SiouxSports.com Forum

Stony Brook Seawolves

geaux_sioux

8 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Bif difference betweeen juming ship, and being disappointed in the showing. Most know this is a game we should have won, but we didn't close out the game. Offense didnt do even close to enough, and that punt Block killed us.

Listen to the tone of some of these posters. Some of them have mentally checked out of FB and are looking ahead to October 1st.

First, I didn't like how close SB was getting to the punter in the first half. That was not adjusted at halftime. 

Next, it's the first game. On the road. With a new offensive line. Will they see a defensive front like that again this season? Coach Knauf will make adjustments as warranted. 

Additionally, here's hoping SB wins the CAA this season. 

Finally, just win the next game. 

• Upvote 2

Losing Clive hurts. But they took two true freshman receivers on the road. Time for the boys to become men. 

But here's the wacky thought -- does losing Clive (a) pull the redshirt off another freshman, like the good receiving TE, and (b) does this put Santiago into the slot more often with Brady or Oscar in the backfield. Why not put the best weapons out on offense. Or better: Who wants to see Santiago coming across on a jet sweep. Surely not opposing defenses.

Thinking a little more about a Santiago in the slot once in a while scenario:

First, it's a total mismatch on a LB as far as speed if John runs a route. That moves a safety over the top for support. Brady and Oscar would love that. 

Next, if you motion him across (jet sweep) that forces the CB on the side he's running toward to make a decision: either stay on top of the receiver on that side and get blocked and possibly lose contain or shift to outside leverage (in the hope of keeping Santiago inside, contained, where there's tackling help) but that gives the WR the quick inside slant, and that's a throw Studsrud can make. 

A lot of whining that the season is over already. I understand the emotion in losing, especially like that, but remember that half the teams out there lose their first game. The season is not over. Even if we go 0-2, the season is still not lost, we have a very favorable conference schedule waiting for us still.

Last night confirmed that this team is not where it needs to be, to be talked about as a top contender yet. There was a lot of complaining when we were picked 4th in the Big Sky; last night showed why we were not higher. That does not mean that we can't finish higher, or are not capable of being better, but it does show that we still have a long ways to go in preparing and executing.

First, have to give credit where credit is due. Stony Brook had a tremendous defense. Again there was a lot of bickering last night about them being the best in the FCS or who was better (them or NDSU). Doesn't matter, they are a good defense, and whether they are 1, 2, 5, 8 etc; they will be one of the top in the FCS.

On the flip side, that was the most anemic I have seen our offense in a while. I like Studs, but he looked terrible. He looked uncomfortable and rushed (credit to the D), but even when he had time his throws were off target and lacked zip. I trust he will shake this off and get back to being the kid we saw at the end of last year. Without any sort of passing game, SB was able to do exactly what they wanted focus completely on stopping the run game, and keeping our offense off the field. Our defense had to be exhausted by half time.

*Side note: I was really shocked by some of the plays that Rudolph was calling, especially in 3rd and 8 to 3rd and 12 type situations. You still have an opportunity to get that first down, and he was calling soft toss plays, which drops the ball back even further and give their D more time to penetrate the O line.

Overall, that is truly a game that we lost, rather than them winning. I'll give them the first TD, even though they fumbled it into the endzone, as they probably would have scored anyway. But the blocked punt was ridiculous. On the flip size, we left a lot of points out there. Did we fumble twice within scoring distance? I was screaming at the tv when Clive fumbled. I absolutely hate it when kids stick the ball out where anyone can grab it, or knock it loose to try to gain an extra inch or two; especially when you have already got the first down. If he had tucked the ball in safely and gone down, you are likely talking about a UND victory where we don't lose our top receiver.

Remeber, the season is not lost. We still have a strong D (secondary does scare me), great RBs, and a QB who we know is better than his performance last night. As fans we can mope a little bit about the loss, it is certainly a punch to the gut of our high expectations; but the players need to shake it off and get ready for next Saturday. Bowling Green is still a winnable game, and picking up a win there would do a lot for the confidence of the team and the fans.

