SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

If I remember correctly from last year.  The 16 at large teams are paired up before the bids are opened.  So if we are paired up with Montana or SDSU we maybe be on the road.  Of course if we get a seed we will be at home.  I think we will be at home.

I'm sure. 

3 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

If I remember correctly from last year.  The 16 at large teams are paired up before the bods are opened.  So if we are paired up with Montana or SDSU we maybe be on the road.  Of course if we get a seed we will be at home.  I think we will be at home.

The caveat to that is they know who submitted bids.  Therefore, they can easily "guess" at which bids are going to be large.  Why match up Montana and SDSU, for instance, when you know they both have submitted monster bids?  

Not anything we can do about all this now. We can just sit back and enjoy the coming weeks. I look forward following a few games Saturday and hope for the best. I expect we will be seeded 8 by the time all is done. I never imagined we would be in line for an opening week bye a few months ago. Playoffs!!! From where we were - WOW!!! UND football pride. The future now and it is bright!

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Not anything we can do about all this now. We can just sit back and enjoy the coming weeks. I look forward following a few games Saturday and hope for the best. I expect we will be seeded 8 by the time all is done. I never imagined we would be in line for an opening week bye a few months ago. Playoffs!!! From where we were - WOW!!! UND football pride. The future now and it is bright!

Good points. I recall some on this forum about to step off the ledge when we were 0-2. 

• Upvote 2

Did the selection committee say they are going to seed 9 - 24?  If we end up 9 aren't we looking at a team currently around 20 - 26 in the polls?

And there sits Montana and UNI.  Cal Poly, too but we played them in the regular season.

Sunday is going to be intense!!

14 hours ago, AJS said:

Were there any surprises from the selection committee last night? Especially in the 7-10 spots? Maybe Central Arkansas jumping Richmond, but everybody had to figure that UND would be 9 and SDSU would be 10, right? So, the committee's rankings come out, like most had to have expected and all of a sudden it appears SDSU is a lock to jump UND with a win over a team that would end up being a game under 500?

What changed between Tuesday (day) and after the updated committee selections came out? I guess I'll wait to see what the national guys have to say, but found the local reporters reactions really weird. Were they surprised SDSU was #10?

If SDSU would jump UND with a win, wouldn't it make more sense to just put them #9 this week? Would make everything less messy. Maybe it's a how the game is played situation. If SDSU wins by 6 or less, than they'll stay behind UND. If they win big, then they'd jump. I'd really like someone that knows what's going on to break down the scenarios.

The thing is, no one knows, including the committee memebers. They just make things up as they go. Complete BS selection system. 

13 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

On thing that bothers me about these rankings is how teams are moving up and down but with now real reason why.  Sure, committee members may be looking at other factors more closely and ranking them more accordingly, but there just doesn't seem to be an reason for them doing what they are doing.  If I am Sam Houstone or Jacksonville St, I probably realize that maybe I shouldn't be ranked #1 or #2.  But when you are put in that spot in the early polls and then you drop 2-3 spots after winning a game, It doesn't make much sense.  These weekly rankings are good only if they do it right the first time.  Fixing mistakes in the 3rd poll really makes the first couple ranking useless.

It demonstrates how clueless the committee members truthfully are. 

Let's say both Poly and the Griz win Saturday.....both will be 7-4 but Poly will be 5-3 in the conference and the Griz will sit at 4-4. Would the Griz get into the playoffs with a .500 conference record ahead of Poly even when Poly beat the Griz?

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Let's say both Poly and the Griz win Saturday.....both will be 7-4 but Poly will be 5-3 in the conference and the Griz will sit at 4-4. Would the Griz get into the playoffs with a .500 conference record ahead of Poly?

Probably because of their HUGE non conference win over UNI

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Let's say both Poly and the Griz win Saturday.....both will be 7-4 but Poly will be 5-3 in the conference and the Griz will sit at 4-4. Would the Griz get into the playoffs with a .500 conference record ahead of Poly?

Poly / Griz should be an open and shut case. There's really no argument to be made for Griz > Poly. Poly has the head to head win, best win out of either team (SDSU), much stronger SOS.

Arguments can be made when it comes to SDSU / UND and who is higher. Not one for Poly / Griz.

Colter Nuanez (another thread) states that the Griz get in due to past history/tradition/etc etc etc (and a home game that brings the NCAA big bucks). Don't doubt it given how high they stayed in the rankings while losing over and over again.

19 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Poly beat the Jacks plus the Griz head to head. Travesty if Montana gets in over Poly if both are 7-4. 

