SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Day @ Bowling Green

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, Irish said:

Not buying this excuse - It does take time to rebuild, but mainly in getting in some horses and getting them some weight training - also a few burners and skill players.  Making routine blocks and catches with games on the line doesn't take years to develop.  Hell, freshman can and should make these plays.  I know we have shown some big positives the first two games, but it is real frustrating to be 0-2 at this point.  

Not an excuse, just a fact of life in sports. I suppose you were down on Roger Thomas in the late 1980's when they weren't unbeatable right away?

1 hour ago, homer said:

I would argue that the hardest position to develop is o line so making routine blocks consistently does take time.  Getting the right kids who are physically ready to do that is difficult. 

The position that was most lacking depth and talent when this staff took over was the oline.  

Agree about the O line, but this is simple punt protection blocking - a block that is make over 9-10 times.  The statisticaly top punt blocking FCS team only blocked 5 out of 83 punts.  We should be able to give this protection.  The catch is harder to estimate, but I think a 7 or 8 out of 10 catch.  We shot ourselves in the foot twice, plain and simple while our rivals to the south did the exact opposite.  I am really tired of hearing from their fans. The time to put it together is now.

4 hours ago, UNDfan2013 said:

Is there a purpose of a chop block?  Personally I have never liked the lineman being told to do that.  Two costly 15 yard penalties for that yesterday.  

First quarter I was thinking the game could get away from UND but then saw constant improvement and adjustment.  Second half was so much better in all areas and although a W would have been fantastic I think the way they played and executed the second half was very encouraging. 

Cut and chop are different most people don't seem to grasp the difference.  Chop or High/Low is illegal and cut of the legs isn't and I generally don't like cutting (if you miss you can't recover) but at times because of position and angle it's the only way to block a guy.  I actually thought the chop call was questionable because the d lineman engaged UND's O linemen in front of him but the UND guy was zone blocking and trying to get the second level.  The lineman from UND that went for the cut can't control what the defensive lineman does and certainly couldn't stop once he had thrown to run through the defenders legs. 

Random thoughts:

The corners were outstanding yesterday. Harris is turning into a big time player. The safeties however were not good. BG ran the same play on both long TD's and either there was a blown coverage or Arnell just isn't that good. Reyes got burned on the last TD, took poor angles at times and he never wraps up. Overrated in my opinion.

Both guards cannot handle penetration from the 3 technique. 76 had a better game than 65 however. Until they get this fixed the running game is going to have problems. The pass pro however was pretty decent.

The best thing about Studsrud is that he doesn't turn the ball over. He also made some decent throws at times yesterday. However the rolling out 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage in the face of pressure like it's Tecmo Bowl has to stop. He needs to step up in the pocket and run more when faced with pressure.

Not enough speed at the skill positions. Santiago is the only home run hitter and the defenses know it. The young receivers are decent possession types but not having Georges is going to be a huge problem all year.

Biggest loss from last year's team is not Ratelle or Grady, it's Adler. He was outstanding towards the end of last year of setting the edge and lead blocking for Santiago. In addition to the problems with the guards, the perimeter blocking from the receivers and tight ends/fullbacks has to improve.

They are finally getting some linebackers that can get depth on their drops in pass coverage. I was pretty impressed with O'Brien and Johnson in coverage yesterday. This has been a huge problem for years with this program and it looks to be getting better.

Defensive line did a decent job after the first two drives. Played a lot of guys. The starters do a nice job and I also like Greer off the second unit. He's not real big but somehow causes problems.

Don't have a problem with the decision to go for 2, but I do have a problem with the personnel used. It was obviously set up to be a high/low look with the 2 receivers on the roll out. Why use 6'2" Carr as the back guy when you've got a couple of 6'5" guys? Doesn't make sense.

I think all of the talk of going 8-1 and still making the playoffs is crazy. Oline isn't good enough and lack of play makers on offense is going to make it too tough to score. Defense is pretty good but they won't win on that alone. 5 win team? If they win the next two (not likely in my opinion) then I guess there is a shot at 6 wins.

Bottom line is that winners win. Our friends to the south have been in 2 similar games and won them both. UND lost them both. Schweigert is a great guy and he says the right things. He's also 34-34 in six plus years as a head coach. Just sayin.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, RD17 said:

Random thoughts:

The corners were outstanding yesterday. Harris is turning into a big time player. The safeties however were not good. BG ran the same play on both long TD's and either there was a blown coverage or Arnell just isn't that good. Reyes got burned on the last TD, took poor angles at times and he never wraps up. Overrated in my opinion.

Both guards cannot handle penetration from the 3 technique. 76 had a better game than 65 however. Until they get this fixed the running game is going to have problems. The pass pro however was pretty decent.

The best thing about Studsrud is that he doesn't turn the ball over. He also made some decent throws at times yesterday. However the rolling out 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage in the face of pressure like it's Tecmo Bowl has to stop. He needs to step up in the pocket and run more when faced with pressure.

Not enough speed at the skill positions. Santiago is the only home run hitter and the defenses know it. The young receivers are decent possession types but not having Georges is going to be a huge problem all year.

