SiouxSports.com Forum

Coordinators & Position Coaches

bincitysioux

1 hour ago, BigGame said:

You are correct he struggles throwing the ball to the flat with accuracy, I guess I didn't realize that one thing makes in impossible to consider him as a duel threat.   I am not sure that is why we don't throw screens because many screen passes don't require the ball to be thrown out into the flat.  I will disagree about the locking on to WR's because I do think he has done that in the past but I haven't really seen it this year except when he is running for his life.  

That is not the only passing shortfall, Studarud also can't throw deep with accuracy and that would be an integral part of being a dual threat

16 minutes ago, Irish said:

If this happened it should be the final nail in the coffin.  I'm really worried Bubba won't cowboy up and do what is necessary.

In our system, we have very little allowable wiggle room for QBs to audible to what they want, or to what many of us consider, "working plays" against 8-9 man fronts.   I heard Zim pushed the envelope.  Just watching the game being called with Zim in you could see it for yourself.  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Play calling, personnel use, Heidlbaugh in Montana, chewing out Zim for calling his own plays against Sac St  (Zim was 11-20 for 179 yards and 2 TDs by the way)

It's far more than play calling - 

I didn't see this chewing out for calling his own play but if it happened and he got chewed out for doing something he shouldn't why is that a thing?   The personnel use is an issue but opinions likely differ on what that should be.  John is a homerun hitter and pretty boom or bust and in a ball control offense I would use him in spots other than RB most of the time.  Brady and James are much better in the backfield for this offense because even if the blocking is poor (which has been a lot) they rarely lose yards and leave the offense in a more manageable situation.  Yes this is a issue but again if the plays I am watching are executed without so many mistakes all the time it really isn't the main issue.  Not certain who made the call on Heidlbaugh but after last season I thought for sure he would be moved to another position.  

14 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

In our system, we have very little allowable wiggle room for QBs to audible to what they want, or to what many of us consider, "working plays" against 8-9 man fronts.   I heard Zim pushed the envelope.  Just watching the game being called with Zim in you could see it for yourself.  

It is usually just a check and the QB can't walk up and call whatever play he wants.  It is usually 2 options especially with a guy new to the system that hasn't played much.  

49 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The offense didn’t make a single drive that resulted in points after the initial drive of the second half. 

Did you watch it?  because the play calling was good, the boys on the field screwed that game.  Outside of that all time favorite double reverse for a huge loss.  Stats aren't telling the entire picture and that is why I actually went back and watched almost the entire second half of that game last week.  Rudy may need to go but on SS very few look at it objectively.  If we are making a pros and cons list the cons side for Rudy is pretty long but I don't think it should be piled on with things that were not his fault.  

16 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Did you watch it?  because the play calling was good, the boys on the field screwed that game.  Outside of that all time favorite double reverse for a huge loss.  Stats aren't telling the entire picture and that is why I actually went back and watched almost the entire second half of that game last week.  Rudy may need to go but on SS very few look at it objectively.  If we are making a pros and cons list the cons side for Rudy is pretty long but I don't think it should be piled on with things that were not his fault.  

I've probably watched it more than you. I was there in person and the offense had terrible flow. You could feel it every time they were on the field, especially in the 4th quarter. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BigGame said:

I didn't see this chewing out for calling his own play but if it happened and he got chewed out for doing something he shouldn't why is that a thing?   The personnel use is an issue but opinions likely differ on what that should be.  John is a homerun hitter and pretty boom or bust and in a ball control offense I would use him in spots other than RB most of the time.  Brady and James are much better in the backfield for this offense because even if the blocking is poor (which has been a lot) they rarely lose yards and leave the offense in a more manageable situation.  Yes this is a issue but again if the plays I am watching are executed without so many mistakes all the time it really isn't the main issue.  Not certain who made the call on Heidlbaugh but after last season I thought for sure he would be moved to another position.  

"something he shouldn't" interesting.... So a qb shouldn't have any input over play calling? He should just go with whatever is called from the box and disregard anything he sees or feels from the field? This is D1 football not 5th grade.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

"something he shouldn't" interesting.... So a qb shouldn't have any input over play calling? He should just go with whatever is called from the box and disregard anything he sees or feels from the field? This is D1 football not 5th grade.

