SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

7 hours ago, southpaw said:

I think if UND had a better coach, they could have had more success which would have saved the program.  There was definitely talent but they never seemed to put it all together.

Agree 100% with this.

They had the chance to get a coach the went to Duluth and Ohio State.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Wow!  Another article on a former UND women's player...I think B-Rad has now written more articles on the women's team since they disbanded than when they were actually playing.

mens-crusader-knight-costume.jpg

Schlossman's halloween costume..... that he wears around the office daily.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, southpaw said:

I think if UND had a better coach, they could have had more success which would have saved the program.  There was definitely talent but they never seemed to put it all together.

I don't think  UND's Women's Hockey being successful on the ice would have ever made the financial reality work out. It would have just been a bigger story if UND cut a successful program that was hemorrhaging money vs. cutting a middling program that was hemorrhaging money.

Regarding Schlossman, I always found it interesting that his father would tweet out intricate details about UND Football financial numbers before and after the WH program got cut.  How would one get those overall loss numbers, I wonder?  hmmm.  

It was fairly obvious to me to that the playbook was to pit WH vs FB when talking financials, as several others on social media used the same strategy.  Therefore, I am assuming Brad was on the WH side of things and is not a fan of the football program, other than to cover them for his job (my opinion only).  

40 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Regarding Schlossman, I always found it interesting that his father would tweet out intricate details about UND Football financial numbers before and after the WH program got cut.  How would one get those overall loss numbers, I wonder?  hmmm.  

It was fairly obvious to me to that the playbook was to pit WH vs FB when talking financials, as several others on social media used the same strategy.  Therefore, I am assuming Brad was on the WH side of things and is not a fan of the football program, other than to cover them for his job (my opinion only).  

Also, what financials do not show is the amount of donations that are taken in because of the football program. Personally I donate because of the football program. I am a big hockey fan but the reality is they do not need my help. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

One thing to help with this issue, if you see a Schloss article on women's hockey, don't click on it.  Similar to a McFeely column, he knows he can get a lot of clicks just from people upset about him writing the garbage to begin with.

Same for Twitter, just let them sit, don't click!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, green_sioux said:

Wow!  '"inherently evil"?    He said that?

Here is how I see it.  UND had a Women’s Ice Hockey program.   UND recruited players and commitments were made, both ways.    For a variety of reasons, the WIH program was dropped.   It wasn’t the players fault.   It wasn’t Schlossman’s fault.  

The WIH players were dedicated and passionate athletes in their time at UND.   No different than a football, basketball or MIH player on a UND roster.   Having the program cut in the way they did, was of course a rough experience for these UND athletes.  It left these college athletes in a state of limbo.   Most eventually caught on with other WIH college programs.   Some, including alumni, were outspoken about the elimination of the program.  I would expect that passion from athletes.  Some of that was reported on.   I would also expect that. 

A former player who caught on with another program and wins a national title as the MVP is news, whether you like it or not.  Mentioning the UND WIH program that existed only 2 years ago is also a fact.  Demonizing the GF Herald writer for mentioning these things is beyond childishly silly in my opinion.   He is reporting facts.  You can pretend UND never had a Women’s Ice Hockey program, but I prefer to remember those young ladies who proudly and passionately represented UND Athletics in their time here.  They proudly wore the name and colors of the University of North Dakota.   Mentioning that is fact.   Getting all bent out of shape for the GF Herald sports writer writing about the post-UND careers of gals who wore UND Green is just sad.   Come on Sioux-Hawk fans, you should be better than this.

Lol..ok Brad.  Log off and go chase down the girl who was on the recruiting visit that fateful weekend.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, green_sioux said:

Getting all bent out of shape for the GF Herald sports writer writing about the post-UND careers of gals who wore UND Green is just sad.  

Sure, but if even a small percentage of the people who pretend to be up in arms over the program being cut showed a little bit of interest while it was around, well, it just might still be around. That was the problem, there was very minimal support despite the amount of resources the program was given. The team itself didn't help by continuously tripping up year after year not to mention failing to win a single national tournament game or conference title, even when they had 2 of the best players in the world or a roster full of Olympians.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, green_sioux said:

Here is how I see it.  UND had a Women’s Ice Hockey program.   UND recruited players and commitments were made, both ways.    For a variety of reasons, the WIH program was dropped.   It wasn’t the players fault.   It wasn’t Schlossman’s fault.  

The WIH players were dedicated and passionate athletes in their time at UND.   No different than a football, basketball or MIH player on a UND roster.   Having the program cut in the way they did, was of course a rough experience for these UND athletes.  It left these college athletes in a state of limbo.   Most eventually caught on with other WIH college programs.   Some, including alumni, were outspoken about the elimination of the program.  I would expect that passion from athletes.  Some of that was reported on.   I would also expect that. 

A former player who caught on with another program and wins a national title as the MVP is news, whether you like it or not.  Mentioning the UND WIH program that existed only 2 years ago is also a fact.  Demonizing the GF Herald writer for mentioning these things is beyond childishly silly in my opinion.   He is reporting facts.  You can pretend UND never had a Women’s Ice Hockey program, but I prefer to remember those young ladies who proudly and passionately represented UND Athletics in their time here.  They proudly wore the name and colors of the University of North Dakota.   Mentioning that is fact.   Getting all bent out of shape for the GF Herald sports writer writing about the post-UND careers of gals who wore UND Green is just sad.   Come on Sioux-Hawk fans, you should be better than this.

Don't hear much about baseball, golf, or women's swimming though and the fact that they weren't as big of a drain on the budget, I would think they would have a bigger axe to grind. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, green_sioux said:

Agreed.  Also, I thought the article did a solid job of touching on the backstory and not making too big of a deal about the drama surrounding it.  I was impressed by the quotes from Ms. Campbell, who spoke positively about her time at North Dakota instead of bringing up anything negative, which could have been pretty easy for her.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SIOUXpucks said:

Agreed.  Also, I thought the article did a solid job of touching on the backstory and not making too big of a deal about the drama surrounding it.  I was impressed by the quotes from Ms. Campbell, who spoke positively about her time at North Dakota instead of bringing up anything negative, which could have been pretty easy for her.

He needed to touch on the backstory... AGAIN??  Is that 50-60 times now he has addressed the back story for everyone.....