• Upvote 2

Just now, darell1976 said:

When is someone going to blame the new logo for the loss. ;)

Good point! I'm sure Studs was so confused with the lack of the interlocking ND, that he didn't really know where to focus when throwing. Darell just solved the mystery of the anemic offense! :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Listen to the tone of some of these posters. Some of them have mentally checked out of FB and are looking ahead to October 1st.

I agree, some of these posts are ridiculous. Its ok to be disappoint, but there is a long way to go before our season is over, or a failure.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I was at the game last night. Tough one for the offense. 

Bubba was really upset with the officials after Clive got hurt.  Don't know if was mad about how long they let the play go or if he thought it was a dirty play.   Anybody have any insight?  no replay or commentary in stadium. 

I thought they should have taken a look at it via replay.  For the times they went to the booth, that call of him being down was as close as any.  

Bottom line this team lost a game they needed to win and should have won. I get all the hype coming in but that was an egg laid. I also get the SB D ranks 2nd all time only behind the '85 CHI Bears. I also understand it's only one game but that performance last night was not good.

I was really bothered by the play calling on 3rd and 4th down of our last possession.  We were moving the ball well and looked poised to score a late TD.  We got too cute in the play calling, especially on 3rd down.  Run the ball up the middle...both times if you have to.  That, or sneak it with Studsrud.  That is the point of the game where we obviously had to keep the chains moving, and the coaches made bad calls.  Frustrating.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Note to self....its ok to like BOTH football AND hockey.  If people are checking out on football already, they probably weren't that big a pigskin fan in the first place.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I was at the game last night. Tough one for the offense. 

Bubba was really upset with the officials after Clive got hurt.  Don't know if was mad about how long they let the play go or if he thought it was a dirty play.   Anybody have any insight?  no replay or commentary in stadium. 

It wasn't dirty from what i saw.  When you struggle for more yards like that, sometimes bad things happen.  I couldn't tell if it was a true fumble or not...i was paying attention to Clive's injury.

from what i saw, don't look for Clive to be back this season.

1 minute ago, 77iceman said:

It wasn't dirty from what i saw.  When you struggle for more yards like that, sometimes bad things happen.  I couldn't tell if it was a true fumble or not...i was paying attention to Clive's injury.

Agreed, I don't think it was dirty. Clive was trying to get extra yards, and was stretched out on top of a defender. It almost looked like he handed the ball over to the defender; I'm not sure if the ball actually hit the ground or not.

On a different thread, someone said two broken bones in his leg. Not sure if this is accurate or not, but it is all I have heard. Also heard Reyes should be fine.

37 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

Thanks.  I just saw Bubba giving the ref the business.  It was on the other end of field from us. 

I've heard similar on Clive.  Really too bad.  These guys work hard for a long time to prepare for the season. I feel bad for him. 

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

It was predicted to be slugfest and it was a slugfest. They had a great defense. Our defense gave up 7 points. Our offense looked shaky in the first game of the season. Last year teams got into the playoffs wit 5 losses and some are writing off the season after one loss. Find something positive - it's a game being played by student athletes. Look out the window the sun came up. Enjoy the season. 

There is NO chance this UND team with this schedule makes the playoffs with 5 losses.   After last year, there is a reasonable belief they can't lose more than 3.  Losing to Stony Brook was a huge loss just because there is such little room for error if you think you need to finish 8-3 to make the playoffs.  (Although depending on "quality losses" maybe UND will get in at 7-4 this year!).  

10 minutes ago, mksioux said:

There is NO chance this UND team with this schedule makes the playoffs with 5 losses.   After last year, there is a reasonable belief they can't lose more than 3.  Losing to Stony Brook was a huge loss just because there is such little room for error if you think you need to finish 8-3 to make the playoffs.  (Although depending on "quality losses" maybe UND will get in at 7-4 this year!).  

If Stony turns out to be a good team this loss will not hurt us. Go Stoney!