SiouxSports.com Forum

Coordinators & Position Coaches

bincitysioux

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Playing with tempo doesn't necessarily mean playing up-tempo.

It'd be nice to see the plays consistently called in quickly to allow Studs to get up to the line and assess the defense without getting a delay of game call.

I agree, and why can't we snap the ball consistently yet?  That is a big issue and a coaching issue.  You can't have negative plays and turnovers on something as simple as a snap.  

6 minutes ago, BigGame said:

So a missed tackle on a short pass and a long run after is driving the team down the field?  You can't know what would have happened but the play that got them in scoring position was a fluke and a good play but very lucky.  

Even if the tackle hadn't been missed, it would have been a 1st down and the drive would have continued. So we can play "What if" all we want, but the fact is, the offense had to step up and it did. This pedestrian scheme we are running today wouldn't have got it done.

The next thing you are going to argue is that scoring 7 points gives you a better chance to win than scoring 14 points because it somehow helps the defense. George Orwell would have loved you.

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The title game was low-scoring. But I remember the D giving up a late touchdown. And I remember Klosterman driving us down the field for a TD that won the game for us. Under Rudolph, I don't think we would have done that.

And I was talking about the season as a whole, not just the title game. But nice job cherry-picking.

So UND doesn't have any big passing plays this season or last.  Talk about cherry picking you look at two 3 and outs in a half and acts like it's every drive not mention half of the 3 and outs this season are caused by a dropped pass and blown blocking assignment.  Not at coaches fault when a guy is put in the right spot but doesn't execute.  I am playing devils advocate here because I don't think most on the board are looking at the entire picture and if UND starts firing people I hope it is based upon everything not just a lynch mob mentality.  If a few coaches are let go at the end of the season I will not be surprised but I would like it done for valid errors or struggles that they could have fixed and didn't or wouldn't.  

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Even if the tackle hadn't been missed, it would have been a 1st down and the drive would have continued. So we can play "What if" all we want, but the fact is, the offense had to step up and it did. This pedestrian scheme we are running today wouldn't have got it done.

The next thing you are going to argue is that scoring 7 points gives you a better chance to win than scoring 14 points because it somehow helps the defense. George Orwell would have loved you.

You have got to be kidding, a 5 yard stop route is somehow this great and creating play calling.  Yes, and first down with limited time in UND end of the field in a game in which UND couldn't move the ball with any consistency.  If the tackle wasn't missed how likely was it UND scores on the drive, not very considering how the game had gone up to that point.  I was working in Texas at the time and a guy I coached with actually said he thought the UND QB was terrible.  Studs is a duel threat and I was disappointed Rudolph didn't use him as such early in the year likely to protect him but lately he has mixed in some QB runs and it helps the offense.  

27 minutes ago, BigGame said:

So UND doesn't have any big passing plays this season or last.  Talk about cherry picking you look at two 3 and outs in a half and acts like it's every drive not mention half of the 3 and outs this season are caused by a dropped pass and blown blocking assignment.  Not at coaches fault when a guy is put in the right spot but doesn't execute.  I am playing devils advocate here because I don't think most on the board are looking at the entire picture and if UND starts firing people I hope it is based upon everything not just a lynch mob mentality.  If a few coaches are let go at the end of the season I will not be surprised but I would like it done for valid errors or struggles that they could have fixed and didn't or wouldn't.  

This has been a major problem this season, especially in the passing game. Some of our more sure-handed receivers dropped passes they should have caught. So at times there are good aggressive calls that go for nothing, including play action on the first play of drives! 

1 hour ago, BigGame said:

I don't recall much "in the right spot" going on. Most of the complaints have been regarding calls that never happen or players not playing. 

You have got to be kidding, a 5 yard stop route is somehow this great and creating play calling.  Yes, and first down with limited time in UND end of the field in a game in which UND couldn't move the ball with any consistency.  If the tackle wasn't missed how likely was it UND scores on the drive, not very considering how the game had gone up to that point.  I was working in Texas at the time and a guy I coached with actually said he thought the UND QB was terrible.  Studs is a duel threat and I was disappointed Rudolph didn't use him as such early in the year likely to protect him but lately he has mixed in some QB runs and it helps the offense.

Kelby Klosterman a "terrible" QB? Whatever you say. :silly:

But he tackle was made and UND scored.  It’s part of the game.  I’m sure tackles and some plays were missed both ways

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Under Rudolph, I don't think we would have done that.

I mean, you can think whatever you want since there is not way to prove or disprove it, but UND has had multiple drives in the last couple minutes of games to go ahead or ice the game over the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Kelby Klosterman a "terrible" QB? Whatever you say. :silly:

That isn't what I said, but someone who knows football really well watched him in one game and didn't think he was very good.   One game really is never enough to judge a player as good or bad. 

