Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
UND92

UND to cut women's hockey

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

He needed to touch on the backstory... AGAIN??  Is that 50-60 times now he has addressed the back story for everyone.....

Without the context from the backstory the rest of the story would be confusing to anyone reading the article who may wonder why the story was written in the first place.  Not everybody who reads the Herald is as aware of the former situation as most on this forum.  Also, there may be readers of the article who didn't even live in Grand Forks back when the program was cut and could benefit from the touching on the backstory.  I was supportive of cutting the program and was disappointed in a lot of the reaction from some players and outrage that attempted to make the university look so evil, but I can also enjoyed seeing that one of the athlete's affected was able to move on and find success elsewhere.  I just thought the article did a good job of sharing the story without trying to make the school look evil.  Maybe Brad has an agenda, but if one just reads THIS story without thinking about all the baggage from the past, I don't see it.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Nice try.  I'm not clicking on it.

Ha ha, no problem.  To each their own and I can respect that :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Why are all the fans dressed as empty blue seats?

At Mariucci, they dress up as maroon and gold seats.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SIOUXpucks said:

Without the context from the backstory the rest of the story would be confusing to anyone reading the article who may wonder why the story was written in the first place.  Not everybody who reads the Herald is as aware of the former situation as most on this forum.  Also, there may be readers of the article who didn't even live in Grand Forks back when the program was cut and could benefit from the touching on the backstory.  I was supportive of cutting the program and was disappointed in a lot of the reaction from some players and outrage that attempted to make the university look so evil, but I can also enjoyed seeing that one of the athlete's affected was able to move on and find success elsewhere.  I just thought the article did a good job of sharing the story without trying to make the school look evil.  Maybe Brad has an agenda, but if one just reads THIS story without thinking about all the baggage from the past, I don't see it.

IMO if you have to explain a backstory in intricate detail as to why it's a relevant local story, it's not a local story.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

How on earth did Wisconsin win it all with no Euro olympians on the roster?  Amazing!

Great goaltending from former UND goaltender and an outstanding rookie from Bismarck St. Mary's.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:
Schloss is really trying to find anyway he can to bring up the fact UND dropped womens hockey. 
 

schloss.png

Honest question. How many people didn't even know we had women's hockey until we dropped it.....more importantly, how many people didn't care that we had women's hockey until we dropped it.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Great goaltending from former UND goaltender and an outstanding rookie from Bismarck St. Mary's.  

Big failure by UND staff in not successfully recruiting Curl.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Big failure by UND staff in not successfully recruiting Curl.

I think she was to go someplace like Shattuck-St. Mary’s to play for UND, or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I think she was to go someplace like Shattuck-St. Mary’s to play for UND, or something like that.

I only have a peripheral understanding of the situation...but think something like that occurred.  UND coaching staff wanted her to leave  the State to develop, while she/her family didn’t think that was necessary.  She stayed in Bismarck, won 4 State championships, and then earned WCHA rookie team and a NC.  Not bad for western ND development.  I also heard from ND parents that the staff didn’t care much for ND kids, and actually made that statement to my friend while they were in Minnesota at a tournament... not realizing my friend was one of those ND parents.  And now the program is dead.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 12:17 PM, southpaw said:

I think if UND had a better coach, they could have had more success which would have saved the program.  There was definitely talent but they never seemed to put it all together.

Idalski absolutely sucked 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

How on earth did Wisconsin win it all with no Euro olympians on the roster?  Amazing!

They did have a Bismarck gal on it though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Idalski absolutely sucked 

If there is anyone to be passed at for the program getting cut, it’s Idalski. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lamoureux twins push to make professional womens hockey better.

Opportunity to merge the two professional womens hockey leagues in North America. Which the NWHL admits to trying to do this past January.

NHL teams have partnered with NWHL teams already to help support their operations. 

Womens Professional Basketball followed a similar path. It started out with a few independent leagues that went defunct, and then the NBA came in and said they'll start the WNBA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 6:36 PM, cberkas said:

If there is anyone to be passed at for the program getting cut, it’s Idalski. 

I assumed you mean "pissed",  I sure don't give him a pass, but also who over his head looked on while Rome burned.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

This blue check mark hockey guy has a lot of good stuff on his twitter page about womens professional hockey.
Worth a quick read for anyone interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cratter said:

 

This blue check mark hockey guy has a lot of good stuff on his twitter page about womens professional hockey.
Worth a quick read for anyone interested.

The blue check mark means he is really somebody, aye?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The blue check mark means he is really somebody, aye?

Twitter says those people are the coolest of the cool kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cratter said:

Is it really such a bad thing if Brad retweets a post by the Lamoureux twins push to make professional womens hockey better.

Especially when the post simply says this could be an opportunity to merge the two professional womens hockey leagues in North America. Which the NWHL admits to trying to do this past January.

NHL teams have partnered with NWHL teams already to help support their operations. 

Womens Professional Basketball followed a similar path. It started out with a few independent leagues that went defunct, and then the NBA came in and said they'll start the WNBA.

I deleted it almost right away because I had mischaracterized it anyway.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So the Canadian Women's Hockey League folding is a sign that women's hockey is viable? 

As long as the NHL diverts its own profits to support it, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So the Canadian Women's Hockey League folding is a sign that women's hockey is viable? 

Just need the NWHL to fold too. Then the NHL will take over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cratter said:

 

"shocking announcement"  :lol:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...