SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

At some point you have to spend money to make money. To be the #9 seed and go on the road for your first FCS playoff game won't do anything IMO to garner an increase in season ticket sales/overall tickets sales going into next season especially if UND were to lose that game. Many here have been happy, even giddy, with the attendance this season yet the actual attendance numbers might have caused BF to put in a bid that won't be enough to secure a home game next Saturday (excluding the potential private funds).  It really is a catch 22.

Paging gfhockey...................................................

And if UND is the nine seed and hosts a game, I'm sure you'll be the first on here to applaud BF.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, southpaw said:

And if UND is the nine seed and hosts a game, I'm sure you'll be the first on here to applaud BF.

No................................because UND should, as the #9 overall seed, host a playoff game period. It needs to get done. He is the one to make that happen.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, southpaw said:

According to Oxbow... who cares what UND can afford?  Spend, spend, spend!

I have said this before and I will say it again: If we can't afford to do what it takes to run this athletic department as a Division I athletic department (and making sure we host a playoff game as the #9 seed is one example), then we should have stayed in Division II. We have to make a statement that we are serious about being a national player in FCS football. Also, these kids deserve a home playoff game with what they have done this season. We need to give them every edge we can. Here is Faison's e-mail address. Please let him know how important this is for the FB program and the entire campus,

BRIAN.FAISON@und.edu

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Westside said:

Touché... Absolutely no reason for UND as a #9 seed to play anywhere other than the Alerus for 1st round.  We should have the means to put in a significant bid. 

The thing is it doesn't matter if UND is #9 or 24. No bearing on home vs road game.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I have said this before and I will say it again: If we can't afford to do what it takes to run this athletic department as a Division I athletic department (and making sure we host a playoff game as the #9 seed is one example), then we should have stayed in Division II. We have to make a statement that we are serious about being a national player in FCS football. Also, these kids deserve a home playoff game with what they have done this season. We need to give them every edge we can. Here is Faison's e-mail address. Please let him know how important this is for the FB program and the entire campus,

BRIAN.FAISON@und.edu

Bids are already in.  Hopefully it was a good one.  We should be able to outbid anyone besides SDSU and Montana.  If we get the 9 and we aren't matched up with them, I would expect a home game.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure why people are hung up on "if UND is the #9 seed". Unfortunately it doesn't matter whether you are the #9 seed or the #24, the bids are the only thing that determines who hosts the first round. Period.

UND isn't going to outbid Montana. Ever. NDSU wouldn't outbid Montana. They have averaged over 25,000 per game this year and still have the Brawl of the Wild this weekend. They can put in a bid of over $200K with no problem, because that is what they will end up paying to the NCAA anyway. However, UND put in a bid well above the minimum last year and I feel pretty safe in assuming they did again this year. That required people to step up with their pocketbook to guarantee any shortfalls that might occur and they did.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I'm not sure why people are hung up on "if UND is the #9 seed". Unfortunately it doesn't matter whether you are the #9 seed or the #24, the bids are the only thing that determines who hosts the first round. Period.

UND isn't going to outbid Montana. Ever. NDSU wouldn't outbid Montana. They have averaged over 25,000 per game this year and still have the Brawl of the Wild this weekend. They can put in a bid of over $200K with no problem, because that is what they will end up paying to the NCAA anyway. However, UND put in a bid well above the minimum last year and I feel pretty safe in assuming they did again this year. That required people to step up with their pocketbook to guarantee any shortfalls and they did. It doesn't change the fact that Montana

Is Montana a playoff team this year? They are not as dominant as they usually are this season.

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

So again if UND is not a top 8 seed BF can bid on hosting a first round playoff matchup? That checkbook needs to be wide open..................

With a Thanksgiving weekend game and 7000 fans, how much can faison bid?  Bad weekend to start the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

With a Thanksgiving weekend game and 7000 fans, how much can faison bid?  Bad weekend to start the playoffs.

So UND would be just one of 2 teams playing that weekend? Interesting...........  

Who knew???

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Why all the hate for UNI?  They're clearly the #3 team in the country... Sagarin even says so.

They're above .500 in the supreme MVFC.  Sure their 4 wins come against teams with a combined 8-21 conference record.

But those three losses were close! QUALITY LOSSES! They lost by a combined 8 points to 6-1 NDSU, 5-2 Youngstown and lowly 3-4 USD.

It's not their fault they couldn't beat a Big Sky team this year, even one that isn't even .500 in the Big Sky.

And don't forget about the huge win against Iowa State to start the season.  Iowa State did go on to dominate 3-7 SJSU and 1-9 Kansas.  Those are quality wins.

Edits in red. 

You were so, so close. 

9/10. ;)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

The thing is it doesn't matter if UND is #9 or 24. No bearing on home vs road game.

I fully realize that #9 - #24 depend on bids to host... My point was if we happen to finish #9 (instead of #8 w/ bye & guaranteed home game) then UND, as an athletic department, should have the means to put in a bid that ensures we host. Simple as that.  16 teams can submit bids for Round 1. Looking at Haley's bracket projection from yesterday, UND should have/does have the resources to put in a bid to beat most of those schools, other than Montana & maybe SDSU, Liberty draws very well too.  But, we should be well in the top half or likely higher in bids submitted.

Like fightingsioux4life said, this football program should be rewarded for its great season with a home game & let it be know that UND is now a serious contender in the FCS football world.  Attendance has been up (not where it needs to be, but still up), fan interest is up, I imagine football donations are up, no reason why we can't put in a bid that is near the top of teams #9 - #24.

That being said, I'm still holding out that Central Ark. will lose, UND moves up into a Top 8 seed, rendering everything I just typed moot. ;)

• Upvote 3