SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

8 minutes ago, homer said:

Agree to disagree. If I am playing a team like SDSU, Montana or another MVFC or Big Sky team, I would want to play them in the Alerus.  We have seen what the playoff atmosphere in there can be. 

I guess the only thing we're disagreeing about is how beneficial it is to have two bye weeks before hosting a playoff game.  That said, a point I hadn't thought of was that the bidding may be against a team like SDSU that has a bigger facility and could outbid us.  In that case, two bye weeks and hosting a playoff game is better than one bye week and going on the road. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, petey23 said:

And UND was without their All American running back

8 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic since all of the talk has been about Protherone not playing with little to no mention of Santiago going down on the second play from scrimmage.

winner winner chicken dinner!

UND missing any players is completely irrelevant. We could beat NDSU with a bunch of 12 year olds out there .... BUT if they were missing their water boy, combined with the fact that they are in the MVFC ... UND still drops from the polls, is eliminated from playoff contention through the year 2020, AND is put back on the NCAA's naughty list.

45 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Obviously early, but for those who need material to read while at work. NoBowls has us playing SDSU in Brookings ... to go to Fargo.

http://nobowls.com/

So the best case for being able to host a playoff game is either: 1) UND makes it to the top 8 and get seeded; 2) SDSU makes it to the top 8 and gets seeded; or 3) SDSU sputters and doesn't make the playoffs.  My guess is number 2 is the most likely, if they can beat their conference opponents.

9 minutes ago, WYOBISONMAN said:

It would sure be interesting to have a crystal ball and see what would have happened had Dale Lennon never left.  I still think Lennon is a much better coach than his record at Southern Illinois.

Dale's style of play better fit this region (and the available players). I don't wonder what would've happened; I wonder if he wonders ... 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Dale's style of play better fit this region (and the available players). I don't wonder what would've happened; I wonder if he wonders ... 

For one, he would've continued making less money than the women's hockey head coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dagger said:

UNI beat Iowa State who has 1 win on the year.  They have lost to Montana, USD, and Eastern Washington.  Why are they ranked at all.

The magic of the quality loss lives on................................

• Upvote 2

AGS poll = Not bad

WEEK 6 - 10/10/2016:

Rank Team: Total Points First Place Votes Previous Wk.
1 North Dakota State Bison 1999 79 1
2 Jacksonville State Gamecocks 1849   2
3 Eastern Washington Eagles 1835 1 3
4 Sam Houston State Bearkats 1735   4
5 Chattanooga Mocs 1708   5
6 James Madison Dukes 1558   6
7 The Citadel Bulldogs 1423   7
8 Richmond Spiders 1396   9
9 Montana Grizzlies 1386   8
10 Charleston Southern Buccaneers 1199   10
11 South Dakota State Jackrabbits 1165   12
12 Youngstown State Penguins 1095   13
13 Villanova Wildcats 1058   15
14 Western Illinois Leathernecks 963   16
15 Cal Poly Mustangs 843   17
16 Albany Great Danes 813   14
17 Central Arkansas Bears 650   18
18 North Dakota Fighting Hawks 584   20
19 Samford Bulldogs 575   19
20 Harvard Crimson 411   21
21 Eastern Illinois Panthers 377   22
22 North Carolina A&T Aggies 344   23
23 Northern Iowa Panthers 268   11
24 New Hampshire Wildcats 238   26
25 Southern Utah Thunderbirds 170   27

ORV:      
26 Stony Brook Seawolves 130   29
27 Lehigh Mountain Hawks 49   36
28 Wofford Terriers 44   39
29 Grambling State Tigers 28   32
30T South Dakota Coyotes 19   NR
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

AGS poll = Not bad

WEEK 6 - 10/10/2016:

ORV:      

You forgot to post all of the "ORV" teams.  Looks like Sac. States quality losses are starting to get them noticed...Here they are:

ORV:      
30T Tennessee State Tigers 19   28
32 McNeese State Cowboys 14   24
33 Illinois State Redbirds 13   25
34 Sacred Heart Pioneers 10   35T
35 Indiana State Sycamores 9   31
36T Missouri State Bears 5   33
36T Monmouth Hawks 5   NR
36T Sacramento State Hornets 5   NR
39 William & Mary Tribe 4   35T
40 Fordham Rams 1   NR
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

So the best case for being able to host a playoff game is either: 1) UND makes it to the top 8 and get seeded; 2) SDSU makes it to the top 8 and gets seeded; or 3) SDSU sputters and doesn't make the playoffs.  My guess is number 2 is the most likely, if they can beat their conference opponents.

I better throw in there that UNI probably can't make the playoffs either if UND wants to host, unless number 1 happens, then it won't matter.

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I better throw in there that UNI probably can't make the playoffs either if UND wants to host.

Correct, it'd be key for both SDSU and UNI to miss the playoffs. That's why this weekend is interesting. I'd never cheer for NDSU, but it might be better for UND if NDSU beat the Jacks. Losing to NDSU won't drop them a lot, but it will give them 3 loses, which will in turn kind of put them on the bubble as far as one more loss (have a pretty tough schedule), would really hurt. That being said, if either / both go 7-4 they will be in no question. Getting SDSU to 5 losses is pretty tough to do, could see UNI going 6-5.

19 minutes ago, AJS said:

Correct, it'd be key for both SDSU and UNI to miss the playoffs. That's why this weekend is interesting. I'd never cheer for NDSU, but it might be better for UND if NDSU beat the Jacks. Losing to NDSU won't drop them a lot, but it will give them 3 loses, which will in turn kind of put them on the bubble as far as one more loss (have a pretty tough schedule), would really hurt. That being said, if either / both go 7-4 they will be in no question. Getting SDSU to 5 losses is pretty tough to do, could see UNI going 6-5.

At this point, I don't think SDSU could lose a playoff spot with all the profit being made from playing a MVFC schedule, unless they really tank.  Like you say, a loss to NDSU won't really hurt them that badly.  I also think that UND getting a top 8 seed is also extremely unlikely, given there's no profit on their Big Sky schedule.  So, if UND and SDSU are both at-large selections, those two schools would probably be matched up against each other, and it will probably be in Brookings, based on their ability to bid high.  I would say root for SDSU to get one of the 8 seeds, and root for UNI to get knocked out of the playoffs all together.  I think both of these things happening are achievable goals.

10 minutes ago, Dustin said:

At this point, I don't think SDSU could lose a playoff spot with all the profit being made from playing a MVFC schedule, unless they really tank.  Like you say, a loss to NDSU won't really hurt them that badly.  I also think that UND getting a top 8 seed is also extremely unlikely, given there's no profit on their Big Sky schedule.  So, if UND and SDSU are both at-large selections, those two schools would probably be matched up against each other, and it will probably be in Brookings, based on their ability to bid high.  I would say root for SDSU to get one of the 8 seeds, and root for UNI to get knocked out of the playoffs all together.  I think both of these things happening are achievable goals.

I believe UND could still outbid SDSU (assuming we make the playoffs). Their last home playoff game had 4,000 fans.  The last few years they have gone on the road for the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, homer said:

I believe UND could still outbid SDSU (assuming we make the playoffs). Their last home playoff game had 4,000 fans.  The last few years they have gone on the road for the playoffs.  

Wow, I wonder why the fans didn't turn up.  Anyway, good to know.