SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

I guess I don't understand how South Dakota is not ranked. They are in the MVFC and have quality losses to FBS New Mexico, and MVFC foe Youngstown. I suppose beating Weber hurts them, since Weber is in the Sky, and losing to UND (as a Sky team), hurts them even more. Still, I would think being in the MVFC would have been enough to offset those two Big Sky games, and get them in the top 10-15.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I wonder where we would be ranked if not for those two narrow losses, or even with the win against Bowling Green. Although ... How bad is BGSU looking this year! Yikes!

BGSU is bad. I keep looking at the MAC scores on Sunday mornings hoping to see them in the win column. Hindsight is 20/20 but now I can't believe we dropped that game. 

2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

BGSU is bad. I keep looking at the MAC scores on Sunday mornings hoping to see them in the win column. Hindsight is 20/20 but now I can't believe we dropped that game. 

Makes sense considering how we were playing at the time. Given a second shot, I think we take the game.

11 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I guess I don't understand how South Dakota is not ranked. They are in the MVFC and have quality losses to FBS New Mexico, and MVFC foe Youngstown. I suppose beating Weber hurts them, since Weber is in the Sky, and losing to UND (as a Sky team), hurts them even more. Still, I would think being in the MVFC would have been enough to offset those two Big Sky games, and get them in the top 10-15.

MVFC has half their conference in the top 15.  no room for USD.  Big Sky goes 4-2 against MVFC and one loss is in OT.  :0

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

MVFC has half their conference in the top 15.  no room for USD.  Big Sky goes 4-2 against MVFC and one loss is in OT.  :0

Don't try to confuse people with your "stats" or "facts" or "records". The bottom line is if you are in the MVFC, you deserve to be ranked. That is just the way it is. Ask anybody from the MVFC and they will tell you the same. And now, with conference play starting .... EVERYTHING is a quality loss!!! Who can compete with that?!?!

Looking at the polls should put the importance of the Cal-Poly game into perspective. We have no remaining games against ranked teams. The only teams that might have a shot at becoming ranked at some point: NAU, though that is likely heavily dependent on the return of Case Cookus (haven't followed his injury), or even UNC if they can continue to win (strong start for them this year; would LOVE to see them shock E. Wash, though it prob won't happen).

UND should keep winning, even if it isn't pretty. However, playing the teams that we are scheduled to play means that even with win after win, we may not shoot up the rankings. It'll probably only be small bumps here and there, and any loss could really drop us.

Glad to see the boys took care of such a critical game.

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Looking at the polls should put the importance of the Cal-Poly game into perspective. We have no remaining games against ranked teams. The only teams that might have a shot at becoming ranked at some point: NAU, though that is likely heavily dependent on the return of Case Cookus (haven't followed his injury), or even UNC if they can continue to win (strong start for them this year; would LOVE to see them shock E. Wash, though it prob won't happen).

UND should keep winning, even if it isn't pretty. However, playing the teams that we are scheduled to play means that even with win after win, we may not shoot up the rankings. It'll probably only be small bumps here and there, and any loss could really drop us.

Glad to see the boys took care of such a critical game.

SUU probably will not be ranked when we play them but their schedule is such that they may be ranked by the end of the season.  We need to take care of business every week.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

SUU probably will not be ranked when we play them but their schedule is such that they may be ranked by the end of the season.  We need to take care of business every week.

Good point, SUU could be a tough one. That is another one that I am glad is at home. Agreed, need to take care of business every week.

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

What is the Big Sky football tiebreaker for conference champ when the teams haven't played each other?  Thinking ahead if both UND and EWO go 8-0.

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

What is the Big Sky football tiebreaker for conference champ when the teams haven't played each other?  Thinking ahead if both UND and EWO go 8-0.

Each team picks a player, and they rock, paper, scissors for the banner. Hope Bubba goes with Reyes. No way that kid would lose.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Most of our remaining games are against good teams, they just won't get any credit.

There aren't any quality losses on UND's schedule at this point that I see. Need wins....period.

27 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

We should jump Illinois St, McNeese, and UNI this week, up 3 spots.

And Harvard and Cal Poly on style points.......maybe 5 spots??

With all of the love UNI gets in the polls, it wouldn't shock me if they move up after a loss. Something about quality losses and whatnot...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

We should jump Illinois St, McNeese, and UNI this week, up 3 spots.

And Harvard and Cal Poly on style points.......maybe 5 spots??

I don't think SDSU or Western Illnois should be ranked ahead of UND. Maybe I'll give Western the benefit of doubt because they are 4-1 with an FBS win but looking at common opponents. UND beat poly. Poly beat SDSU who kicked the snot out of Western. Also no way in h*## UNI should be ahead of UND at this point. 

In the end it doesn't matter. If UND can win out & win the Big Sky I think they'll be ranked top 10 and potentially be in line for a first round bye and some home playoff games. Team needs to keep taking it day-by-day. Fun for fans to speculate though.