SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Day @ Bowling Green

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Bollant. Ran a 4.37 40 this spring. Currently a DB.

Wow! That is blazing...if hands/ball security are not an issue, get him on the field with the rock some way (return/receiver/jet sweeps).

Heck even a decoy to free up some space in the box and stretch the field.

Lord knows we need some speed out there

Many attributes make up a good football player; many more than solely speed. Yes, UND football needs more speed, but it needs it in the form of more overall talented football players. Smart, tough, physical attributes are very important to UND football, as I think they should be. Those attributes are recruitable to here in North Dakota and Minnesota. 

To make things simple, UND needs to recruit some fast players that are overall good football players. Tough to do because the kids with both good numbers and good tapes are the ones going to the Big 10. But, as facilities improve and, hopefully, wins start coming, UND should be in the running for some of that top tier talent in ND, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Many attributes make up a good football player; many more than solely speed. Yes, UND football needs more speed, but it needs it in the form of more overall talented football players. Smart, tough, physical attributes are very important to UND football, as I think they should be. Those attributes are recruitable to here in North Dakota and Minnesota. 

To make things simple, UND needs to recruit some fast players that are overall good football players. Tough to do because the kids with both good numbers and good tapes are the ones going to the Big 10. But, as facilities improve and, hopefully, wins start coming, UND should be in the running for some of that top tier talent in ND, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. 

There's plenty of speed in Florida. Wouldn't mind bringing in a few kids from there each year, especially when you consider our recruiting coordinator has very deep connections in the Miami area.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

There's plenty of speed in Florida. Wouldn't mind bringing in a few kids from there each year, especially when you consider our recruiting coordinator has very deep connections in the Miami area.

Everyone knows the best players in the country come from down south. Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, etc. Just sayin. :cool: Craig James former SMU Mustang and ESPN commentator was half of the Pony Express with Eric Dickerson. White chocolate with some speed. Bolant could be a nice wrinkle a few times a game especially in the kicking game.

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yah but I think the "track" record on southern recruits is not that great...homesickness, weather, off field issues.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Looks good on paper, but are those Florida boys really going to want to stick around here for 4 to 5 years? Doubtful. 

There's plenty of "speed" to find in Minneapolis, Chicago, Denver, etc. and those kids are familiar with cold weather. It's just a matter of making it a priority and then capitalizing on it; easier said than done but winning and making the playoffs will help tremendously. FBS wins are really good for recruiting purposes too (for direct comparison sake) as are facility upgrades. Memorial Stadium just doesn't allow UND to compete in terms of coaching offices, meeting rooms, locker rooms, etc. Desperate need area in terms of upgrade; need phase II of HPC complete ASAP. 

From what I've been told, the players and recruits actually enjoy Grand Forks off the field so being homesick is not a problem. Most commmit immediately during visits for a variety of reasons. And winning cures most ailments no matter where you are. Many parents from the southern tier that care about their sons and daughters future's feel good about UND as a place to get an education. With streaming of games online, it makes it easier to be far from home. The Dakotas are attractive to kids who love football.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Homesickness can be cured with winning.  Our program is more legit now so I think we'd be more success with some Florida or even Cali players. Maybe Clive can be our North Dakota ambassador.

4 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

From what I've been told, the players and recruits actually enjoy Grand Forks off the field so being homesick is not a problem. Most commmit immediately during visits for a variety of reasons. And winning cures most ailments no matter where you are. Many parents from the southern tier that care about their sons and daughters future's feel good about UND as a place to get an education. With streaming of games online, it makes it easier to be far from home. The Dakotas are attractive to kids who love football.

I respectfully disagree, but I suppose it is worth a try as long as a class with Florida and California players doesn't backfire and leave a huge recruiting gap as a result. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I respectfully disagree, but I suppose it is worth a try as long as a class with Florida and California players doesn't backfire and leave a huge recruiting gap as a result. 

That's what happened with Mussman and it obviously backfired. It appears as if Bubba is willing to go outside the area, but he would rather do so for transfers than freshmen. This approach makes sense but the problem is I don't know if he will be able to recruit enough talent locally to become a relevant program nationally.

To offset this I really would like to see this staff hit Canada harder as UND has always had a niche up there and has name recognition due to the hockey program. I know a couple of kids were lost late in the process a couple of years ago which hurt, but we have also have landed Wilson, Bennett and Oliveira and each looks to be a future difference maker.

Continue to go after the midwest kids as the base of the team but also bring in 3-4 impact Canadians each year along with some transfers to add speed and production at the skill positions and UND might be on to something. I think recruiting high school seniors in FL, TX, AZ and CA is fools gold and something the staff wants to avoid.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Doesn't matter where the kid is from. You can find the right kid anywhere. You can also find plenty of rotten apples up here. It's knowing how to pick them more than where you look.

North Dakota's population and prep football system is obviously a challenge, so don't gloss over that. With that said, every year there are a few DI caliber kids from ND that UND needs to, and recently has, recruit. NDSU has been tough to UND in that regard, but UND needs to continue to press North Dakota and Minnesota hard as its pipeline. Bubba knows this. I agree a couple kids from outside the UND area every recruiting cycle is just fine if they are potential difference makers *WITH* the characteristics of good student-athletes and citizens.

• 1 month later...