SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

Didn't realize that Montana had a fairly weak schedule this season too. Other than Eastern Wash, MT doesn't have another overly challenging opponent. Would like to see them beat Eastern, and UND run the table. 

UND Montana
Different Opponents Stony Brook Saint Francis
Bowling Green UNI
South Dakota Mississippi Valley State
Weber State Eastern Washington

Similar Opponents Montana State Cal Poly
Cal Poly Southern Utah
Sacramento State Sacramento State
Southern Utah Northern Arizona
Idaho State Idaho State
Northern Colorado Northern Colorado
Northern Arizona Montana State

50 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

According to Sagarin, 

Montana's SOS is #187 in all of College football

UND's SOS is #174 in all of college football  

So yep, UND has played a more difficult schedule...

EDIT:  Can't get it to copy and paste.

what about EWU?  Can you post the link to where you're getting this information?

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Didn't realize that Montana had a fairly weak schedule this season too. Other than Eastern Wash, MT doesn't have another overly challenging opponent. Would like to see them beat Eastern, and UND run the table. 

UND Montana
Different Opponents Stony Brook Saint Francis
Bowling Green UNI
South Dakota Mississippi Valley State
Weber State Eastern Washington

Similar Opponents Montana State Cal Poly
Cal Poly Southern Utah
Sacramento State Sacramento State
Southern Utah Northern Arizona
Idaho State Idaho State
Northern Colorado Northern Colorado
Northern Arizona Montana State

The coyotes also beat UNI.  that can't hurt us either.

2 hours ago, KBH2010 said:

That will be the case pretty much every time.

Actually it's no better than 50/50 that UND will end up playing NDSU even if you do make the playoffs. If you're not seeded, you'll have to win your first round game, probably on the road, for this game to happen. If you are seeded, both teams will, at least, have to win their 2nd round games. It is, of course, possible that they could be paired in the first round in the unlikely event that neither team is seeded.

At this point I'd give an NDSU/UND matchup a 1 in 4 chance of actually happening. Simply because, even if they are both in the playoffs, one of the teams is likely to lose before that match up actually happens. For instance, NDSU and SDSU have both qualified for the playoffs in the same year four times, yet they have only played each other in the playoffs twice. and the Rabbits had to win their first game to get to the Bison both times.

• Downvote 1

Just now, jdub27 said:

Based on what?

In all truth, I think that we would have a good shot at out-bidding Western Illinois, but likely wouldn't be able to outbid SDSU (if those are the two likely opponents we may be looking at).  I would think that Faison would put in a fairly healthy bid, although with the budget issues who knows.  A playoff win at home would be huge for the future.  

35 minutes ago, Hambone said:

In all truth, I think that we would have a good shot at out-bidding Western Illinois, but likely wouldn't be able to outbid SDSU (if those are the two likely opponents we may be looking at).  I would think that Faison would put in a fairly healthy bid, although with the budget issues who knows.  A playoff win at home would be huge for the future.  

That is at least a fair assumption instead of just saying UND would probably be on the road. Last year, WIU either didn't bid or got outbid by non-scholarship Dayton, to play in front of 997 fans (not a typo). Hard to say about SDSU. They've been outbid by Montana, Montana State and NAU the last three years for first round games. They did host EIU in 2012, but I'm not sure that says much.

1 hour ago, Hambone said:

I would like to think UND could outbid SDSU, but hard to say. Largely depends on anticipated attendance; SDSU having an outdoor venue could negatively impact attendance. 

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I would like to think UND could outbid SDSU, but hard to say. Largely depends on anticipated attendance; SDSU having an outdoor venue could negatively impact attendance. 

I holding out for a 7 or 8 place seed.  Then SDSU or WIU can play to visit us.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Attendance gets an AD to a base bid, then it's donor based and the bid can be an infinite amount.  Get the F'n check books out boys. I meant F'n Hawk.  In theory, we can out bid anyone.

• Upvote 1

For last year the school kicked in the minimum NCAA bid of 35K and five private donors ponied up an additional 65k.  If the same thing happened this year,  I guarantee 100k would secure a first round playoff game... Money talks!! 

30 minutes ago, ND1 said:

For last year the school kicked in the minimum NCAA bid of 35K and five private donors ponied up an additional 65k.  If the same thing happened this year,  I guarantee 100k would secure a first round playoff game... Money talks!! 

You are wise.  Confidence was high for a home play-off based on UNDs bid, except we failed to get in.........

22 hours ago, AJS said:

Here's the thing I'm struggling to figure out about everyone talking about UND's weak conference schedule. Wouldn't the same apply to EWU and Montana then as well? I know they play each other, but based on their logic that UND doesn't play anybody, wouldn't both those schools only play 1 good conference opponent? I would say that's a pretty weak conference schedule as well.

That doesn't say much for the Big Sky as a whole.  We apparently don't give ourselves much credit, wonder why pollsters don't?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

According to Sagarin Montana strength of schedule is 187. Our Strength of schedule is 174. 

Maybe the narrative should be changed to Montana doesn't play UND.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

That's great, now that's how one gives credit to UND and the Big Sky as a whole.

According to both FCS playoff projections available (nobowls, Stats), there are 4 Big Sky teams in the field if the season ended today, same as MVFC, with Southern Utah as a bubble.  So the Big Sky can't be that bad.  CAA has the most at 5.

11 hours ago, ND1 said:

Question for you:  Are the 8 home teams for the first round determined by the 8 highest bids, and then low/no bid teams are paired up with them, with geography as a potential factor?

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Question for you:  Are the 8 home teams for the first round determined by the 8 highest bids, and then low/no bid teams are paired up with them, with geography as a potential factor?

Or, are the matchups pre-determined, and then they play at the school who bid higher between the two?

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

No the 8 seeded teams are picked by the committee.  In theory by their record and SOS.  So if UND wins out they should be considered to be a top 8 seed.  Look forward to the next committee screw job.