SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Does NAU have their qb back yet?  Or is he expected back? That game now scares me the most, because if he comes they are good, but no one on committee will know this since they have some losses they probably shouldn't.

Their defense is at least pretty bad which gives us a chance.

1 hour ago, Texas rancher said:

Careful what you wish for, first round games are thanksgiving weekend.  The lowly bisons had poor attendance for rob Morris game in 2010

That would probably be tough this year, but if they are a playoff team every year fans would be able to plan for it and change their plans.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Does NAU have their qb back yet?  Or is he expected back? That game now scares me the most, because if he comes they are good, but no one on committee will know this since they have some losses they probably shouldn't.

I was thinking this as well, if he is back the last couple of weeks and gets in a groove.....they could be below .500 and still be a pretty formidable team with him winging it around.  If he is back for that game, I'm going to be nervous going into that game.  Still think we'd be able to win....but it could end up being a barn burner. 

34 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Can we stop being nervous and start being confident without being arrogant? If we bring our A game we have no reason to be nervous we should always expect our A game.

This I like except let's concern ourselves with SUU.   That is what we need to focus on right now.  Control our focus and pay attention to details.  Day by Day.  #leavenodoubt

• Upvote 1

That Mr. Titliest is at it again.  Each week he give a run down of the Big Sky.  Well He has EWU and Montana number 1 and 2 in HIS power poll.  But later on he states EWU and Montana lead the Big Sky.  He might want to check the standing to refresh his memory.  It seems Montana lost to Cal Poly and Mr. Titleist has forgot that.

http://www.egriz.com/2016/10/big-sky-round-week-6/

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

That Mr. Titliest is at it again.  Each week he give a run down of the Big Sky.  Well He has EWU and Montana number 1 and 2 in HIS power poll.  But later on he states EWU and Montana lead the Big Sky.  He might want to check the standing to refresh his memory.  It seems Montana lost to Cal Poly and Mr. Titleist has forgot that.

http://www.egriz.com/2016/10/big-sky-round-week-6/

Also states that Santiago did not play. That's good reporting there.

It is pretty eye opening on how biased, and how much lack of detail there is in FCS reporting. I can completely understand that North Dakota is not a program with a lot of pedigree at this level yet. But reporting purely on historical success, rather than what is actually happening in a given season is just as bad as the pollsters propping UNI up in the top 25 with a losing record (6 weeks into the season). Its all based on history and what different teams have done in different seasons, rather than what is going on right now.

In some ways we have see this with the Gophers in hockey, even on their down years; and I'm sure we will see some of it with UND hockey whenever UND has a decline or a down year, but it drives me crazy.

As a reporter, you can certainly be of the opinion that Montana is a better team than UND, and I don't think that would be an outlandish comment, based on how good MT is this year, combined with some of UND's early season question marks. But to not even acknowledge that UND is 4-2 (3-0), ranked in the top 25, and a Big Sky contender who is currently sitting ahead of MT is just poor reporting. 

Also sick of hearing about UND's weak conference schedule. I don't believe the team chooses their conference matchups for the year, so what are they supposed to do? You're given a schedule, you're supposed to win those games ... that is what they are doing. Maybe next time we have a weaker schedule we should just say " screw this season, it doesn't really mean anything".

• Upvote 2

Not that it matters much, and I don't know where to put this, but on the front page under football standings, Weber is listed as 3-0 in the conference. On the Big Sky sight they are 2-0 in conference play.  I think their win against Sac St must have been a nonconference game?

1 minute ago, SIOUX29 said:

Not that it matters much, and I don't know where to put this, but on the front page under football standings, Weber is listed as 3-0 in the conference. On the Big Sky sight they are 2-0 in conference play.  I think their win against Sac St must have been a nonconference game?

I think you are correct

12 minutes ago, SIOUX29 said:

11 minutes ago, KBH2010 said:

I think you are correct

farley.jpg

Here's the thing I'm struggling to figure out about everyone talking about UND's weak conference schedule. Wouldn't the same apply to EWU and Montana then as well? I know they play each other, but based on their logic that UND doesn't play anybody, wouldn't both those schools only play 1 good conference opponent? I would say that's a pretty weak conference schedule as well.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, AJS said:

Here's the thing I'm struggling to figure out about everyone talking about UND's weak conference schedule. Wouldn't the same apply to EWU and Montana then as well? I know they play each other, but based on their logic that UND doesn't play anybody, wouldn't both those schools only play 1 good conference opponent? I would say that's a pretty weak conference schedule as well.

One would think but und has neither the name or history behind it.

montanas schedule:

saint Francis 3-3 ....? 

n Iowa 2-3 they currently are not a good team 

cal poly (loss) 3-2- we beat cal poly 

s utah 3-2 - we play this weekend 

miss valley st 0-6- crap of a team / comparable to mayville 

Unds schedule up to date is tougher.  

Montana's in conference schedule is the exact same for 7 games minus they play e wash and we play weber.  

Buts it's montana soooooo......

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

montanas schedule:

saint Francis 3-3 ....? 

Montana's in conference schedule is the exact same for 7 games minus they play e wash and we play weber.  

I agree except for on UNI. They're an enigma every year. Often the second best team in the nation but they're capable of stringing together some absolute gaffes together that leave people scratching their heads. They shouldn't be ranked high but they are still a good team. They're just not quite what they were last year.

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

I agree except for on UNI. They're an enigma every year. Often the second best team in the nation but they're capable of stringing together some absolute gaffes together that leave people scratching their heads. They shouldn't be ranked high but they are still a good team. They're just not quite what they were last year.

They usually have the most talent and by a distance!  But that's why I said currently.........we beat usd which beat uni.  And 2-3

I will never get what the hell is with  n Iowa......never won the gold and only has played in one championship.  Constant underachievers. 

12 hours ago, Smoggy said:

At home, UND should be able to score plenty against their porous defense and get plenty of defensive pressure on NAU's QB. No reason to be scared of that game at this point.

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

montanas schedule:

saint Francis 3-3 ....? 

According to Sagarin, 

Montana's SOS is #187 in all of College football

UND's SOS is #174 in all of college football  

So yep, UND has played a more difficult schedule...

EDIT:  Can't get it to copy and paste.

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Constant underachievers. 

Just like Montana, for how many fans and resources that program puts into football it constantly underachieves.

Just two nattys over 15 years ago. We'll probably see UND win one before Montana does again.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Western Illinois-North Dakota winner at No. 1 seed North Dakota State

So play the team that was selected instead of us last year and then have a chance to knock out the 5 time defending FCS Champion who happens to be our biggest rival?  I like it!!

• Upvote 1