SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

16 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

got a little heat when i said this pic summed up our whole athletic department and having read that faison "skimmed" an email from someone that wanted to GIVE MONEY to und!! maybe now some people might agree?

image.jpeg

Heard that was a 3rd party vendor...

54 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Faison said he skimmed the letter and it doesn't matter in the herald

Skimming over his wife's Vogue magazine while taking the daily dump is acceptable.......not a letter from someone saying "can (we) potentially give your athletic department a big chunk of change". 

• Upvote 2

I have been a Faison supporter for a long time, as he has done a lot of great things for UND, but I have zero tolerance for how he treated that email.  It's unacceptable to ignore potential donors - it's disrespectful and very short sighted.  We didn't have a budget problem at the time was his excuse?????  WE HAD 5.5 SCHOLARSHIPS AND A HALF TURFED FIELD!  

Will be happy to see him move on... 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

The letter basically says my dad has lotsa money.  

Maybe if dad had written the letter it would have been taken more seriously.  

As others stated, BF most likely knew baseball would be cut.  

Combine those two factors and I can't come down too hard on BF.  

His dad having lots of money is a good thing... why do you write that of?  Are you Faison?  It says in the letter that they were willing to sit down and talk... don't see what you're getting at.

4 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Faison found $140,000 to put towards the turf at Kraft Field.  Money well spent.  At least the youth of Grand Forks will enjoy it now.

I stand corrected.  Faison actually took the money from baseball's already embarrassing shoe-string budget on a yearly basis to pay the 140K.  

10 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I wrote Gene Taylor a couple emails back in the day and got responses within the business day.  You'd think the AD  would respond.

Even if you just skimmed the email as he said he did.......you still respond for chrissakes, even it is something like "Thank you for the kind words" or "Thank you for the email".....it is common courtesy to let the sender know you received it.....especially from a former student athlete. I would actually expect him to respond and ask how the former student athlete is doing in his professional career....but that would apparently be above and beyond the call.

• Upvote 4

I commend Faison for this.  Baseball should have been dropped 8 years ago.  I know I sound harsh, but no amount of "fundraising" put on by the Thome family would ever come close to stopping the bleeding within the athletic department that sponsoring baseball caused.......

12 hours ago, nodak651 said:

His dad having lots of money is a good thing... why do you write that of?  Are you Faison?  It says in the letter that they were willing to sit down and talk... don't see what you're getting at.

No, I'm not Faison.   Apparently very few here are willing to acknowledge what an extremely awkward situation this created for BF.  i guess he would've been hailed a hero on siouxsports for taking their money and then dumping the baseball program a year later.  

When the actual person with the money never contacted him, and it appears there were no follow up emails or calls, as I stated earlier I can't come down too hard on BF   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I commend Faison for this.  Baseball should have been dropped 8 years ago.  I know I sound harsh, but no amount of "fundraising" put on by the Thome family would ever come close to stopping the bleeding within the athletic department that sponsoring baseball caused.......

Their budget was right around 500K.  Faison needs to cut five times that next year, per my sources.  What did he really accomplish?  

On the surface, fine.  BB was always a tough deal cause of climate and facilities.  We all know that.

But, the way he did it by only cutting BB and Men's Golf was chickensh*t and basically kicking the can down the road.  He was presented with options and chose the easiest one, of course.  The problem is doing the easy thing doesn't always solve the issue.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

Their budget was right around 500K.  Faison needs to cut five times that next year, per my sources.  What did he really accomplish?  

On the surface, fine.  BB was always a tough deal cause of climate and facilities.  We all know that.

But, the way he did it by only cutting BB and Men's Golf was chickensh*t and basically kicking the can down the road.  He was presented with options and chose the easiest one, of course.  The problem is doing the easy thing doesn't always solve the issue.

Honestly, I am shocked that everyone cares so much about this. It was two sports 99% of the fan base never even came to support. We are in a colder climate, they don't add any revenue to the school because fans don't support them, and we so we did the obvious thing and cut them.

I feel terrible for the athletes and coaches that chose to come and represent UND but this was the right call. Personally, I would have ditched swimming and diving as well but I am not sure of the title 9 issue by cutting female athletes and where we stand with that right now.

We simply were sponsoring too many programs and this should have been done regardless of where we are at fiscally.

I am wondering how much of the so called retirement was actually our next ex presidents decision. Did he want to retire or was he told he needed to retire due to where he lead this college financially? Pure speculation on my part but the timing with everything and then bringing in a very respected ex governor to clean things up is all very interesting.

• Upvote 3