SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

"The teams that generally have the best chance of stopping the dynasty are right within the Bison's Missouri Valley Football Conference. Since 2011, four of their five losses have come from four different teams within their conference."

- FCS Top 25 Preview by Craig Haley (STATS Sr. Editor) 

He is just dying to compliment the MVFC. I mean, wouldn't you automatically assume most of their losses would come from teams that comprise 80% of their schedule??? It doesn't seem very shocking that most of their losses are coming from teams...that they play. Stupid

80% of their losses come from 80% of their schedule ... 

49651600.jpg

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

At this point, I don't think SDSU could lose a playoff spot with all the profit being made from playing a MVFC schedule, unless they really tank.  Like you say, a loss to NDSU won't really hurt them that badly.  I also think that UND getting a top 8 seed is also extremely unlikely, given there's no profit on their Big Sky schedule.  So, if UND and SDSU are both at-large selections, those two schools would probably be matched up against each other, and it will probably be in Brookings, based on their ability to bid high.  I would say root for SDSU to get one of the 8 seeds, and root for UNI to get knocked out of the playoffs all together.  I think both of these things happening are achievable goals.

UND could outbid SDSU -- no use being so pessimistic with nothing to go off of but pure speculation. UND put in a very healthy bid last season while SDSU was outbid by Montana. 

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND could outbid SDSU -- no use being so pessimistic with nothing to go off of but pure speculation. UND put in a very healthy bid last season while SDSU was outbid by Montana. 

Montana will outbid most everyone. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I was just going by the size of their venue.  I didn't realuze that that doesn't necessarily translate to bidding power. Glad UND has that going for them. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Montana will outbid most everyone. 

With that said, I could see a UND @ Montana first round playoff game this season. Nevertheless, I hope UND can pull out a top 8 seed or, at the very least, can host a first round game in the Alerus Center.

Hosting playoff games has the potential to grow fan support tremendously. 

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

With that said, I could see a UND @ Montana first round playoff game this season. Nevertheless, I hope UND can pull out a top 8 seed or, at the very least, can host a first round game in the Alerus Center.

I hope MT gets a top 8 bid so that there would not be a chance we'd get matched up with them in the first round.  That would probably be the worst possible draw for us in the first round.  Not that we couldn't win.....but they are certainly not an ideal match up for us. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Football, like hockey, avoids conference match ups on the first round. So we don't have to worry about competing against Montana for bids. 

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I hope MT gets a top 8 bid so that there would not be a chance we'd get matched up with them in the first round.  That would probably be the worst possible draw for us in the first round.  Not that we couldn't win.....but they are certainly not an ideal match up for us. 

I'd rather take Montana at their place than NDSU in Fargo, but it is almost a toss-up.

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Football, like hockey, avoids conference match ups on the first round. So we don't have to worry about competing against Montana for bids. 

You are right. I should have specified as a second round matchup. Last year the MVFC all ended up on the same side of the bracket which caused a huge uproar. If UND wins out and goes 9-2 (8-0), I think they have an outside chance at one of the last ranked seed (#7 or #8). Depends on what other BSC teams, like Montana and EWU, end up doing record-wise. 

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'd rather take Montana at their place than NDSU in Fargo, but it is almost a toss-up.

Which is exactly my point, I wouldn't want to play our first round game against somebody we'd match up against roughly the same we'd match up against the # 1 seed and 5 time defending champions.  I'm hoping we are in the top 14 or so....so hopefully we'd get somebody rated below us, but I know location is an issue as they like to keep those first round games regional. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dmksioux said:

Would the playoff committee avoid conference matchups in the first round if the two teams didn't play during the regular season?  I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.

I still think we'd get SDSU or UNI before Montana. Fits with the NCAA models of non-conference match ups, and 400-mile travel preference. 

2 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves with the talk of home games and byes.    I am really hoping we win this weekend and then go from there.

For sure. Essentially, there's a home playoff game this weekend, so we better act like it. (Team AND Fans)

9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

winner winner chicken dinner!

UND missing any players is completely irrelevant. We could beat NDSU with a bunch of 12 year olds out there .... BUT if they were missing their water boy, combined with the fact that they are in the MVFC ... UND still drops from the polls, is eliminated from playoff contention through the year 2020, AND is put back on the NCAA's naughty list.

you should watch the simpsons from last night.  the Boston Americans beat the Springfield Atoms on a Pass to the the Mascot

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Careful what you wish for, first round games are thanksgiving weekend.  The lowly bisons had poor attendance for rob Morris game in 2010

46 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

Careful what you wish for, first round games are thanksgiving weekend.  The lowly bisons had poor attendance for rob Morris game in 2010

You have to start somewhere. What did NDSU hosting that first playoff game do for them moving forward? Looking big picture, hosting playoff games and winning those playoff games can grow fan support by a bunch. 

52 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

Michigan St is in town for hockey Thanksgiving weekend. The prospect of a home FB playoff win and an a** kicking sweep of a Pig 10 opponent will be tempting for many. I'd say odds are favorable for a good FB crowd if that happens.

10 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

UNI and ISU too high.  Cal Poly too low.  NAU @ 23..... :blink:

Does NAU have their qb back yet?  Or is he expected back? That game now scares me the most, because if he comes they are good, but no one on committee will know this since they have some losses they probably shouldn't.