SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

You hit the nail on the head...social media!! It is firing up more and more Sioux Forever fans (mostly hockey only) especially on hockey related pages of Facebook. The UND men’s hockey page, the REA, and Sioux Shop will post something and if anyone mentions a Hawk...BAM they get blasted as not a true fan, they make fun of the logo, and of course the *Sioux reply.  This one is hilarious: I have been accused of working for the university to push the Hawk agenda onto those pages. So no one is a fan of the school anymore it’s either you are for the Sioux or you are lumped into the enemy group with the Bison and Gophers although more Gophers than Bison since we are taking hockey. The division of fans is still as strong as ever, and there are no signs of cracks in the division.

Sorry that happens to you, man. It's stupid and childish.

• Upvote 2

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

Sorry that happens to you, man. It's stupid and childish.

It is stupid and childish, wish it never has to happen. We are all fans of North Dakota plain and simple. My son starts his UND education this fall, I told him don’t say Go Bison they don’t like that. Now why can’t it be that simple. :D

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

It is stupid and childish, wish it never has to happen. We are all fans of North Dakota plain and simple. My son starts his UND education this fall, I told him don’t say Go Bison they don’t like that. Now why can’t it be that simple. :D

Honestly, it really can be, but it'll take a lot of people stopping constantly being mad about how the other person feels about this "debate"... just know we are all saying
"Go UND" when we say "Go Hawks" or "Go Sioux."

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I'll tell you what, I'll start stick up for you and people that post about the Hawks on social media and see if we can help bring it all together! 

• Upvote 1

Here are the issues that all UND fans have been UNITED on during this whole nickname debate:

1.  All of us UND fans wanted to keep the Fighting Sioux name initially when the "hostile and abusive" list of colleges came out in 2005. 

Once the timeline from the settlement for tribal approval passed, many people realized that it was probably in the best interest of UND to retire the name.  When comments from the Summit League Commissioner as well as the Big Sky commissioner came out about future and current conference membership came out, even more people jumped on board with retiring the name.  When schools like Minnesota, Wisconsin, and a growing list of others changed their policy to not play any games (outside of conference games) against teams with Native American mascots, even more people jumped on board with retiring the name.  When the NCAA said that UND could not host post season tournament games on campus, then people realized that that would hurt our programs especially the football team and realized retiring the name was what had to be done.And then when the vote was held to retire the name, the numbers came out 67% in favor or retiring the name.  the problem is after all that, there are still people out there that still feel that UND should have sacrificed all and dealt with all the consequences to keep the name.

2.  All of us UND fans agree that the process of selecting the new nickname was a complete $hitshow.

We were all pissed about the whole process of narrowing the submitted names down.  The selection committee didn't even follow their own basic requirements for selecting a name.  Being unique, relate specifically to North Dakota and the region, etc.  Fighting Hawks should have been weeded out well before the list was narrowed down to 5 to vote on.  But it wasn't.  We all agree that this process could have not gone any worse (I guess we could have been Sundogs : )  The 5 names that were finally voted for were less than impressive and (as said many timed) given a list of things to vote on, people will select the most generic one.  And we ended up with fighting Hawks.

Fighting Hawks was definitely less than inspiring for a new nickname and certainly many people voted against it (myself included).  Most of us can agree that Fighting Hawks is not a great nickname.  It is generic, boring, and falls right into the trend of schools that had to change their name of selecting a bird mascot.  Even when teh name was announced, the overwhelming majority of the fanbase kind of shrugged their shoulders and said OK.

3.  The logo could have been better

With a generic name like Hawks, it was going to be hard to come up with a truly unique logo that people were going to be blown away by.  there are hundreds of bird logos out there.  So while the fighting Hawks logo is not as generic as those others, initially many people were pretty negative towards it.  Even people that now support the Fighting Hawks log and wear it proudly today were less than impressed at the logo when it came out.

*You can see that our fanbase was united throughout this whole nickname and logo debate and selection process.  We all were on the same page regarding the whole process.  Where it came divided was how we moved on from that.  The fanbase became divided into two categories.  Those that accepted the reality the Sioux nickname and logo were never coming back  and that were going to accept the new nickname and logo even thought the process of selecting both could certainly have been better, and those that refuse to accept any nickname and logo not matter what it was.  

So our fanbase is currently divided between those that support the Fighting Hawks name/logo and those that reject the Fighting Hawks name/logo.  Now there are many that say "What's the big deal.  Let people cheer for whatever name they want.  We are all cheering for North Dakota."  I admit, I was one of those people.  But even I didn't think that this division would be do divisive as it is today.  And social media certainly is perpetuating the division.   

