SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

As is NDSU. And they seem to have no problem putting a competitive MBB team on the court year in and year out. Unless you think NDSU is rolling in money and we aren't.

Basketball is the only show in town during the winter months for the ag school.  If you don't put your resources there, were do you put them?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Basketball is the only show in town during the winter months for the ag school.  If you don't put your resources there, were do you put them?

Investing in MBB has the potential to bring in much more money than Women's Hockey.  I know we can't cut women's hockey, but we can invest more in MBB and in turn, receive more in returns.  There are studies out there that show how much money school can make if they make the dance, and more if they can win a game or two.  Everything from increased enrollment, to advertising dollars.  MBB has alot of potential if you invest in it...

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Investing in MBB has the potential to bring in much more money than Women's Hockey.  I know we can't cut women's hockey, but we can invest more in MBB and in turn, receive more in returns.  There are studies out there that show how much money school can make if they make the dance, and more if they can win a game or two.  Everything from increased enrollment, to advertising dollars.  MBB has alot of potential if you invest in it...

WBB also offers a lot more than WIH.  It already has better attendance at a much lower cost.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Agree 100%. Like anything else, you have to spend money to buy whiskey. You can't build something like MBB using pocket change that has fallen between the couch cushions.

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Investing in MBB has the potential to bring in much more money than Women's Hockey.  I know we can't cut women's hockey, but we can invest more in MBB and in turn, receive more in returns.  There are studies out there that show how much money school can make if they make the dance, and more if they can win a game or two.  Everything from increased enrollment, to advertising dollars.  MBB has alot THE MOST potential if you invest in it...

FYP....

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Just ask Northern Iowa

• Upvote 1

Zack Muckenhirn had a really great tweet today, as he posted a letter last night/early morning telling how much the coaches and team meant to him.  Best wishes to him and all the team and coaches as they go forward.  Gratefulnees, not bitterness was emphasized, so Zack will have a meaningful future no matter what.

Baseball is a sport that DII schools should have, but not DI schools if they don't have the facilities or a conference requiring it.  If a minor league park was built near the Ralph or Alerus, that could be impetus to restart a program.  DII schools should serve the region by giving an athlete a chance to compete intercollegiately.  DI is more geared for excellence even if in niche areas.

22 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Many posters were begging UND to drop baseball and concentrate on other sports.  They don't seem to post today.

I was one of those.  I actually follow the baseball team closely too.  I stream almost all of their games and was ready to tune in for Jeff Campbell's HR derby for the first round.   When I was in GF, I also attended many games in person.  My opinion is that if we can't fund a sport properly, we shouldn't at all.  The baseball team was playing at a high school field, off campus, with 5.5 scholarships.  

To the people who are complaining about this, maybe you should have actually supported the team and gone to games - we wouldn't have cut the program if there was more support.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I was one of those.  I actually follow the baseball team closely too.  I stream almost all of their games and was ready to tune in for Jeff Campbell's HR derby for the first round.   When I was in GF, I also attended many games in person.  My opinion is that if we can't fund a sport properly, we shouldn't at all.  The baseball team was playing at a high school field, off campus, with 5.5 scholarships.  

To the people who are complaining about this, maybe you should have actually supported the team and gone to games - we wouldn't have cut the program if there was more support.  

I don't think attendance was a factor in the decision.

26 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I don't think attendance was a factor in the decision.

Though, it could have been.  In 2013 baseball averaged 128 fans, and that includes an NDSU game.

And even if it wasn't, I think it is pathetic that people are complaining now, when they didn't even support the program (in general, not YOU)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Though, it could have been.  In 2013 baseball averaged 128 fans, and that includes an NDSU game.

And even if it wasn't, I think it is pathetic that people are complaining now, when they didn't even support the program (in general, not YOU)

128 sounds awfully generous.  If that's how UND does math, the budget situation makes a lot more sense. ;) 

Random thoughts about baseball:

1.  Do you think that UND does the classy thing and gives every player on the roster a 'senior day' sendoff at the end of the year, with the framed jersey, etc.?  Maybe some special fan/alumni events around the last few games at Kraft?

2.  This week's news is especially disappointing because I, for one, was seriously interested to see what the inaugural Fighting Hawks hat/jersey combo looked like.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Here's the athletics budget info from the 2013-14 school year.  http://www.undsports.com/fls/13500/Athletic%20Dept/BusOps/FY%202014%20NCAA%20AUP.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=13500

Thank you for inserting some facts into the discussion.  Much appreciated.

I would observe that UND has done a nice job of managing their affairs so as to achieve a balance in gender equity.  

3 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Thank you for inserting some facts into the discussion.  Much appreciated.

I would observe that UND has done a nice job of managing their affairs so as to achieve a balance in gender equity.  

What facts are you alluding to?  

I would observe that UND is going out of their way to try and balance things that don't need to be balanced.  If you don't understand that look around at other athletic departments.  Faison is happy giving out participation opportunities to student-athletes while other AD's work to make their programs elite.  That is the difference.  

Does it sound bad, maybe.  But it's the truth and is a common sentiment among those in the UND athletic department and on campus.  

19 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Here's the athletics budget info from the 2013-14 school year.  http://www.undsports.com/fls/13500/Athletic%20Dept/BusOps/FY%202014%20NCAA%20AUP.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=13500

One item to note from this, it appears the entire expense of the REA ($2.57 million) has been placed in the MIH section with no facilities expenses allocated to WIH.  Also on the revenue side, when it comes to contributions "not related to specific teams" it would appear they're referring to champions club revenues ($3.14 million), which are driven almost entirely by MIH (primary) and FB (secondary).

• Upvote 2

It seems like this wasn't Faisons decision. He is the easiest target to throw under the bus though.

UND had 21 D1 sports. Most full D1 colleges keep less than 19 sports. I find it funny how some people are freaking out on social media when in reality this was a long time coming. I like baseball but there are a few factors going against it: weather, travel expenses (non regional conference), and it does not bring in any revenue. Most of these people complaining have done nothing to support those programs either.

I am all about protecting core sports that have entertainment and monetary value.

Core Sports: M Hockey, Football, M&W Basketball, Volleyball. 

Other Big Sky Sports must stay: Tennis, W golf, softball, Track and Field, ETC.

Outliers: W Hockey, M&W S&D. 

• Upvote 4

I wish UND would have invested more in the baseball program by building an attractive stadium similar to the Redhawks/NDSU facility. They could have actually charged admission and made it a fun, late spring family gathering. Who is to say GF could not have attracted some type of professional baseball or summer league team. Bismarck is getting a Northwoods team next year, why couldn't Grand Forks? Oh well. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, northernraider said:

I wish UND would have invested more in the baseball program by building an attractive stadium similar to the Redhawks/NDSU facility. They could have actually charged admission and made it a fun, late spring family gathering. Who is to say GF could not have attracted some type of professional baseball or summer league team. Bismarck is getting a Northwoods team next year, why couldn't Grand Forks? Oh well. 

A couple minor league teams were tried and failed in Grand Forks in the 90s, granted they didn't have an attractive stadium.  These things cost money though.