SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

1 minute ago, choyt3 said:

True, but he’s a heck of an athlete, too. :wink:

I just don't think he fits anywhere, not skilled enough to be skilled at that level and not big enough to play anywhere else.  He was fun to watch.

Didn't his dad play QB at Concordia, about the same size, carried off the field against the Dragons who lit him up on the sideline........I enjoyed that.  Yes, I do hold a grudge from DL vrs. Staples/Motely days, things got a little out of hand.  Most recent, there was a bit of a truce with Beachy/Gunderson, when the sons played.  

Just now, North Dakota said:

I wouldn't be so quick to doubt this Schuster kid. Kids like that come in with a chip on their shoulder and tend to work harder. Remember another QB for a school down the road that didn't have any D1 offers but was a 4 year starter and one of the winningest QB's in FCS.

Correct! Do we know if he has quit growing? Might end up 6ft 4in for all I know.

54 minutes ago, choyt3 said:

Still wish they would have taken a chance on Jenson Beachy from Perham. Maybe a PWO was offered? Not to disrespect MSU-Moorhead, he has the potential to be better than that. Or maybe MSUM will let him try hoops as well...

Did the QB from Willmar end up signing somewhere today?

Beachy is a decent athlete.  I'm not sure he can play QB at MSUM. He couldn't play QB here.  QB from Wilmar reported by some is one of top baseball prospects in upper midwest.  Also excellent basketball player.  I think he could have played QB here, but he would have had to continue to improve.  Our staff didn't seem interested but maybe because he wasn't going to play FB.

• Upvote 1

A lot of gnashing of teeth over a lack of a QB.  Michigan All State is not easy to get.

Schuster just had a big write up in the Detroit News about his commitment to Ashland, OH, a DII school.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/02/03/recruiting-star-qbs-austin-brown-tommy-schuster-finally-find-college-homes/2762071002/

Schuster’s HS is large and is in unincorporated Macomb County, suburban Detroit, so he went against some of the toughest HS opponents in Michigan and won a championship.  It’s definitely not a Class B type HS.

His school’s mascot used to be an Indian, but it was changed to Hawks.  He will be on familiar ground.

4 hours ago, Feff said:

When have you ever considered anything a success regarding this program? Seriously, you have got to be one of the biggest negative nancies I have ever seen.

Exaggerate much?

2016 was the last successful season.

2017 and 2018 were not. 9-13 record shouldn’t lead to excitement nor be considered success.

It doesn’t take much to satisfy your low expectations, apparently. I guess I’ll follow your hyperbole and say you’re the biggest delusionist I have ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Exaggerate much?

2016 was the last successful season.

2017 and 2018 were not. 9-13 record shouldn’t lead to excitement nor be considered success.

It doesn’t take much to satisfy your low expectations, apparently. I guess I’ll follow your hyperbole and say you’re the biggest delusionist I have ever seen. 

Exaggerate much? Actually not really. You spew a constant stream of negativity on just about everything that happens. Have the last two seasons gone poorly? Yes, yes they have. I have been as critical as just about anyone on here, particularly when it comes to the total mismanagement of the offense, the choice of offensive coordinator, and the struggle of the special teams. 

However, recruiting season is a time to look forward, to try to find some optimism. We got no big name at a QB but we got one that appears to be a project that might pan out. We have a new offense and a new offensive coordinator to try and generate some excitement and success on that part of the ball, and we got some pretty nice recruits in this class, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. Except according to you we struck out on everything and we are destined to be the bottom of the barrel, might as well disband the team and get rid of the program. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Count me in the delusional camp. As a fan of my beloved University, I wouldn't want to be any other way. Always hopeful is far better to me IMHO. If not, you might as well just be a dispassionate, third-party observer or an analyst. But what fun is that!? Crazy delusional fandom is where it's at, I say. I am delusional and proud of it. God Bless the Fighting Hawks!

Ecstasy is one hell of a drug. 

But yes, Go Fighting Hawks

29 minutes ago, Feff said:

Except according to you we struck out on everything and we are destined to be the bottom of the barrel, might as well disband the team and get rid of the program. 

And where did I say that? Again, you’re exaggerating. 

I stated the QB situation didn’t go according to plan, but that doesn’t mean UND can’t succeed. Comes down to Freund and his ability to coach up the offense. 

I am curious how we came across and signed Schuster to what it seems like the final hours of  recuriting.  I know Danny is pretty well connected with Harbaugh at Michigan, I wonder if this didn’t have something to do with it 

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

How about kickoffs going 3 yards deep into the endzone. 

Honestly, given the terrible field position UND has given up recently on kick offs, if one of these kids can kick it into the end zone every time, this will be huge for the special teams unit.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with the guys we signed today, but disappointed in the QB.   I feel he's going to be a huge work in progress if he works at all.    Would we still have room for a drop down if something should be available?

It still bugs me that the current regime didn't stay on top of Case to either make sure he signs on the dotted line in December or we have a couple other studs in the wings early enough that we get them.   I think this is one position screw up that is going to continue to bedevil us down the road.    I'd rather have brought in 3 QB's than 3 kickers.   WTF

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

How do you know they didn’t stay on him? And why would studs just wait around to be our second or third option?

Shouldn't someone have known a little sooner that Case was looking elsewhere?    It just seems odd that we lose him at the very last minute and don't have a capable replacement.    A competent recruiter should always be one step ahead of the game.

• Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Shouldn't someone have known a little sooner that Case was looking elsewhere?    It just seems odd that we lose him at the very last minute and don't have a capable replacement.    A competent recruiter should always be one step ahead of the game.

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/football/lincoln-high-quarterback-cedric-case-chooses-texas-state-after-decommitting/article_d01220d4-d174-52ac-bc5b-02a4feb09644.html

There was no indication that Case was looking elsewhere... The new staff & OC at Texas State came in on him very late. He de-committed from UND three days before signing day.