So the divide is real.  And I don't see it going away anytime in the near future.  It can be easily solved.  Obviously we can't go back top the Fighting Sioux name so the only way to end the division is to unite and support the Fighting Hawks name and logo.  So when people say that it's not fair to place blame only on one side, that is not true.  The fans that continue to perpetuate the division by constantly ripping on the Fighting Hawks name/logo and refuse to accept the Fighting Sioux name is gone will eb the ones that keep this fanbase from uniting

***NOTE:  Sorry for the lengthy post. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Those that accepted the reality the Sioux nickname and logo were never coming back  and that were going to accept the new nickname and logo even thought the process of selecting both could certainly have been better, and those that refuse to accept any nickname and logo not matter what it was.  

So the divide is real.  And I don't see it going away anytime in the near future.  It can be easily solved.  Obviously we can't go back top the Fighting Sioux name so the only way to end the division is to unite and support the Fighting Hawks name and logo.  So when people say that it's not fair to place blame only on one side, that is not true.  The fans that continue to perpetuate the division by constantly ripping on the Fighting Hawks name/logo and refuse to accept the Fighting Sioux name is gone will eb the ones that keep this fanbase from uniting

***NOTE:  Sorry for the lengthy post. 

AGAIN, with this? THIS is why people argue. By saying that people on the "Sioux Forever" side don't accept reality immediately demonizes them and the walls are put up and the discussion is over. It's just so simple and I don't get why you keep stating that people don't understand it -- this side understands that FH is the logo/nickname. You've decided to stop your resistance against it, but many, many others haven't. 

I disagree with you that there is only one way to "solve" this. The other, just move on. Cheer for UND and let time take its course just like it did for CHS, Stanford, St. John's and dozens of others schools. 

I stand by my premise that this whole thing is incredibly overblown. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

132815.thumb.jpeg.547d25c5768925a8a922711ca576b662.jpeg 

Back on topic with the question of this thread title.......

It still sucks. It's not going away soon.

If there's anything that has been absolutely consistent throughout this institutions history, it's tweaking the logos representing the athletic teams.

Maybe the next tweak is an improvement. 

6 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

It still sucks. It's not going away soon.

If there's anything that has been absolutely consistent throughout this institutions history, it's tweaking the logos representing the athletic teams.

Maybe the next tweak is an improvement. 

Hard to imagine it being any worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn. Too bad we didn't have Sis Bates on the new name committee.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/26318428/with-pride-joy-washington-shortstop-sis-bates-becomes-softball-premier-performer#

To sum up. She had a glove which she named Carmella and still keeps and reveres that glove but had to get a new glove. When asked if she had named her new glove she said basically that you don't just slap a name on something, it has to happen organically.

15 hours ago, petey23 said:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/26318428/with-pride-joy-washington-shortstop-sis-bates-becomes-softball-premier-performer#

To sum up. She had a glove which she named Carmella and still keeps and reveres that glove but had to get a new glove. When asked if she had named her new glove she said basically that you don't just slap a name on something, it has to happen organically.

What article did you read?  In no way did she say anything close to your last sentence.  The only thing relating to the name of her new glove is this quote: 

...lest something happen to her new glove that is still awaiting a name.

Nowhere in the article does she mention the naming process.

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:16 AM, southpaw said:

What article did you read?  In no way did she say anything close to your last sentence.  The only thing relating to the name of her new glove is this quote: 

Nowhere in the article does she mention the naming process.

The announcers during the Washington/Minnesota game mentioned the article and then talked about her for about an inning and a half and said they had asked her why she hadn't named her new glove yet.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:40 PM, petey23 said:

Wait, so she didn't use Urban Dictionary to sort through names?

On 5/23/2019 at 9:41 AM, ChrisUND1 said:

Remember this:  we are 100%, unequivocally, the University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks.  Hard to accept for you, isn't it?

GO HAWKS!

If that was true...this thread wouldn't exist. Go Sioux!

35 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

You'd probably have about 90% of the fanbase on board with the name (lame as it may be) If any of these were the actual logo. 

You really think that?  I think these are all worse than our current logo. The Brien one being the absolute worse. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

You really think that?  I think these are all worse than our current logo. The Brien one being the absolute worse. 

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Do you have any other numbers that you can pull out of your ass?

Well baring creating a new poll/thread, no I don't. Just my personal observation that almost everyone I know who is part of the "Forever Sioux" crowd is more upset by items 2 and 3 of @Siouxperfan7 previous post than anything else. Nothing can be done about 2 now but they can create a new logo. Also, everyone I know, excluding you two, (who admittedly, I don't really know outside of this forum), like these logos better than our current USPS copy.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:46 AM, geaux_sioux said:

574FB98D-8682-4978-8FB2-5DC43D1D2BE3.png

B8FA6815-966E-4B0B-9A86-1C78BD39D309.jpeg

8 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I think these are all worse than our current logo. The Brien one being the absolute worse. 

I am still stunned at the number of fans who think the Grand Forks star-hawk (don’t get me started on the “hidden North Dakota,” which is totally forced and doesn’t even look like the actual state) and the smashed-beak hawk qualify as “good” logo alternatives.  

• Upvote 4