SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

28 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4593391-lamoureux-twins-speak-about-values-ethics-und

“If there’s a way to be a part of a positive solution for women’s hockey to be back at the university in the Ralph, we want to be a part of that,” she said.

Jocelyne said she and Monique believe it is important for girls to have the opportunity to play in a world-class facility like Ralph Engelstad Arena, but currently that option is only available to men and boys because the program elimination.

“I think to have one of the best facilities in the world and to only provide that opportunity to men and boys, I think girls should have that opportunity as well,” she said, earning a loud applause.

So instead of accepting the FACTS about why the program was cut, they play the sexism card.  Don't get me wrong, these two do a great job promoting great causes and promoting womens hockey.  but in regards to UND dropping the womens hockey program, they are as ignorant as you can get.  

Agreed. I won't click on the link but I assume that it is an article from Brad trying to advocate for the program and make UND look bad in the process. My problem with the media coverage all along has been the omission of the facts regarding why the program has been dropped. Anyone with minimal business knowledge would have come to the same conclusion as the school did.

• Upvote 2

USA sponsored and Government subsidized(i.e. Universities) should absolutely do everything they can to provide equal opportunity and access for women's sports whenever it is fiscally viable. Study after study show the value and benefits of athletic competition and being a part of a team has for men and women.

Expecting Professional for profit sports leagues to effectively create socialized pro sports teams is ridiculous. Now if the leagues choose to do so that it entirely their decision but it already is creating a slippery slope as there are already rumblings in the WNBA as to why the women's players aren't paid more in comparison to their male counterparts. 

The arguments are that the teams should protect their "assets" and if they paid them more they wouldn't have to go overseas to play or hold down other jobs in the off season. 

I am not sure if they understand the definition of asset?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, petey23 said:

USA sponsored and Government subsidized(i.e. Universities) should absolutely do everything they can to provide equal opportunity and access for women's sports whenever it is fiscally viable. Study after study show the value and benefits of athletic competition and being a part of a team has for men and women.

Expecting Professional for profit sports leagues to effectively create socialized pro sports teams is ridiculous. Now if the leagues choose to do so that it entirely their decision but it already is creating a slippery slope as there are already rumblings in the WNBA as to why the women's players aren't paid more in comparison to their male counterparts. 

The arguments are that the teams should protect their "assets" and if they paid them more they wouldn't have to go overseas to play or hold down other jobs in the off season. 

I am not sure if they understand the definition of asset?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4593391-lamoureux-twins-speak-about-values-ethics-und

“If there’s a way to be a part of a positive solution for women’s hockey to be back at the university in the Ralph, we want to be a part of that,” she said.

Jocelyne said she and Monique believe it is important for girls to have the opportunity to play in a world-class facility like Ralph Engelstad Arena, but currently that option is only available to men and boys because the program elimination.

“I think to have one of the best facilities in the world and to only provide that opportunity to men and boys, I think girls should have that opportunity as well,” she said, earning a loud applause.

So instead of accepting the FACTS about why the program was cut, they play the sexism card.  Don't get me wrong, these two do a great job promoting great causes and promoting womens hockey.  but in regards to UND dropping the womens hockey program, they are as ignorant as you can get.  

Jocelyne said the boycott wasn’t just about the women’s national team and getting paid, it was also about making sure there are equitable resources for boys and girls hockey programs through the National Team Development Program.

But there isn't a girls NTDP team :silly:

8 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Agreed. I won't click on the link but I assume that it is an article from Brad trying to advocate for the program and make UND look bad in the process. My problem with the media coverage all along has been the omission of the facts regarding why the program has been dropped. Anyone with minimal business knowledge would have come to the same conclusion as the school did.

Oddly it wasn't written by Brad. 

14 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

They have made some money playing hockey and merchandising.  If they want girls to have an opportunity invest that and start their own team in Grand Forks.  

Maybe they play at the Ralph or elsewhere in Grand Forks but with the loud applause it should be wildly supported by paying fans right?? 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I think it's sad that this thread basically still exists so people can go off on the twins, Brad or anyone who is even mildly sympathetic to the cut teams. 

Congrats. You won, if cutting a team can be considered winning. 

Teams...as in plural?   No, they are sympathetic to one team and one team only.

21 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I think it's sad that this thread basically still exists so people can go off on the twins, Brad or anyone who is even mildly sympathetic to the cut teams. 

Congrats. You won, if cutting a team can be considered winning. 