3 hours ago, BigGame said:

...  Studs is a duel threat and I was disappointed Rudolph didn't use him as such early in the year likely to protect him but lately he has mixed in some QB runs and it helps the offense.  

dispute the claim that Studarud is a dual threat. He is a running qb, but his passing skills are questionable. IMHO he has a history of not being accurate in delivering the ball to the flat, so that is why there are no screen passes in the Hawks' playbook. are the dropped passes fully on the receivers or could the ball have been put in a better position to be caught? Also, Studarud's predilection to lock on to a receiver has been often discussed here. That is not the quality of a good passing qb.

On the other hand, if you really mean he is a duel threat, bring on Aaron Burr. ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, zonadub said:

dispute the claim that Studarud is a dual threat. He is a running qb, but his passing skills are questionable. IMHO he has a history of not being accurate in delivering the ball to the flat, so that is why there are no screen passes in the Hawks' playbook. are the dropped passes fully on the receivers or could the ball have been put in a better position to be caught? Also, Studarud's predilection to lock on to a receiver has been often discussed here. That is not the quality of a good passing qb.

On the other hand, if you really mean he is a duel threat, bring on Aaron Burr. ;)

You are correct he struggles throwing the ball to the flat with accuracy, I guess I didn't realize that one thing makes in impossible to consider him as a duel threat.   I am not sure that is why we don't throw screens because many screen passes don't require the ball to be thrown out into the flat.  I will disagree about the locking on to WR's because I do think he has done that in the past but I haven't really seen it this year except when he is running for his life.  

3 hours ago, BigGame said:

You are being very short sighted by putting all this blame on the offense when the defense has actually taken the bigger step backward this season and for some very valid reasons.  UND WR's still don't consistently catch the ball so how much confidence should a play caller have with the passing game.  A lot of people on the board have jumped on the Zimmerman band wagon but I didn't see enough to know he is certainly the answer but I did like a lot of what I saw from him.  UND offense hasn't been good but it hasn't been as horrible as people are saying.  The OL has been an issue, WR drops are and issue, play calling has been an issue but you can likely say that for most teams.  A big issue this season has been turnovers which is different from last year.  

I am looking at the team in it's entirety.  The whole point is we don't have the horses on defense at this time to be a successful team without being pretty darn efficient on offense.  A lot of folks are asking why we haven't made adjustments offensively to at least go down swinging. (personnel use/play calling/QB decision)  Announcers calling our away games are making these same observations. 

If you look up Top Big Sky Football Teams historically it has been defined as - winning teams with an average defense, along with a highly efficient offense. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, BigGame said:

You are correct he struggles throwing the ball to the flat with accuracy, I guess I didn't realize that one thing makes in impossible to consider him as a duel threat.   I am not sure that is why we don't throw screens because many screen passes don't require the ball to be thrown out into the flat.  I will disagree about the locking on to WR's because I do think he has done that in the past but I haven't really seen it this year except when he is running for his life.  

He has done this many times. Locks onto the WR in the huddle and when that WR isn't open he just runs out of the pocket (which he is really good at). But If Keaton isn't 100% healthy and cant run he isn't a very effective QB. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I am looking at the team in it's entirety.  The whole point is we don't have the horses on defense at this time to be a successful team without being pretty darn efficient on offense.  A lot of folks are asking why we haven't made adjustments offensively to at least go down swinging. (personnel use/play calling/QB decision)  Announcers calling our away games are making these same observations. 

If you look up Top Big Sky Football Teams historically it has been defined as - winning teams with an average defense, along with a highly efficient offense. 

Yes, but I personally feel play calling is less of an issue than most on SS think it is.  To me execution of the offense, which is on both coaches and players, is the bigger problem.  UND doesn't have the talent to overcome all the mistakes they are making both mental and physical.  

Just now, GoHawks said:

He has done this many times. Locks onto the WR in the huddle and when that WR isn't open he just runs out of the pocket (which he is really good at). But If Keaton isn't 100% healthy and cant run he isn't a very effective QB. 

So he walks out of the huddle staring down his one WR option on the play?  Pretty easy to stop that but then again I have never actually seen what you describe.  

8 minutes ago, BigGame said:

So he walks out of the huddle staring down his one WR option on the play?  Pretty easy to stop that but then again I have never actually seen what you describe.  

Ok you took what I said and twisted waaaaay around. I have watched him (The QB) (Keaton) lock on to one WR many times when more than 1 WR is on the field and then just bail out of the pocket. Yes, on some occasions the pocket is collapsing which he can run out of and make plays (he is very good at it) 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Go watch the second half of that game, bitch about the one call all you want but outside of that it was a well called game and players didn't catch the damn ball.   

The offense didn’t make a single drive that resulted in points after the initial drive of the second half. 

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Play calling, personnel use, Heidlbaugh in Montana, chewing out Zim for calling his own plays against Sac St  (Zim was 11-20 for 179 yards and 2 TDs by the way)

It's far more than play calling - 

Did this actually happen?  I don't remember seeing/reading anything on that.