SiouxSports.com Forum

Stony Brook Seawolves

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Thinking a little more about a Santiago in the slot once in a while scenario:

First, it's a total mismatch on a LB as far as speed if John runs a route. That moves a safety over the top for support. Brady and Oscar would love that. 

Next, if you motion him across (jet sweep) that forces the CB on the side he's running toward to make a decision: either stay on top of the receiver on that side and get blocked and possibly lose contain or shift to outside leverage (in the hope of keeping Santiago inside, contained, where there's tackling help) but that gives the WR the quick inside slant, and that's a throw Studsrud can make. 

I think last night was an attempt to win without showing much and it almost worked. I'm quite sure they plan to put Santiago in the slot at times throughout the season. Why didn't they do it last night? I believe it's an attempt to not show everything they got. Not sure it would have made much difference as our QB couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat last night. He absolutely needs to be better at those easy throws. OL needs work but Keaton has to be better than that. The guy they probably missed the most last night was Adler on the edge.

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If we have to bank on this......sad.

#leavenodoubt

Not really smart guy.  If they turn out to be good and UND can win 8 games then this loss will look much better in the committee's eyes.  If Stony Brook goes 5-6 then it will look bad.  Good losses are better than average wins.  

• Upvote 1

Somebody mentioned it before I believe but the most frustrating part about that entire game last night for me was the play calling on 3rd down of the last possession. You have two plays to get like a yard or two just pound it up the middle. 

Everyones ripping on Studs and frankly he probably deserves it for the first half but I thought he looked a lot more relaxed in the second and made some nice plays with his feet. Him and Toivonen seemed to have a nice little connection. 

Also, was Carter out there a lot less as the game went on? He's got talent so don't lose faith in him yet but he was brutal. 

10 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Not really smart guy.  If they turn out to be good and UND can win 8 games then this loss will look much better in the committee's eyes.  If Stony Brook goes 5-6 then it will look bad.  Good losses are better than average wins.  

Read your last sentence..........

Obviously I'm smarter than you.

In no scenario moving forward does this loss outweigh a win if we had won last night.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Read your last sentence..........

Obviously I'm smarter than you.

In no scenario moving forward does this loss outweigh a win if we had won last night.

El Zagel, did you pay attention to the selection show last year and next few days after it?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

El Zagel, did you pay attention to the selection show last year and next few days after it?

I did........if UND doesn't piss away @ least 1 of 2 4th quarter leads at home they make the playoffs. They needed a WIN.   

Win >>> loss.....every time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I did........if UND doesn't piss away @ least 1 of 2 4th quarter leads at home they make the playoffs. They needed a WIN.   

Those would have given them 8 wins (not applicable to the conversation).  UND had 7 wins, like the teams picked in front of them (EIU-UNH).  

The difference was that UND lost to a horribly bad Idaho State team and the committee held that against them, instead of rewarding them for ROAD wins at Wyoming and Portland State (Top 8 seed).  

If UND had lost to Wyoming and beat Idaho State they would have gotten in the playoffs.  That is based on everybody I talked to in the program after all conversations were had.   That is how F'ed up the committee was.  

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Unless it's beating FBS Wyoming vs quality loses to NDSU, coastal Carolina, etc. 

9 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Those would have given them 8 wins (not applicable to the conversation).  UND had 7 wins, like the teams picked in front of them (EIU-UNH).  

The difference was that UND lost to a horribly bad Idaho State team and the committee held that against them, instead of rewarding them for ROAD wins at Wyoming and Portland State (Top 8 seed).  

If UND had lost to Wyoming and beat Idaho State they would have gotten in the playoffs.  That is based on everybody I talked to in the program after all conversations were had.   That is how F'ed up the committee was.  

Or, you know, don't lose to freaking Idaho State. Cause the fact that you have to say that with that win that situation wouldn't have happened in the first place shows how stupid your argument is. A win is better than a loss, and the fact that to make your argument you have to qualify that with a win in that game this conversation wouldn't be happening proves how dumb it is. Holy crap guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

So what am I hoping for vs BG? A loss or a win? 

1 minute ago, Thumper 76 said:

Or, you know, don't lose to freaking Idaho State. Cause the fact that you have to say that with that win that situation wouldn't have happened in the first place shows how stupid your argument is. A win is better than a loss, and the fact that to make your argument you have to qualify that with a win in that game this conversation wouldn't be happening proves how dumb it is. Holy crap guy.

.........and we have a winner. That's a good Bingo.

1 minute ago, Thumper 76 said:

What?

Stick to the subject.  It is comparing resumes of 7 win teams and their best wins, etc.  UND got no credit for having TWO better wins than UNH and EIU but were penalized for having one worse loss. 

3 minutes ago, Thumper 76 said:

The case was proven over and over again last year.  Don't come in now and act like it there is a new argument.  Every media member possible couldn't understand how they took UNH and EIU's resume over UND.  

9 minutes ago, Thumper 76 said:

If a win is better than a lost how does a 6-5 team get in over a 7-4 team? 

I'm confused. A loss is never a good thing. Period.

I understand you are hoping that Stony Brook turns out to be good, so that loss doesn't look so bad. But a win over Stony Brook, regardless of whether they end up with a good record, is better than a loss to Stony Brook, regardless of their ending record. That is everyone else's argument.

As for last year. It wasn't the "good" loss that got the 6-5 team in, it was the "very bad" loss to a bad Idaho State that cost us way more. Not saying I agreed with that decision, just saying that loss was worth 2 losses in the committee's mind.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, bkbroiler said:

I'm confused. A loss is never a good thing. Period.

I understand you are hoping that Stony Brook turns out to be good, so that loss doesn't look so bad. But a win over Stony Brook, regardless of whether they end up with a good record, is better than a loss to Stony Brook, regardless of their ending record. That is everyone else's argument.

As for last year. It wasn't the "good" loss that got the 6-5 team in, it was the "very bad" loss to a bad Idaho State that cost us way more. Not saying I agreed with that decision, just saying that loss was worth 2 losses in the committee's mind.

I'm sorry, who are you and do you think your 1 post is relevant?

You are a moron if you think I wouldn't prefer a win.

• Downvote 2

46 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

The case was proven over and over again last year.  Don't come in now and act like it there is a new argument.  Every media member possible couldn't understand how they took UNH and EIU's resume over UND.  

Well, now I know this board is pretty much bisonville with a !@#!$ team. At least you'll be able to whine about not making the playoffs for as long as bison fans have whined about the bill Fette call. Except it doesn't look like your team is going to have a positive response to it. 

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Thumper 76 said:

Well, now I know this board is pretty much bisonville with a !@#!$ team. At least you'll be able to whine about not making the playoffs for as long as bison fans have whined about the bill Fette call. Except it doesn't look like your team is going to have a positive response to it. 

Sounds good.  Have a good Labor Day Weekend.