Biggest loss from last year's team is not Ratelle or Grady, it's Adler. He was outstanding towards the end of last year of setting the edge and lead blocking for Santiago. In addition to the problems with the guards, the perimeter blocking from the receivers and tight ends/fullbacks has to improve.

They are finally getting some linebackers that can get depth on their drops in pass coverage. I was pretty impressed with O'Brien and Johnson in coverage yesterday. This has been a huge problem for years with this program and it looks to be getting better.

Defensive line did a decent job after the first two drives. Played a lot of guys. The starters do a nice job and I also like Greer off the second unit. He's not real big but somehow causes problems.

Don't have a problem with the decision to go for 2, but I do have a problem with the personnel used. It was obviously set up to be a high/low look with the 2 receivers on the roll out. Why use 6'2" Carr as the back guy when you've got a couple of 6'5" guys? Doesn't make sense.

I think all of the talk of going 8-1 and still making the playoffs is crazy. Oline isn't good enough and lack of play makers on offense is going to make it too tough to score. Defense is pretty good but they won't win on that alone. 5 win team? If they win the next two (not likely in my opinion) then I guess there is a shot at 6 wins.

Bottom line is that winners win. Our friends to the south have been in 2 similar games and won them both. UND lost them both. Schweigert is a great guy and he says the right things. He's also 34-34 in six plus years as a head coach. Just sayin.

After watching the Weber vs USD game and MSU vs Idaho game.   I'm quite confident we win both games.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So, are you calling for a coaching change because we aren't unbeatable in his third year of rebuilding a program that was totally on the rocks when he got here?

Cripes, our society has become so addicted to instant gratification. Good things come to those who wait. NDSU had their struggles a few years back as well.

No, he has an issue with Bubba from back in the Duluth days.  Constantly takes shots at him on here.  Like people on here are claiming Bubba is the next Knute Rockne or something.  We like him but that doesn't mean we think he is the best coach in the country.

RD17 chimes in once or twice a year after cherry-picking games to watch and makes all-encompassing statements.  Whatever.  Yah, Reyes sucks.  :silly::silly:

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The long TDs weren't on the corners. They did fantastic yesterday.

Agreed, If I recall Arnell got burned on one. Can't remember which LB got burned on the second, maybe Taj?

Hope the corners keep it up. Still can't figure out how Tyus hauled in that one interception.

10 hours ago, RD17 said:

Random thoughts:

I checked out when I read that Reyes was overrated.  Wow!!!

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't think that anyone is saying that any wins are guaranteed. But you may recall a UND team from last season that finished with a 1-2 non-conference schedule, had a more difficult conference schedule than what we will see this season, and just barely missed the playoffs. To say they are out of the playoff discussion after two slim, non- conference losses is asinine.

I hate moral victories, and whether we lost by 1 or by 50, they look the same in the win/loss column. That being said, you still have to look at the game for more takeaways, and how you want those takeaways to impact your entire season. UND needs to find a way to come out hot on offense, we have started extremely slow the last two weeks, but have showed consistent improvement throughout the game. Not sure why Keaton has had such a touch start to the season, but he must turn it around this week.

I think next week will be tough, but is certainly winnable. Especially at home. Can't discount that our losses were on the road, not an excuse for losing the games, but it is a contributing factor. We can't kid ourselves into thinking that we have such a home field advantage at the Alerus, but that other teams don't in their stadiums.

I think we have seen two of the tough defenses on our schedule already, which does bode well for our run game and our offense as a whole. It was nice to see some flashes from Santiago in the second half yesterday, and hopefully next weekend he can really break free.

I'm not jumping ship on this team yet. Once they get a win (next Saturday), I think they will continue to build momentum.

Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote this, as we went 2-1 in non-conference last season, not 1-2. But i still maintain that we have a softer conference schedule this year. Playoffs are absolutely not out of the picture, and this team just needs to keep moving forward. Beat USD!

10 hours ago, RD17 said:

Random thoughts:

Possibly one of the dumbest things I've read on this board.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote this, as we went 2-1 in non-conference last season, not 1-2. But i still maintain that we have a softer conference schedule this year. Playoffs are absolutely not out of the picture, and this team just needs to keep moving forward. Beat USD!

Our road vs home conference schedule sets up nicely this year.   We will know more about Poly and SUU in the coming weeks but those games could be against ranked teams.  

If we can get by Mont. St. we should br favored in remaining road games.  

How about UND gets into the win column Saturday and then we go from there?  At some point you are what your record actually is.  0-3 would mean you are not a good FB team at that stage regardless of what the remaining schedule looks like.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

How about UND gets into the win column Saturday and then we go from there?  At some point you are what your record actually is.  0-3 would mean you are not a good FB team at that stage regardless of what the remaining schedule looks like.

Totally.  I can respect these first two games.  they played tough . . . but "W's matter" should be their new moto.  A close loss is still a loss, and playoffs aren't played by teams with losses.  If they can get their wheels under them and get some wins, I'd like to see some blow-out scores rolled up to help cover their tracks on these first two games.