huber/