SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Exaggerate much?

2016 was the last successful season.

2017 and 2018 were not. 9-13 record shouldn’t lead to excitement nor be considered success.

It doesn’t take much to satisfy your low expectations, apparently. I guess I’ll follow your hyperbole and say you’re the biggest delusionist I have ever seen. 

I don't think anyone disagrees with you, they just get sick of you pointing out the same thing over and over.

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Shouldn't someone have known a little sooner that Case was looking elsewhere?    It just seems odd that we lose him at the very last minute and don't have a capable replacement.    A competent recruiter should always be one step ahead of the game.

You think the same about the Ashland coaches?  They should have known their QB was looking elseware!

• Upvote 1

Apparently, there was a sale on kickers this recruiting season. Maybe a kicker can make Kostich look good? Maybe we can turn one of them into a NG? QB? At any rate it’s a pretty good class. If the QB works out and we get a surprise or two it could be our best class ever. You just never know. 

Not sure what all the angst is about.  The QB from Michigan looks good.  Some things could use a little cleaning up, but he was very successful at a high level.  Anyone who can go 13 for 13 in a big game and has his speed and elusiveness has a chance to be successful in FCS.  My bet is he plays a lot of meaningful downs for us and more than holds his own.

• Upvote 4

As for the multiple kickers I have no problem, make them compete and get better. If we have one guy that can boot it through the endzone on kickoffs, use him for that. If another guy is good at field goals but trash elsewhere, use him for that. It would be ideal to only have one guy for both jobs but I have no problem having multiple if they can collectively get the job done.

4 hours ago, Hawkster said:

Overall I'm quite satisfied with the guys we signed today, but disappointed in the QB.   I feel he's going to be a huge work in progress if he works at all.    Would we still have room for a drop down if something should be available?

It still bugs me that the current regime didn't stay on top of Case to either make sure he signs on the dotted line in December or we have a couple other studs in the wings early enough that we get them.   I think this is one position screw up that is going to continue to bedevil us down the road.    I'd rather have brought in 3 QB's than 3 kickers.   WTF

He got offered by a FBS school, most kids will jump at that opportunity and UND likely could have done nothing to stop it.  

29 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I think Schuster fits Danny’s mold a lot better than Graetz. Obviously he has things to work on but a redshirt year and probably more will definitely help. I’m excited for the kid!

I am certainly not a QB expert but the Graetz kid looked like he had a lot of tools but would need to develop.  I think the Schuster kid looks more polished but with a little less to work with from a physical skills standpoint.  I like the addition and my gut tells me he will be a player for UND.

2 minutes ago, BigGame said:

He got offered by a FBS school, most kids will jump at that opportunity and UND likely could have done nothing to stop it.  

I would call Texas State barely FBS, just over 10k in attendance for their last game. However, I do understand your point. 

This is why UND football needs to be more successful. Better chance of taking a low tier FBS type of recruit. 

2 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I would call Texas State barely FBS, just over 10k in attendance for their last game. However, I do understand your point. 

This is why UND football needs to be more successful. Better chance of taking a low tier FBS type of recruit. 

If not the FBS level, maybe he liked the weather better! :D

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Love all three articles.  

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:16 PM, AJS said:

Talk about a great couple of hours! It really is amazing how this coaching staff finished before the first signing day, getting guys that would fall into my very novice rankings of "Top 5" type guys in the class, now two more who would be in that group with Chandon / Caleb before the Feb 6th signing day. This has turned into a really impressive class.

Looking at every class, are Fort / Nelson the Top CB duo this school has ever recruited? 

Schuster could be a real surprise.  Good student and character.  We just may be thanking our lucky stars he was overlooked and still available for us.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, northernraider said:

Case decided to switch to Texas state because of the coaching change. New head coach Jake Spavital has been the OC and QB coach for Will Grier (future NFL QB), Davis Webb (NFL), Johny Manzel (CFL, NFL), and Geno Smith (NFL). Not the best list of QB's but they all made it there. Not to mention Bob Stitt is the new OC at Texas State and that means that they will most likely be throwing the ball 40 + times a game. Can't blame the kid for going there.

13 hours ago, Hawkster said:

Shouldn't someone have known a little sooner that Case was looking elsewhere?    It just seems odd that we lose him at the very last minute and don't have a capable replacement.    A competent recruiter should always be one step ahead of the game.

There are schools trying to flip these kids on a regular basis. It is a lot harder than you think for the long term school to keep up If the recruit doesn't share it...... especially late in the game.  Danny didn't call Ashland and say: Hey I am going to try and flip your guy.  Some guys like the attention and the new promises they are getting - some shun it - but it isn't always the committed universities fault.

10 hours ago, BigGame said:

Exactly - If a kid decides he wants the next opportunity whether it be bigger, warmer, different style, -  Begging him to stay may not be enough.  Go back a year when Bubba said at the same presser:  "Maag and Siegel made long term commitments and stuck with it" " Those are the guys we want"  Teams trying to flip both of them but they stuck with UND - another didn't and left for San Diego State.  That is recruiting.