SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

Just now, Nodak78 said:

No the 8 seeded teams are picked by the committee.  In theory by their record and SOS.  So if UND wins out they should be considered to be a top 8 seed.  Look forward to the next committee screw job.

No, not those 8 teams.  The teams that have to bid for their home games in the round before.

34 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Question for you:  Are the 8 home teams for the first round determined by the 8 highest bids, and then low/no bid teams are paired up with them, with geography as a potential factor?

Correct.  I believe they make an effort to ensure the #9 and #10 teams don't face each other (or the #23 vs #24) in round 1, but I don't think it's guaranteed.  Being #9 does not guarantee you home field for the 1st round either, which is quite ridiculous IMO.  I should say it's not necessarily the 8 highest bids, as geography plays a fairly large role.

32 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Or, are the matchups pre-determined, and then they play at the school who bid higher between the two?

Nope

I believe the NCAA regionalizes 9-24 seeded games.  Then, opens the envelopes and highest bid is home.  Pretty simple, we can outbid anyone even with a low seed.  1-8 seeds kick back and are guaranteed to be home for 2nd round.  (UNDBIZ sees it different?)

NCAA claims they don't open the bids 1st to maximize the $$ on the match-ups.

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I believe the NCAA regionalizes 9-24 seeded games.  Then, opens the envelopes and highest bid is home.  Pretty simple, we can outbid anyone even with a low seed.  1-8 seeds kick back and are guaranteed to be home for 2nd round.  (UNDBIZ sees it different?)

No, that looks right to me.  

23 minutes ago, fightingsioux08 said:

I thought seeds 1 through 5 are the only ones guranteed a home game when they play a non top 5 team.

Regardless of rounds if you are seeds 6 to through 24 you would be bidding against each other if you are not playing a top 5 seeded team

No, top 8 teams (out of field of 24) are guaranteed a second-round home playoff game. 

Remaining 16 teams yield 8 first-round games. Home team for those are based on bids and the matchups are based on regionalization. 

Apply those rules to last year's bracket: http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/fcs

It's interesting to look at the first round games and see who outbid who. SUU won the Big Sky Conference last season but didn't get a top 8 seed (that went to Portland State, who UND defeated); SUU was outbid by Sam Houston State and the matchup was played there. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

UNDBIZ and gundy1124 seem to be saying opposite things to me.

Hmm, I must not have communicated correctly in prior post.  I agree with gundy.  There are 24 seeds, top 8 get a bye to round 2, of the bottom 16 the committee takes into account geography and bid amount (as gundy alluded to, they claim not to look at bids until things are regionalized, but get real).  They don't regionalize like hockey with #s 9, 10, 11, and 12 each in a separate region.  It is almost strictly based on geography.  They heavily factor geography and bid amounts in order to lose as little money as possible.

8 minutes ago, mj23 said:

Pardon me, if UND wants to win and advance in the playoffs then you would rather be in a different bracket. That would help you possibly advance and get some playoff experience and be more ready in later rounds.

If we make the playoffs I want the hardest draw possible. No way for anyone to craft a bull$%!# excuse if we win a game or make a run. 

• Upvote 3

It'll be interesting to see the polls this week.

The team only four spots ahead of UND in the polls beat the #1 team in the country.

According to some statisticians UND only had a fifty some chance to beat SUU, and most likely score was by only three points. Point being UND is better than the polls right now. Peaking late in the season just like last year.

Like a few people have said before, it's much easier to fall, than it is to rise in the rankings. Outside of true statement wins (i.e. beating another Top 25 team), I doubt you see anybody jump over a team that also won. UND is at #22 in the STATS poll (using that one, because that's what everyone seems to use on tv broadcasts). #17 Albany, #20 Harvard and #21 UNI all lost. I bet they'll either be 19 come Monday. Got to keep stacking wins!

13 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Remember, we played without our best player today.

I agree. My only major question of this team is the health. If Reyes and Stanley return soon, and the other major players like Studsrud remain healthy, then UND will be looking awful tough. Keep up the good work Bubba and squad!