SiouxSports.com Forum

Coordinators & Position Coaches

bincitysioux

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

You are probably right, I like Freund but having never been an offensive coordinator before.....it could be good, or it may not.  Not sure if I would want him "learning" on the job next year.  I believe it was Mussman's last year and both of our offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator were new, both internal guys that got appointed to that position probably because we were cheap and didn't go out and look for somebody who had the qualifications.  I remembered thinking, man both our O & D coordinators have never had this position at any level before, this doesn't seem good.  Well we saw the results of that season. 

Schmidt was not a coordinator at Southern Illinois, iirc. Bubba was the DCC under Lennon there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

We have a head coach in the NFL at 30 years old.  A few others started in their 30's, I think Tomlin was 34-35 when he started at Pitt.   I think we could have an OC in FCS football at 30-31 or whatever Danny is.  Plus, he played the most critical position on offense.  I would not be too worried about it.

Funny thing about experience. You can’t have some until you get it. 

4 hours ago, SiouxTupa said:

If Rudy is out, I don't think you replace his youth/inexperience with more youth/inexperience in Freund.

I guess I don't view Rudy as young or inexperienced, which to me makes things worse.  http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=209357073  23 years of collegiate coaching experience at the time of Bubba's hire.  I'd be on board with Freund, or even Chuck the Pigskin.

15 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I guess I don't view Rudy as young or inexperienced, which to me makes things worse.  http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=209357073  23 years of collegiate coaching experience at the time of Bubba's hire.  I'd be on board with Freund, or even Chuck the Pigskin.

That's fair, I probably should've said "at the FCS level." But yes, his great offensive mind (as Bubba put it) isn't quite cutting it for this level of play. Too bad Chuck the Pigskin is only interested in head coaching opportunities.

I vote for this guy.  UND Quarterback 2007-2011

Jake Landry is in his second season as an assistant football coach in 2017.  He serves as UW-La Crosse's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach while working in the sports performance center in the intercollegiate athletics department. 

22 minutes ago, UND92 said:

I vote for this guy.  UND Quarterback 2007-2011

Jake Landry is in his second season as an assistant football coach in 2017.  He serves as UW-La Crosse's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach while working in the sports performance center in the intercollegiate athletics department. 

I vote for this guy as well. His offense last was #2 overall in the conference and #1 in passing.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

I wish these coaches would understand that a short pass is just as good as a run. As long as you stay in-bounds, you control the clock and keep your defense off the field. But no, all we seem to get is run, run, pass, punt. That ain't gonna get it done at the FCS level (or any other level).

Interesting.  One of my biggest frustration is everything they throw is short.  Never stretch the field.  Short passes don't seem to work when they load the box to stop the run.  

9 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Interesting.  One of my biggest frustration is everything they throw is short.  Never stretch the field.  Short passes don't seem to work when they load the box to stop the run.  

Threw it deep multiple times against PSU, Studs underthrew just about every time

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Knauf

I believe he will be gone shortly. He should be first to go.  Rudolph should be next. We need a QB coach. That has got to be  a top priority.  We haven't been able to develop our QB's.  Rudolph's assessment of who has the most potential has never been good from day one. Not just  recently overlooking Zimmerman but  Studsrud hasn't developed under Rudolph. What he has accomplished hasn't been because of the coaching.  I would be willing to give Freund a shot at QB coach but not OC.  Kostich shows promise and I would retain him. Kids like him. Special teams need to improve but before I would dump Kostich I would need to know more about how much time they spend on special teams each week. He is a good recruiter and I have heard good things about him.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, F'n Hawks said:

Threw it deep multiple times against PSU, Studs underthrew just about every time

We have to be Thankful we've had Studs the last several years, but he doesn't throw a great deep ball. If you get a guy like Zimmerman dropping those deep passes on target burning trams next year, I think that will really help open things up. If you start hitting on those consistently, teams have to be worried about it. Nobody is too worried about it right now. We have gotten a few long pass plays this year, which we should because they often are 8 in the box. Nobody right now is really too concerned with us beating them over the top consistently throughout the game. They are willing to maybe give up one during the game to key in and !@#$ down the run the other 65 offensive plays. 

I think everyone loves Studs' grit and leadership. He's playing hurt a lot of the time and I'm sure his teammates appreciate that. He's a great Senior.

But he does not throw a great long ball. Is it possible the O coordinator knows that and hasn't "opened up the offense" especially when the HC wants a ground control, manage the clock type of O that can go on long drives (not quick hitters) and give his vaunted D a rest.

Not defending the whole predictability of the O, but I bet when Z or another QB with long ball capabilities takes over, the play book will reveal it and it opens up the running game. Why not stack the box when you know the QB isn't a bomber? Next year McKinney, Greibel, Izzy could be forces. Would love to see what Cloyd do and really no excuse for not using him more now though he is not blessed with blazing speed.

3 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

I agree that bubba is unlikely to make a change unless the situation is dire, but if he did, I wonder if Jeff Tesch from Bemidji State would be interested?

Doubtful, he’s making good money doing medical sales and I think his daughter is still in high school. He’s pretty jaded on how his last job ended and I doubt he wants to get back into coaching. I could be wrong though.