SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

< sigh > 

https://www.inforum.com/opinion/columns/mcfeely-north-dakota-high-school-graduates-file-federal-lawsuit-against-und-for-cutting-womens-hockey 

Their efforts would be better spent raising funds for an endowment to restart the program. Instead they keep tilting at windmills. 

I could've sworn, didn't someone offer UND some money to start an endowment and was denied by the president at the time. Or maybe I am dreaming? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I could've sworn, didn't someone offer UND some money to start an endowment and was denied by the president at the time. Or maybe I am dreaming? 

I believe it was the other way around.  UND told them the number required  and they balked.

I did hear UND Baseball was denied.

20 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I believe it was the other way around.  UND told them the number required and and they balked.

I did hear UND Baseball was denied.

You are correct and Golf was later given the opportunity to self fund.  They had to have an endowment in place by a later date.  Interesting that UND is looking into developing more revenue streams with the golf course property.  Could all profits from this project going forward go toward the Golf program as part of that agreement. 

I guess they should check the magical “money tree” that is on campus to get woman’s hockey back for these ladies, I’ll wait to see if they find it :wink:

I’m waiting for the day St Cloud announces they have to cut women’s hockey because Idalski  is busy recruiting players from Europe and Asia. 

52 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Anyone else find it odd that McFeely wrote the story on this and not Schlossman?  And Schloss has yet to tweet about it. Not even repost. 

that is more interesting to me than the actual lawsuit..............

16 hours ago, Old Fella said:

Do the phase 'masoginist have once again raised their ugle heads' have valididy here'.

YES!

Maybe you could recruit one of the twins to spearhead a tee shirt sale to support the girls filing the lawsuit?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The lawsuit was filed Thursday in U.S. District Court, North Dakota, Eastern Division, on behalf of Emily Becker, 19, of Grand Forks; Calli Forsberg, 20, of Devils Lake; Morgan Stenseth, 19, of Grand Forks; and Maya Tellman, 18, of Grand Forks.

do any of these women even attend UND? How do we know they would have been good enough to even make the team? This frivolous lawsuit should be thrown out immediately!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sioux&gt;Bison said:

The lawsuit was filed Thursday in U.S. District Court, North Dakota, Eastern Division, on behalf of Emily Becker, 19, of Grand Forks; Calli Forsberg, 20, of Devils Lake; Morgan Stenseth, 19, of Grand Forks; and Maya Tellman, 18, of Grand Forks.

do any of these women even attend UND? How do we know they would have been good enough to even make the team? This frivolous lawsuit should be thrown out immediately!

tellman?  of the "tellmans"?

We used to have swimming, gymnastics, wrestling,

don’t have lacrosse, should anyone who plays these sports be able to suit since we don’t have them?

these people can show their talents at other schools

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:45 PM, FSSD said:

It's clear that this group wants a pound of flesh on this deal.  Please contact NDSU and have a petition take place.  If there is enough interest they are required by law to start a program.  Problem solved.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/columns/mcfeely-north-dakota-high-school-graduates-file-federal-lawsuit-against-und-for-cutting-womens-hockey

Not sure you want those jackals from NDSU handling any petitions.;)

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/ndsu-president-bresciani-sends-campus-wide-email-after-bison-football-petition-fraud-allegations

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
13 minutes ago, Sioux&gt;Bison said:

Was wondering when we would hear on this. 

7 hours ago, Green Banner said:

Waiting for a bill to be introduced into this year's legislature that writes UND woman's hockey into the State Constitution.

I bet they would have no problem getting the required signatures to put it on the November ballot if they put their time and effort into that, instead of lawsuits. No one showed up to watch women's hockey, but a whole lot of people would love to signal virtues by signing a petition and voting in favor.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Sioux&gt;Bison said:

This wasn't even by anyone on the team or even students at UND at the time. It was from 4 "would-be" students. Wow.

1 hour ago, N of GF said:

I bet they would have no problem getting the required signatures to put it on the November ballot if they put their time and effort into that, instead of lawsuits. No one showed up to watch women's hockey, but a whole lot of people would love to signal virtues by signing a petition and voting in favor.

They could always hire some NDSU football players to gather signatures.:whistling:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Her son will see the display honoring his mom and aunt, Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson, as the school's two greatest women's hockey players, not to mention two of the greatest athletes -- regardless of sport -- to play at UND.

They will then have what Lamoureux-Morando knows will be a difficult conversation.

"Someday, my son is going to ask why women don't play here anymore and I have to explain that," Lamoureux-Morando said. "I want to give [her children] opportunities. You hope when your daughter grows up, she has a chance to flourish and excel in what she's passionate about. But you are also aware of the opportunities she does or does not have."

Have to give one of them their soap box moment. 

Maybe he should have looked into how it costs $2 million a season. 

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

Have to give one of them their soap box moment. 

Maybe he should have looked into how it costs $2 million a season. 

Screw the twins and their whiny anti UND attitudes. What is even more appalling is someone decided to hire one of the twins for the pregame show before men’s games. To me that is like hiring a gopher or Bison (traitor) to fill the job……… oh wait