SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, nodakhoops said:

I don't think SDSU or Western Illnois should be ranked ahead of UND. Maybe I'll give Western the benefit of doubt because they are 4-1 with an FBS win but looking at common opponents. UND beat poly. Poly beat SDSU who kicked the snot out of Western. Also no way in h*## UNI should be ahead of UND at this point. 

In the end it doesn't matter. If UND can win out & win the Big Sky I think they'll be ranked top 10 and potentially be in line for a first round bye and some home playoff games. Team needs to keep taking it day-by-day. Fun for fans to speculate though.

It matters some because the committee is incompetent and they treat the meeting like a vacation.  They care about costs and how the top 24 teams can play as cheaply as possible.  So if we win out we need to be at 7/8 in the polls to be seeded.  If we drop another game we need to be 20 or better to get in.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

Montana writer has UNI, SDSU, Cal Poly, and Illinois State all in front of UND

Lol.....illinois st....2-4.  N Iowa .....lol....2-3. The mvfc love-fest is out of control.   Wonder if the entire conference will make the playoffs this year?    Sickening 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

So this is why the STATS poll is a joke

He also has UND ahead of Stony Brook. Who cares?  Doesn't matter yet.  We just need to win the game we are playing and the polls will take care of themselves. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

After how the committee conducted themselves last year it absolutly matters. The way the perception is right now our margain for error is zero.

We weren't good enough last year.  Too inconsistent. Let's take care of the things we can control and then we won't need to blame some committee that didn't pick us when we were a "bubble" team. Would have been great if we were in and we were as deserving as the last couple teams in but the fact is we didn't get it done. This year we will.  We are better.  

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

We weren't good enough last year.  Too inconsistent. Let's take care of the things we can control and then we won't need to blame some committee that didn't pick us when we were a "bubble" team. Would have been great if we were in and we were as deserving as the last couple teams in but the fact is we didn't get it done. This year we will.  We are better.  

You don't think it would of helped if we had a good poll ranking?

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

You don't think it would of helped if we had a good poll ranking?

I do.  The polls are important at the end of the season.  Not so much right now.  If we keep winning we will keep moving up.  I worry more about beating SUU than where we are in the polls right now.  We have a tough game each weekend but they are all games we are capable of winning.  We do that we will find ourselves top 10 probably top 5.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

He also has UND ahead of Stony Brook. Who cares?  Doesn't matter yet.  We just need to win the game we are playing and the polls will take care of themselves. 

I doubt we get selected unless we get the auto bid. It's just the way it is for UND right now. Our strength of schedule on the back end is also doing us no favors.

27 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Come on Ira do you really think some of the last in teams with worse records were better than us. We win this week and 5 others ahead of us lose and we stay.put?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I doubt we get selected unless we get the auto bid. It's just the way it is for UND right now. Our strength of schedule on the back end is also doing us no favors.

Easy with the "doom and gloom" big fella.  8-3 will get UND in IMO. Winning out is obviously a playoff spot.

If UND gets to 7-2 and is outside the top 15 then I'll feel something is really up from a bias standpoint. 

39 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Winning matters right now but positions in the polls right now is equally important.  I am not 100% convinced the polls will take care of themselves. 

7 minutes ago, homer said:

Winning matters right now but positions in the polls right now is equally important.  I am not 100% convinced the polls will take care of themselves. 

Even if UND goes 8-3 winning 8 of last 9 I can't see in any fashion how they get left out especially after getting screwed last year. 7-4 is a nightmare scenario again.

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Lol.....illinois st....2-4.  N Iowa .....lol....2-3. The mvfc love-fest is out of control.   Wonder if the entire conference will make the playoffs this year?    Sickening 

He doesn't seem to enjoy anyone questioning his choices.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

After how the committee conducted themselves last year it absolutly matters. The way the perception is right now our margain for error is zero.

Yup. This isn't hockey using a computer system. This is a smoke filled room with guys printing off a bunch of message board polls. If all the team's above UND keep winning (including UND) they'll just stay in the same position (even if they beat up on each other because they'll use that as a strength of schedule vs UNDs).

15 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Yup. This isn't hockey using a computer system. This is a smoke filled room with guys printing off a bunch of message board polls. If all the team's above UND keep winning (including UND) they'll just stay in the same position (even if they beat up on each other because they'll use that as a strength of schedule vs UNDs).

especially if those guys in the smoke filled rooms have personal ties to mr. bob neilson...which is the reason why we were left out.

UND basically has to treat every game as if the season is on the line, because in a sense it is. An eastern Washington loss will have to happen if UND is to get the auto bid, otherwise the tie breaker is the sagarin poll. The best chance for an EWU loss appears to be in a three game stretch against Montana St., Montana, and Cal Poly. Cal Poly game is in SLO, and a win by CP would do wonders for UND, provided UND does its part.