SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

What other FCS team has taken such a big impact in respect for a loss to a FBS team? Yes it was a terrible loss looking at BG now. It took us too long to get going this year, but if we play like we can and have showed at times the last couple of games we can win out and be on a big win streak.

40 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

There are 5 games left this season.  If we go 4-1 and finish the season 8-3, no matter who that loss is to, we make the playoffs.  I don't care how bad the team that potential 3rd loss is to.  A team that is 8-3 in the FCS makes the playoffs every time.

But let's #leavenodoubt and finish the season 9-2 and win the Big Sky!!!

Even at 8-3, UND is guaranteed a better record than Illinois St. (currently #23 at 2-4), and no worse than tied with Northern Iowa (currently #11 at 2-3), so I would tend to agree that we shouldn't have to worry about being 8-3. 9-2 is better though!

Und hasn't established itself YET while being a d1 member....(thanks muss) and because of that, the pollsters and committees easily dismiss us as either a one hit wonder or simply a nobody.  Names on jerseys and history play a huge part in selecting polls and playoff teams.....like it or not that's the way it is. Und needs to win out to guarantee a spot in the playoffs. Three losses could potentially be devastating.  A lot of teams no!.....und yes! 

Last year with Unds schedule and record, 7-4 with a fbs in the big sky, if montana was the name on the jersey they would have been playoff bound. 

Und just needs to take care of business and be 9-2 at years end,  get our bye week to heal up and be ready for some playoffs.  

55 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I agree with everything except for the top 8 seed. Not because wouldn't be deserving of it, but because I think the committee would absolutely snub us with those losses.

Hope we can find a way to win out, and hope that if we do that the committee give credit where credit is due.

Contemplating whether a top 8 seed is even something we would want this year.  Top 8 seeds get a bye the first weekend of the playoff.  Since our scheduled bye is the last week of the regular season, would be want two weeks off before playing a playoff football game?  I would think we'd like to use our bye week to get ready for the first playoff game, get rested, get healthy, and then put a on a good performance in playoff game number 1 to get back in the swing of things, and then be all primed for a what would surely would be a tough playoff game number 2, which could possibly be against the Bison.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Longtime fan said:

Und hasn't established itself YET while being a d1 member....(thanks muss) and because of that, the pollsters and committees easily dismiss us as either a one hit wonder or simply a nobody.  Names on jerseys and history play a huge part in selecting polls and playoff teams.....like it or not that's the way it is. Und needs to win out to guarantee a spot in the playoffs. Three losses could potentially be devastating.  A lot of teams no!.....und yes! 

Last year with Unds schedule and record, 7-4 with a fbs in the big sky, if montana was the name on the jersey they would have been playoff bound. 

Und just needs to take care of business and be 9-2 at years end,  get our bye week to heal up and be ready for some playoffs.  

Agree with most of this. 9-2 would be the best, but if they drop 1 more game, they will still be in. 

I understand UND has not earned respect yet, but AJ Mazzolini is a total clown. UNI and Illinois St may be talented teams, but polls should reflect W/L, not potential talent. I get that we won a game against a bad team, but isn't that what you are supposed to do? Yes, we have a weaker schedule this year, so the team should be punished for that? Bottom line is we lost 2 bad games, and deservedly dropped out of the rankings. Then we win 4 straight, 2 on the road, and a home game against a ranked Cal-Poly team, and still don't get respect?

I'm not saying we're a top 10 team, but what has UNI done? Nice FBS win and beat Southern Illinois; Lost to Montana, E. Wash, USD

What as Illinois St done? Played a tough schedule and beat Valpo and a nice win against Northwestern; Lost to E. Illinois, Indiana St, NDSU and Youngstown.

I just don't get using the, "Well, the team is better than their record" mentality when actually ranking teams, as it should be off of W/L performances, not potential talent or previous years.

9 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Contemplating whether a top 8 seed is even something we would want this year.  Top 8 seeds get a bye the first weekend of the playoff.  Since our scheduled bye is the last week of the regular season, would be want two weeks off before playing a playoff football game?  I would think we'd like to use our bye week to get ready for the first playoff game, get rested, get healthy, and then put a on a good performance in playoff game number 1 to get back in the swing of things, and then be all primed for a what would surely would be a tough playoff game number 2, which could possibly be against the Bison.

