SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Wow faison screwed the pooch on this one

go look at the letter those wrote from September about how his dad and his friends want to start donating to Und baseball

faison never called hem or emailed hem back

A credible person would back up a claim with a direct link.

2 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

It seems like this wasn't Faisons decision. He is the easiest target to throw under the bus though.

UND had 21 D1 sports. Most full D1 colleges keep less than 19 sports. I find it funny how some people are freaking out on social media when in reality this was a long time coming. I like baseball but there are a few factors going against it: weather, travel expenses (non regional conference), and it does not bring in any revenue. Most of these people complaining have done nothing to support those programs either.

I am all about protecting core sports that have entertainment and monetary value.

Core Sports: M Hockey, Football, M&W Basketball, Volleyball. 

Other Big Sky Sports must stay: Tennis, W golf, softball, Track and Field, ETC.

Outliers: W Hockey, M&W S&D. 

Faison is the AD.  On paper it was his decision, in reality his female counterparts made the decision for him.  Go read their Bios if you want to know why certain sports were kept.  

Like I said before, baseball didn't have a voice in the room so they were cut.  This was grabbing the low hanging fruit when they needed to do much, much more.  He knows they need to cut more next year.

On 4/13/2016 at 0:35 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Here are some realities I see:

• No one believed UND should be maintaining 21 Division I athletics programs. We wanted some pruning. 
  • Non-revenue sports will always get the skeptical eye first.
  • This region is not great for "summer sports" as NCAA sports. Face it, baseball and golf are summer activities and those seasons, the climate, and the academic calendar do not align at UND. 
  • We live in a world of Title IX and people willing to bring lawsuits just to watch the wheels turn. 
  • The State of ND is in a budget mess right now. (Argue the why and the politics elsewhere.) 
  • This move set the stage for who knows what later. If the State stays a mess, expect M/W S&D to be in trouble, and maybe even more (women's hockey). If not, this could open opportunities for men in other areas.
  • Brian Faison has made some unpopular, but turned out right, decisions; and he's accomplished some big things (see: HPC, NCHC). I think he's earned a little bit of trust in making a call for UND Athletics.
  • I trust Ed Schafer. 

Is today what I expected? Yes and no. I expected cuts, but not what was cut.

Not having the information that the decision makers had, I'll trust them (Faison, Schafer). 

But you sure did brag it up when you wanted too. :lol:  It is interesting that the cost of the sports that were cut in amazingly close to what the cost of FCOA is.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I would hope that if he was really serious about his fundraising efforts, he wrote more than just one email.  Did he send an email once a week till he got a response?  Did he request a meeting with Faison?  

I wrote Gene Taylor a couple emails back in the day and got responses within the business day.  You'd think the AD  would respond.

5 minutes ago, bison73 said:

But you sure did brag it up when you wanted too. :lol:  It is interesting that the cost of the sports that were cut in amazingly close to what the cost of FCOA is.

The cost of the sports that were cut is also close to 4.05 percent of the athletic department's budget......

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Faison is the AD.  On paper it was his decision, in reality his female counterparts made the decision for him.  Go read their Bios if you want to know why certain sports were kept.  

Like I said before, baseball didn't have a voice in the room so they were cut.  This was grabbing the low hanging fruit when they needed to do much, much more.  He knows they need to cut more next year.

It now makes complete sense that S&D wasn't cut.....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I would hope that if he was really serious about his fundraising efforts, he wrote more than just one email.  Did he send an email once a week till he got a response?  Did he request a meeting with Faison?  

A good AD (or any good leader) with requisite communications skills (which Faison doesn't have) should respond after the 1st email.  It shouldn't take a 2nd, 3rd and 4th email to at least respond.  That's part of his job - to communicate with his stakeholders.

Faison has a long history and track record of handling his communication this way.  This isn't a one-time occurrence.

Requesting a meeting with him:  good luck.  How can you get a meeting with a guy that won't respond to an email?

• Upvote 4

Probably didn't respond because he knew it would be on the upcoming chopping block...and saying thanks but no thanks would have raised a lot of eye brows that spreads quick in today's social media environment....I'm sure would have responded had baseball been saved.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, bison73 said:

:huh:

I'm not sure what your point is; however, I've said for quite a while that I wanted to reshape the sport offering within UND Athletics to better align to facilities and climate. 

3 hours ago, northernraider said:

I wish UND would have invested more in the baseball program by building an attractive stadium similar to the Redhawks/NDSU facility. They could have actually charged admission and made it a fun, late spring family gathering. Who is to say GF could not have attracted some type of professional baseball or summer league team. Bismarck is getting a Northwoods team next year, why couldn't Grand Forks? Oh well. 

While this a great "wish", how would you have proposed UND pay for it?

12 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Probably didn't respond because he knew it would be on the upcoming chopping block...and saying thanks but no thanks would have raised a lot of eye brows that spreads quick in today's social media environment....I'm sure would have responded had baseball been saved.

I have personally experienced BF's lack of response to similar e-mails on two occasions.  To me, that is a total lack of common sense and common courtesy!

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

While this a great "wish", how would you have proposed UND pay for it?

Faison found $140,000 to put towards the turf at Kraft Field.  Money well spent.  At least the youth of Grand Forks will enjoy it now.

• Upvote 2

BF has shown integrity lapses in the past.  Witness the lack of truthfulness about the Sioux name in a phone conference with the other ADs   BF said the other Big Sky AD's were really agitated and heated about the name when asked by GF HERALD reporters.  Terry Wanless was then asked about it in an unrelated interview about it by a Fargo radio station and he said that the Sioux nickname was not mentioned at all.  Terry is a man of integrity.

BF will pursue the things he wants or that his bosses want.  Ideas from left field are not welcome.

"It was very nice, but I just read the first paragraph," Faison told the Herald. "I didn't read on. It was a very nice letter, but frankly, I just skimmed it. It wouldn't have mattered. We weren't worried about our budget at that time, but I should have responded and acknowledged the letter."

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4009872-und-baseball-fundraising-offer-september-went-without-response#.VxAO5NHP6ww.twitter

I don't care if you weren't worried about the budget at that time, you still accept nearly any offer of help raising money.  I can't imagine what he said is what he truly believed, but come on Faison.  He likely knew the program was on the chopping block, but he doesn't/can't say it.  Need to come up with better excuses though.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4009872-und-baseball-fundraising-offer-september-went-without-response#.VxAO5NHP6ww.twitter

I don't care if you weren't worried about the budget at that time, you still accept nearly any offer of help raising money.  I can't imagine what he said is what he truly believed, but come on Faison.  He likely knew the program was on the chopping block, but he doesn't/can't say it.  Need to come up with better excuses though.

A VP at St Jude Medical can be a very high donor.