SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Aaaand UMass-Lowell and Providence College both blow it in game 3’s against BU and BC, respectively.  Groan...

If we can't be happy, I want ALL the blue bloods to not be happy too. Northeastern and UMass have to do their part to keep those two out as well. 

16 minutes ago, NoDak Fan said:

CC MOVING ON WITH A WIN OVER WESTERN, 3-2

LOOKS LIKE WESTERN WON'T GET AN AT-LARGE BID UNLESS I MISSED SOMETHING.

GOT TO WIN YOUR HOME PLAYOFF GAMES!

CC are the new cardiac kids! Man, the last 5 minutes of the game just about gave me a heart attack! Congrats Tigers! 

21 minutes ago, NoDak Fan said:

CC MOVING ON WITH A WIN OVER WESTERN, 3-2

LOOKS LIKE WESTERN WON'T GET AN AT-LARGE BID UNLESS I MISSED SOMETHING.

GOT TO WIN YOUR HOME PLAYOFF GAMES!

CC beat the team that was lined up to play us a couple weeks ago. Good for CC.

Pretty slim chance now for W Mich - maybe they are out? 

There are still chances for upsets in conference tourneys next weekend making 13 and 14  pairwise finishes vulnerable. One spot for sure will be taken by the Atlantic Hockey Conference, and B1G will take another with Ohio St losing.

8 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

There are still chances for upsets in conference tourneys next weekend making 13 and 14  pairwise finishes vulnerable. One spot for sure will be taken by the Atlantic Hockey Conference, and B1G will take another with Ohio St losing.

It sounds like Western had to win tonight to stay alive.

9 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

They are out according to CHN’s pairwise probability matrix. 17th behind 2 teams playing for the Big 10 title. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

They also swept the team last weekend that just swept UND this weekend.
They're playing some good hockey right now.

11 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

That they did, would like to see CC win the next two games, give the NCHC another team in the NCAA now that W Mich is out.

Me too.  I've always liked CC anyway.  They had some high octane offenses not all that many years ago. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

So....SCSU vs. CC, and Denver vs. Duluth.  

How much is the NCHC gonna lose on this one?  

What I meant to say is will there be enough tickets for Denver fans?

You’ll be able to count the combined number of DU and CC fans at the arena in two hands. 

Good thing UMD and SCSU travel so well. Oh wait... :D

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

You’ll be able to count the combined number of DU and CC fans at the arena in two hands. 

Good thing UMD and SCSU travel so well. Oh wait... :D

So it's going to look like a Mariucci crowd? :huh:

KFAN yesterday was discussing the lack of fans attending Gopher hockey  games....they concluded it was a mistake for them to move to Big Ten hockey....NCHC opponents all loved to hate the Gophers and could easily drive from Duluth,  St. Cloud, Mankato , and Grand Forks to watch their teams taking on the 'hated' Gophs...much more likely than traveling from  Penn State or Ohio Dtste...the lack of attendance at games has probably been offset by the lucrative Big Ten Netwotk contract.... But from a fan perspective, a mistake...All NCHC opponents considered the 'big dog' their fiercest rival.....

2 hours ago, John W. said:

KFAN yesterday was discussing the lack of fans attending Gopher hockey  games....they concluded it was a mistake for them to move to Big Ten hockey....NCHC opponents all loved to hate the Gophers and could easily drive from Duluth,  St. Cloud, Mankato , and Grand Forks to watch their teams taking on the 'hated' Gophs...much more likely than traveling from  Penn State or Ohio Dtste...the lack of attendance at games has probably been offset by the lucrative Big Ten Netwotk contract.... But from a fan perspective, a mistake...All NCHC opponents considered the 'big dog' their fiercest rival.....

Opposing fans never made up more than 500-1000 of the 10,000 plus that used to attend gopher hockey games.  I attended enough to know.  If anything, it's the exact opposite of what you wrote.  Gopher fans loved seeing the UNDs, UMDs, SCSUs, etc. and showed up in droves to cheer against these rivals.  That building used to rock when they scored against UND, their true fiercest rival.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, John W. said:

The traditional hockey powers are slipping, so it's hard to say if the B1G was a mistake. I've predicted from their start that the B1G will become the premiere league of college hockey some day - they have the financial assets. Now the B1G doesn't publicly disclose what hockey televising/networking brings in as $ to each U, so that's debatable - what we do know is each B1G (14 members) U gets over $50M per year. Their hockey attendance numbers are always in the box score and their butts in seats are always on camera, so you have that?

ND and Minn
Wisco and Minn
ND and Wisco
Mich and Mich St
CC and Denver

Were the HUGE rivalries in the West.

1 hour ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Opposing fans never made up more than 500-1000 of the 10,000 plus that used to attend gopher hockey games.  I attended enough to know.  If anything, it's the exact opposite of what you wrote.  Gopher fans loved seeing the UNDs, UMDs, SCSUs, etc. and showed up in droves to cheer against these rivals.  That building used to rock when they scored against UND, their true fiercest rival.

I think what has really hurt Minnesota Gopher hockey is that quite a bit of their fan base were hockey fans first and Gopher fans 2nd or 3rd(Pro and High School). When the NHL came back to Minnesota that took a chunk of fans who would rather watch the NHL than college hockey. I think the main thing lost in the move to the Big 10 besides the rivalries is the High School first, Gophers 2nd hockey fan that enjoyed following the careers of the many high school kids who moved onto college and were and are all over the rosters of Bemidji St., SCSU, Mankato St., UMD, and UND. These fans enjoyed watching old high school rivals and teammates that they watched grow up play against each other...at least that is what several of the Gopher fans(who attended the NCHC tournament instead of the B10 tournament across the river) I talked to at the Target Center during the first few years of the NCHC tournament.

41 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I think what has really hurt Minnesota Gopher hockey is that quite a bit of their fan base were hockey fans first and Gopher fans 2nd or 3rd(Pro and High School). When the NHL came back to Minnesota that took a chunk of fans who would rather watch the NHL than college hockey. I think the main thing lost in the move to the Big 10 besides the rivalries is the High School first, Gophers 2nd hockey fan that enjoyed following the careers of the many high school kids who moved onto college and were and are all over the rosters of Bemidji St., SCSU, Mankato St., UMD, and UND. These fans enjoyed watching old high school rivals and teammates that they watched grow up play against each other...at least that is what several of the Gopher fans(who attended the NCHC tournament instead of the B10 tournament across the river) I talked to at the Target Center during the first few years of the NCHC tournament.

Interesting.