They are the ones who keep kicking a dead horse. They always fail to mention the actual details of why it was cut and they only cry about one team being cut. They never cry about anything else. They always have had me first mentalities and it is showing more as each day passes. Remember, they didn't come to UND right away to play in the "world class facility" they claim everyone should have a right to play in. No, they decided to play elsewhere because it fit their needs, not the betterment of any programs.

• Upvote 3

Keep in mind how many people on this site had a fit because we had to change the name and logo.  They still haven't gotten over it, nor accepted the fact that the name is gone and won't be back.  It doesn't matter that the continued divisiveness over the former name and logo hurts the University and our athletic department, including hockey. They also don't understand the name and logo aren't that important to winning and maintaining the best hockey team in the country.  That is more futile than two alumni hockey players fighting for the sport they love.

The twins have dealt with the loss of the team they had put their heart and soul into trying to win a national title. To the twins, and to other women, their passion for their sport is just as strong as ours is for Men's hockey,  however, they  actually have more "skin in the game".   They didn't get to sit on their collective butts, drink beer and criticize players and coaches. They were too busy working their tails off to be two of the best at their sport in the entire world.  They should also  be given credit for transferring back to UND to try and bolster the program when they could have stayed at Minnesota and vied for a national championship every year.  Most of us wouldn't have done that.  They are great ambassadors for women's hockey at every level and for women's health.  They are a credit to Grand Forks, to the University of North Dakota and to our country. 

They aren't going to be able to save women's hockey and unless we get a wealthy donor to foot the bill, it isn't coming back.  The fact they tried as hard as they did to save Women's hockey is a credit to them.  Maybe not realistic but if you have worked as hard as they have, sacrificed as much as they did, for the sport they love you might just cut them some slack.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Playing off of ira's point, I don't begrudge them continuing to advocate for womens hockey; but, instead of screaming at the wind they should be in front of someone with the means to make a difference.

Who is that? Maybe Mark Chipman? His daughter played goalie and he owns part of the Winnipeg Jets. Maybe Ms Engelstad-McGarry? Why not the US Olympic committee*? The list could go on and on. 

I'm quite sure that if a donor showed up, with a check, with the right number for a permanent endowment, to fund the program it'd be restarted. 

*Why doesn't USA Hockey have a womens NTDP squad? ... Hmmm .... 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Playing off of ira's point, I don't begrudge them continuing to advocate for womens hockey; but, instead of screaming at the wind they should be in front of someone with the means to make a difference.

Who is that? Maybe Mark Chipman? His daughter played goalie and he owns part of the Winnipeg Jets. Maybe Ms Engelstad-McGarry? Why not the US Olympic committee*? The list could go on and on. 

I'm quite sure that if a donor showed up, with a check, with the right number for a permanent endowment, to fund the program it'd be restarted. 

*Why doesn't USA Hockey have a womens NTDP squad? ... Hmmm .... 

If they want to bring back hockey that is fine but what men's sport is going to come back? 

23 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Keep in mind how many people on this site had a fit because we had to change the name and logo.  They still haven't gotten over it, nor accepted the fact that the name is gone and won't be back.  It doesn't matter that the continued divisiveness over the former name and logo hurts the University and our athletic department, including hockey. They also don't understand the name and logo aren't that important to winning and maintaining the best hockey team in the country.  That is more futile than two alumni hockey players fighting for the sport they love.

The twins have dealt with the loss of the team they had put their heart and soul into trying to win a national title. To the twins, and to other women, their passion for their sport is just as strong as ours is for Men's hockey,  however, they  actually have more "skin in the game".   They didn't get to sit on their collective butts, drink beer and criticize players and coaches. They were too busy working their tails off to be two of the best at their sport in the entire world.  They should also  be given credit for transferring back to UND to try and bolster the program when they could have stayed at Minnesota and vied for a national championship every year.  Most of us wouldn't have done that.  They are great ambassadors for women's hockey at every level and for women's health.  They are a credit to Grand Forks, to the University of North Dakota and to our country. 

They aren't going to be able to save women's hockey and unless we get a wealthy donor to foot the bill, it isn't coming back.  The fact they tried as hard as they did to save Women's hockey is a credit to them.  Maybe not realistic but if you have worked as hard as they have, sacrificed as much as they did, for the sport they love you might just cut them some slack.

What exactly did they do to try and save it?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

That's fine if you think that but I have skin in the game too. You see I spent my hard earned money and got a degree from UND. To get that degree, I had to paid tuition and with that tuition went towards different departments. At the end of the day, UND can survive without WIH but WIH cannot survive (and it shows) without UND and for the betterment of the whole University it needs to be gone. Also, I didn't sit on my butt and just drink beer.

• Upvote 2