SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Day @ Bowling Green

geaux_sioux

7 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Im not saying he isn't the right guy, I should have stated the jeckl and Hyde aspect.  Poor first halves and good second halves.  Looking for a full game and believe it starts next week.  

I agree.  Better OL play and Keaton has shaken the rust.  Big game for him as well.

5 minutes ago, TBR said:

I was 100% behind this team before the BG game. Now I am a 110 % supporter. They showed character coming back on the road against a good FBS opponent.

They are literally 5 points away from being undefeated.  One dropped pass and one punt clocked td.  Unfortunate circumstances! 

This team is talented and I believe the second half of Bgsu proved it.  Und shut them down!  Bgsu looked like the fcs team not und. Und just dug a big hole in the first half.   

Also, going for two shows me that bubba wants to win.  Love the call!  Didn't work out but usually settling for OT in an away game doesn't end well.  Kudos to the coaching staff 

11 hours ago, homer said:

The team has already proven it can lose games it shouldn't.  I also don't know how many games we will be favored in.  

Wins are a must from here on out.  

This.....^^^^^

Next Saturday is a must win. At some point a check in the "W" column needs to happen and not just talk about wins we should have or might get.

11 minutes ago, hky said:

Were the two long TD passes for BG identical? (Saw one, not the other.)  I'd expect upcoming opponents to try to expose whatever made those work.  

Same play. The second one got a LB exposed. I thought the first one was on Arnell. Same result though. Keep in mind, though, we went against one of the most prolific passing attacks in the nation yesterday and basically shut them down. When was the last time we held a really good passing team under 400 yards and 30 points? Yesterday has me feeling a lot better about our secondary.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Same play. The second one got a LB exposed. I thought the first one was on Arnell. Same result though. Keep in mind, though, we went against one of the most prolific passing attacks in the nation yesterday and basically shut them down. When was the last time we held a really good passing team under 400 yards and 30 points? Yesterday has me feeling a lot better about our secondary.

Amen

Is there a purpose of a chop block?  Personally I have never liked the lineman being told to do that.  Two costly 15 yard penalties for that yesterday.  

First quarter I was thinking the game could get away from UND but then saw constant improvement and adjustment.  Second half was so much better in all areas and although a W would have been fantastic I think the way they played and executed the second half was very encouraging. 

42 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I loved what Fiedler showed on that last drive. Drug a guy 5 yards to get out of bounds on one play. Then he has a huge catch to set up the TD. These plays will be open all year and I feel they are a key to our success. Defending a TE is really tough when you need to key on a RB so hard.

I will finally confess. I am Luke's grandma and so proud of him.  'I missed that play cuz the video from You too was so fuzzy.  I was told to go to WatchESPN .com to get replay but can't find it there.   Any ideas? 

1 minute ago, Finn flick said:

I will finally confess. I am Luke's grandma and so proud of him.  'I missed that play cuz the video from You too was so fuzzy.  I was told to go to WatchESPN .com to get replay but can't find it there.   Any ideas? 

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/_/sport/football/type/replay/

Go to that link and scroll down to the 3:30 games and click on the North Dakota @ Bowling Green. 

20 minutes ago, Finn flick said:

Thanks for sharing.  Luke played a nice game.

20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/_/sport/football/type/replay/

Go to that link and scroll down to the 3:30 games and click on the North Dakota @ Bowling Green. 

Thanks Geaux_sioux.... got it. Lots of Links to jump through but the video is perfect.   Wonder if I c/have gotten it live yesterday?  Now will see if I can cast to TV.

1 hour ago, UNDfan2013 said:

Is there a purpose of a chop block?  Personally I have never liked the lineman being told to do that.  Two costly 15 yard penalties for that yesterday.  

First quarter I was thinking the game could get away from UND but then saw constant improvement and adjustment.  Second half was so much better in all areas and although a W would have been fantastic I think the way they played and executed the second half was very encouraging. 

There needs to be communication by the line to avoid that. Sometimes a play is designed for one lineman to cut his guy low. Sometimes its a lineman decision to do it expecially if the DL is overpowering him or constantly bullrushing, you can slow him down by taking his legs out, it gets dangerous when another decides to block up high, possibly pushing the DL awkwardly onto the cut block. I never saw a replay to know if there was a cut and the OL next to him nudge him on the way to the next level, or if the other OL decided to double team not knowing a cut block was coming up.

17 hours ago, ndlifer said:

I'm really trying to understand where these guaranteed 7-8 wins are coming from the rest of the season

I don't think that anyone is saying that any wins are guaranteed. But you may recall a UND team from last season that finished with a 1-2 non-conference schedule, had a more difficult conference schedule than what we will see this season, and just barely missed the playoffs. To say they are out of the playoff discussion after two slim, non- conference losses is asinine.

I hate moral victories, and whether we lost by 1 or by 50, they look the same in the win/loss column. That being said, you still have to look at the game for more takeaways, and how you want those takeaways to impact your entire season. UND needs to find a way to come out hot on offense, we have started extremely slow the last two weeks, but have showed consistent improvement throughout the game. Not sure why Keaton has had such a touch start to the season, but he must turn it around this week.

I think next week will be tough, but is certainly winnable. Especially at home. Can't discount that our losses were on the road, not an excuse for losing the games, but it is a contributing factor. We can't kid ourselves into thinking that we have such a home field advantage at the Alerus, but that other teams don't in their stadiums.

I think we have seen two of the tough defenses on our schedule already, which does bode well for our run game and our offense as a whole. It was nice to see some flashes from Santiago in the second half yesterday, and hopefully next weekend he can really break free.

I'm not jumping ship on this team yet. Once they get a win (next Saturday), I think they will continue to build momentum.

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This doesn't surprise me that much. It is much harder to go from bad to good than it is to go from good to great. It took Roger Thomas six years to make the playoffs and seven to win a playoff game. And he started out with a similar mess to what Bubba started out with. Now, I don't think it is going to take Bubba six years to make the playoffs, as we have better facilities than we had in the late 1980's. But people should not be surprised that the team is still trying to learn how to win games, especially close games. That isn't going to happen as quickly as most of us would want. That next step is tricky and it might not happen until next season. But if Bubba continues to recruit well, we'll get there.

Not buying this excuse - It does take time to rebuild, but mainly in getting in some horses and getting them some weight training - also a few burners and skill players.  Making routine blocks and catches with games on the line doesn't take years to develop.  Hell, freshman can and should make these plays.  I know we have shown some big positives the first two games, but it is real frustrating to be 0-2 at this point.  

1 hour ago, Finn flick said:

A grandmother that uses "cuz"?  Oh, my.

I would love to have some user demographics for these boards.  I suspect that grandmothers are few and far between. :) 

35 minutes ago, Irish said:

Not buying this excuse - It does take time to rebuild, but mainly in getting in some horses and getting them some weight training - also a few burners and skill players.  Making routine blocks and catches with games on the line doesn't take years to develop.  Hell, freshman can and should make these plays.  I know we have shown some big positives the first two games, but it is real frustrating to be 0-2 at this point.  

I would argue that the hardest position to develop is o line so making routine blocks consistently does take time.  Getting the right kids who are physically ready to do that is difficult. 

The position that was most lacking depth and talent when this staff took over was the oline.  

51 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Also want to mention how impressed I was with our corners yesterday, minus the to home run balls. Overall, they really played pretty well. Harris played awesome and the tyus carter INT was really sweet. Hope this group continues to develop, especially for big sky play.

The long TDs weren't on the corners. They did fantastic yesterday.