SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

3 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Do you commend his communication skills (lack thereof), arrogance and ignorance?

Great qualities for an AD.

Ultimately, that's all I see with this whole situation. Faison didn't handle this situation properly, and it's frustrating that he does just enough to garner semi-favorable reviews whereas he should be retiring and/or moving on from UND. The athletics situation at UND is a unique one with hockey being the main sport followed by the urge to resurrect and eventually maintain a top football and basketball program; I do not think Faison is capable of raising the funds and/or support for that tall task. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

I did.  He chose the easiest one, the one he didn't have to fight for.  Got it now?

They are usually the easiest ones for a reason, because those are the ones that should go based off of revenue. They weren't part of the Big Sky, brought in very limited revenue, and had to travel a ton. Common sense states it should go.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Csonked Out said:

They are usually the easiest ones for a reason, because those are the ones that should go based off of revenue. They weren't part of the Big Sky, brought in very limited revenue, and had to travel a ton. Common sense states it should go.

Women's hockey prolly has less revenue and spends 3 times more

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Csonked Out said:

There were realistically seven sports that could have been cut and all seven came close to meeting your criteria and that of not being a core Big Sky sport.  

Another little tidbit I came across: a year or two ago either Irle took a scholarship away from baseball to give to women's soccer.  So baseball went from 6 scholarships to 5.  Soccer went to an astounding 14 (full).  :silly:

25 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Women's hockey prolly has less revenue and spends 3 times more

I get that, but that is around because of title 9. It's my opinion that women's hockey in college wouldn't exist if title 9 weren't around. I Monday not even sure if we can get rid of it, maybe a title 9 expert here can help me out.

Just now, UND-1 said:

There were realistically seven sports that could have been cut and all seven came close to meeting your criteria and that of not being a core Big Sky sport.  

Another little tidbit I came across: a year or two ago either Irle took a scholarship away from baseball to give to women's soccer.  So baseball went from 6 scholarships to 5.  Soccer went to an astounding 14 (full).  :silly:

Personally that is crazy, although I have a soft spot for women's soccer. I was part of the crew that started tailgating at games in 2002. We had a group of 10 to 15 people to tailgate at games, even painted our chests for the last NDSU game in that snowy november. I will admit we did outnumber the fans usually though.

43 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Do you commend his communication skills (lack thereof), arrogance and ignorance?

Great qualities for an AD.

Bingo.  The Flagship University of ND IMO has a second rate AD who struggles and has struggled with some pretty basic needed qualities to move the athletic department in the right direction in this ever changing landscape of college athletics.  I think a number of us on this site know a few people on the inside at UND many of which could not wait for Kelley to walk out the door....now they are waiting for BF to leave as soon as possible too.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Csonked Out said:

Personally that is crazy, although I have a soft spot for women's soccer. I was part of the crew that started tailgating at games in 2002. We had a group of 10 to 15 people to tailgate at games, even painted our chests for the last NDSU game in that snowy november. I will admit we did outnumber the fans usually though.

That is awesome that you guys did that, very cool!  Attendance at those sports (soccer, baseball, softball) is pointless to even worry about.  There isn't enough to even have a discussion.  More about expenses, scholarships and what really makes sense for the athletic department.

Regardless of where anyone stands on the cuts and on Baseball being cut specifically, if nothing else all of this confirms what many have been thinking and saying for a few years now.

We have a leadership problem in athletics.  It starts with the AD and ends with the SWA.  And she should also be out in the media answering these questions since she is more than culpable.

I'm actually embarrassed for UND after reading the Herald article and Faison's quotes.

That's OUR guy at OUR school. 

What a joke.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, bang said:

A question out there for somebody in the know, who knows for a fact not thinks he/she knows, but knows. Is UND now title IX compliant?

If you are looking for a definitive, rock solid answer about anything relating to Title IX, good luck.  Nobody besides a few people on each campus even know all of the 100's of iterations that go into it.  