Decent thinking but top 8 teams also get homefield. I would sacrifice an additional week off to host the first playoff game in a while. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agree with most of this. 9-2 would be the best, but if they drop 1 more game, they will still be in. 

I understand UND has not earned respect yet, but AJ Mazzolini is a total clown. UNI and Illinois St may be talented teams, but polls should reflect W/L, not potential talent. I get that we won a game against a bad team, but isn't that what you are supposed to do? Yes, we have a weaker schedule this year, so the team should be punished for that? Bottom line is we lost 2 bad games, and deservedly dropped out of the rankings. Then we win 4 straight, 2 on the road, and a home game against a ranked Cal-Poly team, and still don't get respect?

I'm not saying we're a top 10 team, but what has UNI done? Nice FBS win and beat Southern Illinois; Lost to Montana, E. Wash, USD

What as Illinois St done? Played a tough schedule and beat Valpo and a nice win against Northwestern; Lost to E. Illinois, Indiana St, NDSU and Youngstown.

I just don't get using the, "Well, the team is better than their record" mentality when actually ranking teams, as it should be off of W/L performances, not potential talent or previous years.

Illinois st being 2-4 and still rated is a fu!$&?' joke!!!  Doesn't matter who, what, where you play....the object is to win and they haven't ! Period!    Is the fcs that bad where a 2-4 team is a top 25 team?????

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

That guy really is a clown. I used to follow him on Twitter but stopped because he adds nothing of value unless he is loving on Montana. If we can keep winning tools like him will shut up. We get to wear a sarcastic smirk and move on. It would be a great subtle burn.

Even without a first round bye, I am confident we would probably host a first round game at the Alerus.  First round games are bid out and we bid 100k last year but were obviously left out of the playoff selection.  I would assume UND would throw the same amount of cash again.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNDColorado said:

That guy really is a clown. I used to follow him on Twitter but stopped because he adds nothing of value unless he is loving on Montana. If we can keep winning tools like him will shut up. We get to wear a sarcastic smirk and move on. It would be a great subtle burn.

and I don't blame him for loving his Grizz, they're a good football team and deserve their ranking. But a lot of his other rankings are very questionable. Again, not saying UND should be way higher than they are. Just question a few of the teams he still has listed and why they have dropped.

6 minutes ago, homer said:

Decent thinking but top 8 teams also get homefield. I would sacrifice an additional week off to host the first playoff game in a while. 

I'm pretty sure we would be able to bid our way to a first round home playoff game. 

1 minute ago, ND1 said:

Even without a first round bye, I am confident we would probably host a first round game at the Alerus.  First round games are bid out and we bid 100k last year but were obviously left out of the playoff selection.  I would assume UND would throw the same amount of cash again.

I would likely make the trip up just for this game if it were to happen.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

and I don't blame him for loving his Grizz, they're a good football team and deserve their ranking. But a lot of his other rankings are very questionable. Again, not saying UND should be way higher than they are. Just question a few of the teams he still has listed and why they have dropped.

I agree, we are definitely not a top 15 team yet but 24 is laughable. Then teams like UNI and Ill State in front of us is a joke as well. I have followed him for a while and have picked up on some subtle contempt for UND. I don't know what it is but for some reason, that he would never admit in public, he just doesn't like UND. Which is fine.

I also agree that Montana deserves their ranking. I just don't follow this guy anymore because I don't like him.

10 minutes ago, homer said:

And travel for round 2.  I would like to be at home as long as possible in the playoffs.  

In all likelihood, you'd need to be a top-4 seed to host two home playoff games, unless there were an upset.  I highly doubt that could happen this year, so it'd still be play one at home, and then go on the road. 

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

In all likelihood, you'd need to be a top-4 seed to host two home playoff games, unless there were an upset.  I highly doubt that could happen this year, so it'd still be play one at home, and then go on the road. 

Agree to disagree. If I am playing a team like SDSU, Montana or another MVFC or Big Sky team, I would want to play them in the Alerus.  We have seen what the playoff atmosphere in there can be.