SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

11 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

Not sure what all the angst is about.  The QB from Michigan looks good.  Some things could use a little cleaning up, but he was very successful at a high level.  Anyone who can go 13 for 13 in a big game and has his speed and elusiveness has a chance to be successful in FCS.  My bet is he plays a lot of meaningful downs for us and more than holds his own.

Really - it's an easy one for me - Bubba has had a continued inability to recruit and develop QB's - no high school QB at all in last year's class.  When we did get guys with potential he turned them over to Rudy for "development".  The results speak for themselves.  Now, finally, we get a new OC and a stud QB commit.  Then 3 days before signing he bolts.  At the last minute we get a QB from Michigan who had a good high school career.  Other than HS stats it is very hard for us to determine if he is the real deal or not, but there is a nagging suspicion that if he was really good he wouldn't have been available this late.  I am not saying he is not going to be a good player - I am saying that this is a difficult way to recruit the most important position on the team.  The angst comes from finally getting a change in OC, gettintg a stud to commit then losing him, then a last-minute pick-up. 

22 minutes ago, Irish said:

Other than HS stats it is very hard for us to determine if he is the real deal or not ... 

Did we have more than that on Case? On Graetz? 

This QB from Michigan has the intangible: He seems to win (30-6 as a three-year HS starter). 

My guess as to why he didn't get more interest? 6'1".
To that I say: Give Russell Wilson or Drew Brees a call. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

This QB from Michigan has the intangible: He seems to win (30-6 as a three-year HS starter). 

I'm not saying he won't be good, I'm saying it is hard to tell. There are a lot of good high school QBs.  Additional scouting gives us valuable information to perhaps more important factors such as pocket presence, arm strength, mobility, mechanics, and the ability to read defenses.  At this point we don't know a lot.   And to list  NFL QB's with the same height doesn't help the analysis at all. 

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

He looks similar to Case to me - both had accolades - Case had more FB background (that I know of) with his father. 

A 6'1 QB is not uncommon in FCS - Less common in FBS unless a huge stud.  

Also, I am from WI - I saw Graetz play in person as a Junior - I was not thrilled that he was the choice after Case - I don't think he will see the field at NDSU - I think they got desperate and wanted to take him from UND

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Really - it's an easy one for me - Bubba has had a continued inability to recruit and develop QB's - no high school QB at all in last year's class.  When we did get guys with potential he turned them over to Rudy for "development".  The results speak for themselves.  Now, finally, we get a new OC and a stud QB commit.  Then 3 days before signing he bolts.  At the last minute we get a QB from Michigan who had a good high school career.  Other than HS stats it is very hard for us to determine if he is the real deal or not, but there is a nagging suspicion that if he was really good he wouldn't have been available this late.  I am not saying he is not going to be a good player - I am saying that this is a difficult way to recruit the most important position on the team.  The angst comes from finally getting a change in OC, gettintg a stud to commit then losing him, then a last-minute pick-up. 

Seems to me we got a pretty clutch player in Connor Gaarder at the last minute when J.T. Miller decommitted in hockey.  It won't be the last time this happens at this level, so the best you can do is try to find the next best candidate available.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, tnt said:

Seems to me we got a pretty clutch player in Connor Gaarder at the last minute when J.T. Miller decommitted in hockey.  It won't be the last time this happens at this level, so the best you can do is try to find the next best candidate available.  

I'm not saying we don't have a capable recruit - I'm saying we know less about him.  It was a good scramble by staff.  However, given we are in dire need of good QB recruits it is natural this scenario caused angst among the fans - seems like we finally got a capable coach and a stud recruit, then all of a sudden not.  I really hope this works out. 

I mean, it could be worse: Florida State lost out at the last minute on the QB they thought they were signing after the same thing happening in December. They also didn't sign a QB last year, meaning back to back classes without a QB. On top of that, they are currently down to 1 eligible scholarship QB on their roster. They obviously have options with grad transfers and and have some one or two high quality walk-ons, plus already have a QB commit for 2020 but not a great situation for an incredibly high status program.

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I mean, it could be worse: Florida State lost out at the last minute on the QB they thought they were signing after the same thing happening in December. They also didn't sign a QB last year, meaning back to back classes without a QB. On top of that, they are currently down to 1 eligible scholarship QB on their roster. They obviously have options with grad transfers and and have some one or two high quality walk-ons, plus already have a QB commit for 2020 but not a great situation for an incredibly high status program.

They should do a better job of staying on top of that.....

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Incorrect. I would thoroughly assess, which ALWAYS includes both positives and negatives. Sorry you don’t realize the areas of needed improvement. 

So let me get this straight. IF UND went undefeated 5 years in a row, you'd still need to "thoroughly assess" Bubba as a coach.

I believe that says it all.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Norhsidepride said:

He looks similar to Case to me - both had accolades - Case had more FB background (that I know of) with his father. 

A 6'1 QB is not uncommon in FCS - Less common in FBS unless a huge stud.  

Also, I am from WI - I saw Graetz play in person as a Junior - I was not thrilled that he was the choice after Case - I don't think he will see the field at NDSU - I think they got desperate and wanted to take him from UND

The most recent Heisman Trophy winner was only 5’9” ....

Im not worried about 6’1” AT ALL. There are so many other factors more important, such as leadership, arm strength and accuracy, and decision-making. Most importantly, possibly, is clutch play. The good ones make big plays in big games in big situations. 

I think Freund’s offense and QB coaching will make the most difference in UND’s QB play. 

• Upvote 1