Outside of a handful  of NFL QB's, do you know of any that can walk up to the line and call any play they want?  And yes, QB's are instructed on what options they have and sometimes they shouldn't be making checks and some plays they shouldn't check into.  

2 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Outside of a handful  of NFL QB's, do you know of any that can walk up to the line and call any play they want?  And yes, QB's are instructed on what options they have and sometimes they shouldn't be making checks and some plays they shouldn't check into.  

There have been qbs in our program before that have been given enough freedom to adjust things as they saw fit. Same with other programs at the college level. To reprimand a player for increasing the success rate of the offense is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

There have been qbs in our program before that have been given enough freedom to adjust things as they saw fit. Same with other programs at the college level. To reprimand a player for increasing the success rate of the offense is ridiculous. 

None have been given carte blanche to call whatever play they want.  They are given checks for situations when they see certain things on the field.  If they make the wrong check or check when they shouldn't they hear about it as the should. 

1 minute ago, BigGame said:

None have been given carte blanche to call whatever play they want.  They are given checks for situations when they see certain things on the field.  If they make the wrong check or check when they shouldn't they hear about it as the should. 

None? You know this for a fact? No qb in any program at any college has ever been given this amount of control of the offense? Specifically, no qb in North Dakota has ever been given this responsibility? 

1 hour ago, BigGame said:

It is usually just a check and the QB can't walk up and call whatever play he wants.  It is usually 2 options especially with a guy new to the system that hasn't played much.  

If a run play is called and a QB can check to run A or run B that  isn't going to cut it at this level.  Is that really a check, 2 run plays, not really.

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Not only do I recall seeing what looked like Z changing the play, but I was HAPPY he did!

3 hours ago, BigGame said:

That isn't what I said, but someone who knows football really well watched him in one game and didn't think he was very good.   One game really is never enough to judge a player as good or bad. 

As I recall, that day was rainy in Florence, AL and both teams were struggling on offense. GVSU had been putting up 40-50 points per game in the playoffs, but struggled in this game in part because of the conditions and in part because of our defense. UND had put up 42 against Winona State, 38 against Pittsburg State and 14 against UC-Davis. So our offense was better than most people remember.

52 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

If a run play is called and a QB can check to run A or run B that  isn't going to cut it at this level.  Is that really a check, 2 run plays, not really.

Usually you have a check to a specific pass play, most would have a run pass option but yes sometimes they are just run checks.  

11 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Every good college QB across the country.  That is why they watch and study film.  I was told that Studsrud  has not be given a lot of options and there seems to be a weird control issue. .  Coaches can't handcuff a QB by making them afraid to audible to whatever the QB thinks will work based on his feel for the game and also what he reads looking at the defense.  Putting backs/receivers in motion often gives the QB an idea of what the defense will do and that is why  QB's at the college and pro level are expected to make the correct audible.  If our QB's aren't comfortable doing that then we having a coaching communication problem. If Studsrud is as good as you seem to think he is then the coaches should have been able to develop his skills to the point he is like a coach on the field and should veto any stupid call from the OC.  I think Studsrud would call a much different offensive game had he been allowed.  He has his limitations but I don't believe being stupid is one of them. 

No spread QB has options to call plays and that is the bulk of college offenses anymore.  

5 minutes ago, BigGame said:

No spread QB has options to call plays and that is the bulk of college offenses anymore.  

There certainly are limitations based on the personnel "package" on the field and the spread has options built into the package based on the defense but I strongly disagree that "no spread QB has options to call plays".  If that is the case I would want a new QB and also want to evaluate why we aren't developing our QB's to do so. That to me is Rudolph's weakness.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

None? You know this for a fact? No qb in any program at any college has ever been given this amount of control of the offense? Specifically, no qb in North Dakota has ever been given this responsibility? 

Heck, Idaho St. 2 years back ran a concept in which the play itself had a handoff run option and a pass option in the same play.  The O-line kinda run blocks but stays within the box.  How's that for latitude?