SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

37 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I just got off the phone with descendants of every roughrider from north Dakota who went to Cuba with TR, asking if they would be interested in donating to this library.  Both families said no thanks.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I just got off the phone with descendants of every roughrider from north Dakota who went to Cuba with TR, asking if they would be interested in donating to this library.  Both families said no thanks.  

Why would they?
The State's already buyin'. ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

This fall Grand Forks Central will start the school year with the nickname Knights for the 25th year. 25 years ago me, and other students voted Knights over Pride to become Central’s new nickname to start the fall of 1994. Today you don’t hear Redskins being cheered for at games, no talk of Redskins Forever on social media. So will UND be the same in 25 years from the inaugural Fighting Hawks intro in 2015? Will the division subside? Will it take less/more time to be a united campus under the Fighting Hawks name? I guess time will tell.

5 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

This fall Grand Forks Central will start the school year with the nickname Knights for the 25th year. 25 years ago me, and other students voted Knights over Pride to become Central’s new nickname to start the fall of 1994. Today you don’t hear Redskins being cheered for at games, no talk of Redskins Forever on social media. So will UND be the same in 25 years from the inaugural Fighting Hawks intro in 2015? Will the division subside? Will it take less/more time to be a united campus under the Fighting Hawks name? I guess time will tell.

Eventually, I think so. Just look at how many schools have changed nicknames that seem to be " thought what they were always called" 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_nickname_changes_in_the_United_States

10 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I think the nickname committee made a huge mistake letting any of the nickname finalists have Fighting in the name

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, northernraider said:

Eventually, I think so. Just look at how many schools have changed nicknames that seem to be " thought what they were always called" 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_nickname_changes_in_the_United_States

The only school I see that hasn’t embraced their name change in a major way (besides UND) is Marquette. Even Illinois is trying somehow to get the Chief back. 

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2019-02-19/pro-chief-group-plans-event-saturdays-game.html

2 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

I think the nickname committee made a huge mistake letting any of the nickname finalists have Fighting in the name

I can see it though as someway to keep part of the old name plus no one else has Fighting Hawks in DI. But I remember the hatred of the GF School Board people had when they announced the name was going to go. Larry Humble led the Redskins Forever effort. I bought Redskins gear from the school store before the change to hold onto the name before it was gone. I graduated as a Maroon and Grey as we were in the “cooling off period” (sound familiar). Knights was picked cause it was in the school song, no one cared if anyone else had the name locally (I heard Fisher has the same name). And to think that all started almost 30 years ago (1991), and yet Central is still winning titles as the Knights, and didn’t let a nickname/logo divide it’s students and be a talking point whether it’s social media, regular media, or word of mouth like UND and it’s nickname issue still is 7 years post Sioux. 

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Pride?  Lol dodged a bullet there. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Using a marker to black out your school's logo for twitter likes? It's pretty childish. 

Sorry, I thought the anger was over the use of Fighting Sioux. I guess i didn’t even look at the picture.