SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The women's soccer team would be training in the Ralph if the women's hockey team wasn't there.

Title IX issue number 1 is now addressed. 

This has been the whole point. There are ways to work around Title IX without throwing $1 million in the burning pit. 

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

The women's soccer team would be training in the Ralph if the women's hockey team wasn't there.

Great.  UND would then be saving six figures a year cause soccer balls don't cost much.  Neither does that patch of grass they play on.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Has UND ever ran a promotion costing well in excess of $20k encouraging people to attend a single baseball game. 

Has UND ever run a promotion for T&F or golf or swimming.

Love baseball, but this is more about positioning sports for the future and facilities than for the 1890s.

Has UND ever ran a promotion costing well in excess of $20k encouraging people to attend a single baseball game. 

UND or the Ralph?

The Ralph can do what they want with the money they get (unfortunate how all that works out right now if you ask me) but I'm not surprised they'd spend it on trying to get people into their building (more money on concessions, beer, merchandise, etc). 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

So the only reason we have Women's Hockey is because of Title IX saying some females have to play in the Taj Mahal (because UND doesn't have a second Taj Mahal for them)?  Like I said....

So you're saying it's flexible..... there are ways to work around it. Weird.....

Neither of you seem to get the big picture. Women's hockey was started at UND because of the need to add women's sports, and the need to have sports that were of interest to the student body. Not a lot of rowing, or field hockey, or water polo teams at the high school level in the region. Plenty of interest in hockey. As a matter of fact, one of the considerations was the fact that people might actually pay to go to hockey games while people don't pay to attend some other women's sports. But if they had added a different sport instead of hockey, they wouldn't have to have hockey just to put a team in that building.

Now that UND has women's hockey it would be very difficult to remove it. Taking top quality facilities away from one gender and not the other would be just one of the red flags that would be raised. As a matter of fact, taking away any kind of opportunities would be a huge red flag. Especially a program that has been considered a top 10 program in the country for most of the last 5 years or so.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

UND or the Ralph?

The Ralph can do what they want with the money they get (unfortunate how all that works out right now if you ask me) but I'm not surprised they'd spend it on trying to get people into their building (more money on concessions, beer, merchandise, etc). 

Und gave away tuition waivers to get students to women's hockey games. It hasn't been just the Ralph. 

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Und gave away tuition waivers to get students to women's hockey games. It hasn't been just the Ralph. 

Crazy... I guess they are already full invested in Womens Hockey.;)

There seemed to be a lot of people before today on this site who were A OKAY with getting rid of baseball at UND. And if I guess more people would have rather cut baseball than womens hockey. (I don't care about either but I can see the ceiling definitely being higher for womens hockey....the twins brought quite a bit of excitement to the program and students can walk right over to watch a game). 

Not only is it the budget cuts but it's about making the other sports stronger having to offer FCOA to keep up with the (Brian) Joneses. 

6 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Neither of you seem to get the big picture. Women's hockey was started at UND because of the need to add women's sports, and the need to have sports that were of interest to the student body. Not a lot of rowing, or field hockey, or water polo teams at the high school level in the region. Plenty of interest in hockey. As a matter of fact, one of the considerations was the fact that people might actually pay to go to hockey games while people don't pay to attend some other women's sports. But if they had added a different sport instead of hockey, they wouldn't have to have hockey just to put a team in that building.

Now that UND has women's hockey it would be very difficult to remove it. Taking top quality facilities away from one gender and not the other would be just one of the red flags that would be raised. As a matter of fact, taking away any kind of opportunities would be a huge red flag. Especially a program that has been considered a top 10 program in the country for most of the last 5 years or so.

I get it just fine. Most of my posts have been an attempt to get you and those of a similar mind to look outside the box you've confined yourselves to. Women's hockey may have been started with "good" intent, but it's a money pit. At some point you have to cut bait. 

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Crazy... I guess they are already full invested in Womens Hockey.;)

There seemed to be a lot of people before today on this site who were A OKAY with getting rid of baseball at UND. And if I guess more people would have rather cut baseball than womens hockey. (I don't care about either but I can see the ceiling definitely being higher for womens hockey....the twins brought quite a bit of excitement to the program and students can walk right over to watch a game). 

Not only is it the budget cuts but it's about making the other sports stronger having to offer FCOA to keep up with the (Brian) Joneses. 

I don't have a problem with baseball being cut. It stinks but hard decisions had to be made. UND went half way and pushed the elephant in the room down the road. 

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't have a problem with baseball being cut. It stinks but hard decisions had to be made. UND went half way and pushed the elephant in the room down the road. 

Yes, I also wouldn't have a problem with cutting womens hockey (and whatever mens sports) yet still be in compliance with the conferences and Title IX by spending the least amount of money so they can increase the budgets and strengthen the "core sports" on campus that most people care about M/W Basketball, Mens Hockey, Football, Volleyball....big drop off after that tier at UND.

I'm sure Brian Faison knows more about the situation than I (we) do. I like the guy. He gets a lot of grief from this site (who at UND doesn't), but now he can add 2016 Mens Ice Hockey National Champs to his hat (resume). :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Baseball sadly was just a pawn, which was held only to satisfy conference affiliation.   When the Big Sky was chosen, baseball died then.  The state cutbacks are just an excuse to finally cut it so it would appear athletics is not getting off with no pain.

If cutbacks were so critical, why did men's and women's basketball get money to host in postseason?

Coach Dodson has done a great job of communicating with baseball letter winners from the last 40+ years and they have become a pretty tight group.  It will be interesting to see if they make an concerted effort (contribute a significant $ amount) to convince UND to retain the sport.

22 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I get it just fine. Most of my posts have been an attempt to get you and those of a similar mind to look outside the box you've confined yourselves to. Women's hockey may have been started with "good" intent, but it's a money pit. At some point you have to cut bait. 

I understand why a lot of people want to cut women's hockey. I'm trying to point out why it would be very difficult to do so, and why it probably will never happen.

1 hour ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

They don't have to use the same facilities. Minnesota satisfies Title IX in hockey with the men at Mariucci and the women at Ridder because the facilities are of similar quality.

That doesn't satisfy the Feds for the state hockey tournament hence why the girls tournament is at the x with 500 people in attendance. 

One other thing for people to consider in the discussion of cutting sports or of supporting only sports that bring in a lot of people. Collegiate sports were not originally designed to make money. Track, golf, rowing, gymnastics, and many other sports don't have a chance to make money for most schools. And don't forget that even sports like football lose money at many schools. So decisions on what sports to have and what sports to cut are not based totally on dollars and cents. Money has to be a factor, especially in times of tight budgets. But if you were going to make decisions based solely on the basis of budgets, most of college athletics in this country would be eliminated. So would most sports at the high school level.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Coach Dodson has done a great job of communicating with baseball letter winners from the last 40+ years and they have become a pretty tight group.  It will be interesting to see if they make an concerted effort (contribute a significant $ amount) to convince UND to retain the sport.

That could be a wild card.  Some other schools that have dropped wrestling and baseball got them reinstated because of alumni pressure and donations.

3 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I am absolutely amazed that UND was able to operate as an athletics department and be title 9 compliant prior to womens hockey being added as a sport.

How did they do it from 1972 until the addition of womens hockey?

And have more scholarships with mens wrestling.