I don't think you can put the Griz in over poly. If Montana gets in in that situation, I think you have to have five Big Sky teams in the playoffs,  i  Considering the size of our conference, and how we did against the Missouri Valley this year that isn't asking too much

IMO, BSC will get between 2 and 4 teams in playoffs, depending on final week.  Assuming they win, I'm guessing both Poly and Griz (name recognition) are in and Weber is left out.  Would result in 4 teams from BSC - UND, EWU, CP, & UM.  If CP or UM lose, they're out and I think they both need to lose for Weber (with 2 quality losses - UND and Utah St, 2 mediocre losses - NAU and USD, and 1 quality? win over CP) to get in.  UNC has no chance, IMO, even with wins over UM and CP they'd be just 6-4 against D1 competition and the committee cares more about bad losses (UC Davis).

13 minutes ago, zonadub said:

If the Griz are 7 - 4 they are in and playing at home. Do not discount the greed of the NCAA and the capacity of the 25,000 seat Wa Griz stadium. The same can probably be said for NDSU (in dozen years) and possibly SDSU.

They might certainly get in but it won't be in front of Poly.  If the Griz get in that means the Big Sky is getting 4 teams.

35 minutes ago, zonadub said:

If the Griz are 7 - 4 they are in and playing at home. Do not discount the greed of the NCAA and the capacity of the 25,000 seat Wa Griz stadium. The same can probably be said for NDSU (in dozen years) and possibly SDSU.

I just took a peak at SDSU's playoff history... Made the FCS playoffs 5 times so far. Played opening weekend all 5 times. Have only hosted 1 playoff game in Brookings, a 2009 game against E. Illinois that drew 4,367 in 33 degree temps. 

This year obviously changes things with their shiny new, revamped stadium, and I'd guess they would put in a healthy bid.  But I wouldn't say they would be a lock to host if they end up outside of the top 8. 

9 hours ago, Westside said:

I just took a peak at SDSU's playoff history... Made the FCS playoffs 5 times so far. Played opening weekend all 5 times. Have only hosted 1 playoff game in Brookings, a 2009 game against E. Illinois that drew 4,367 in 33 degree temps. 

This year obviously changes things with their shiny new, revamped stadium, and I'd guess they would put in a healthy bid.  But I wouldn't say they would be a lock to host if they end up outside of the top 8. 

Here's the scenario I'm most uncomfortable with: 

SDSU gets beat on the road by UNI, entirely possible. Remember the advantages of the home field, well stay tuned.

The NCAA puts us at 9 or 10, I call it Fighting Sioux Hangover, hell they've got us at 9 right now. We don't play, so they leave us there.

We get paired with SDSU because of non conference proximity, ranking differential from 9-24 means nothing at this point, and they out bid us with their shinny stadium.  Bubba would have additional challenges trying to get our team mentally ready for that road game verses a home game.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Here's the scenario I'm most uncomfortable with: 

SDSU gets beat on the road by UNI, entirely possible. Remember the advantages of the home field, well stay tuned.

The NCAA puts us at 9 or 10, I call it Fighting Sioux Hangover, hell they've got us at 9 right now. We don't play, so they leave us there.

We get paired with SDSU because of non conference proximity, ranking differential from 9-24 means nothing at this point, and they out bid us with their shinny stadium.  Bubba would have additional challenges trying to get our team mentally ready for that road game verses a home game.

Correct. If we don't find our way into the top 8 we will essentially be #17

Does anybody know how much it costs for the football team to make a trip?  Let's say a trip to Cal Poly.....what are the costs of something like that.  I have no idea how much a charter is....maybe 75k  10k for hotel, 10k for food, 5k for busing and other misc. would be 100k total.  Not sure if that is anywhere in the ball park or not.  However i was thinking about the NAIA since I grew up in Dickinson and watched the Blue Hawks. First round of the playoffs where usually a bus trip, but as you go further had to be a flight.  I can't imagine most NAIA schools getting more than 4k attendance.  How was the NAIA able to pick up the costs of that?  I remember one year DSU went out to play Central Washington, pretty sure it was them anyway......and John Kitna was their QB.  Dickinson lost of course.   Who knows maybe they did a 20 hour bus ride though and I just don't remember because I probably wasn't caring about that type of thing then.

It's too bad that it has to come down to money in that first round.  I can see needing a minimum amount, and if you meet the minimum amount you get to host....that wouldn't be too bad.  Highest bidder will may be our advantage a few times in the future if we aren't going up against some of the big name schools.  But if we are playing a smaller school sometime and we are seeded 20th and they are 10th, we should really have to go play there and not get the home game just because we can bid more.  

To me it seems like the loser of the Sam Houston game should drop out of the top 8 guaranteed, this is their chance to prove they belong in the top 8 and if they lose they are out.  This would move us up, and unless SDSU blows out UNI 45-10 or something I don't think a win against a below .500 team should make you jump somebody else. Especially when you have a common opponent and we beat them and they lost.