As far as I have been told, UND is about as compliant as they could possibly be.  Much, much more than any other colleges around here.

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I struggle to understand the argument that someone who contacts BF in any fashion about giving $$$ to the athletic department needs to keep reaching out to BF because he doesn't have the common courtesy to reply to the intial contact like a true professional in his position should.  No one should have to stand with their nose pressed to the glass of BF's office door to get his attention when potential dollars are on the line.

Will you please stop making so much sense of a simple job task by a person in a leadership position?...

It's MUCH more complicated than that.

Cue Peter Gibbons:  "It's not that I'm lazy......It's that I just don't care"

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Will you please stop making so much sense of a simple job task by a person in a leadership position?...

Sorry..............

18 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

If you are looking for a definitive, rock solid answer about anything relating to Title IX, good luck.  Nobody besides a few people on each campus even know all of the 100's of iterations that go into it.  

As far as I have been told, UND is about as compliant as they could possibly be.  Much, much more than any other colleges around here.

Ok, next question. Is the athletic Department or the University as a whole in a $10,000,000 budget shortfall? 

Faison proved to be incompetent with the statements made since the announcement. He can't see 7 months ahead of his financials? He can't simply forward emails of future donors to his subordinates? Can he answer questions to media without making a total ass of himself? It's these questions that he repeatedly fails to correctly answer in the media. In my opinion we need new leadership in the Athletic Department. He just doesn't seem to run a good ship or have much confidence or knowledge of where his department is at or where its going. The cutting of baseball and mens golf might have happened with anyone at the helm. My opinion isn't driven from the outcome of the announcement the other day. It's how it came about, how it was handled and the lack of competence he handled it in. 

If he remembered the email from Thome being sent he sure the hell should've been prepared for that to be brought up. There's still no excuse not to forward on to the giving department. The way he answered the question was like we should expect him to just brush off recently graduated student athletes. I know he receives massive amounts of emails but come on. Apologize and explain that with a massive amount of emails I screwed up and didn't forward it. It's not my common practice for me to do that. He just answered the question nonchalantly and moved on.

Part of being a leader and AD is dealing with the public and he's failed. You're not going to get everyone to like you, but he's certainly ruffled a lot of feathers in his current position.

• Upvote 2

While we are piling on, what is our fearless leader doing with the Mens Basketball staff?  They are currently heading into the final year of their contract.  Is he going to extend Jones, fire Jones, or let him go into his final year like only a completely inept AD would do?  Signing Day already happened, meaning the kid of Creighton is locked in.  The decision should have been made by now - publically.

14 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

While we are piling on, what is our fearless leader doing with the Mens Basketball staff?  They are currently heading into the final year of their contract.  Is he going to extend Jones, fire Jones, or let him go into his final year like only a completely inept AD would do?  Signing Day already happened, meaning the kid of Creighton is locked in.  The decision should have been made by now - publically.

You hit it on the head. He is constantly reacting to things in his rear view mirror. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sioux63 said:

What about the cost of attendance stipend they're giving to all scholarship athletes?  An additional $731,000 is needed to cover cost.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/3830702-update-und-pay-all-scholarship-athletes-stipends-2016-17

Well I'm guessing there was a little over half million in the Baseball budget and around $150,000 in the Mens golf budget to cover it. Seems a little basic and almost too simple to be what an AD at the D-1 level is thinking about how to balance a budget. However, it appears that's exactly what he's doing.  

1 hour ago, Sioux63 said:

What about the cost of attendance stipend they're giving to all scholarship athletes?  An additional $731,000 is needed to cover cost.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/3830702-update-und-pay-all-scholarship-athletes-stipends-2016-17

They need to continue to provide FCOA to the main sports, such as men's hockey, football, basketball, and volleyball. If they can't come up with the finances to at least do that, then they need to cut more sports (such as women's hockey; work around the Title IX issue). 

2 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Faison is complacent with his position on the NCAA Division I men’s ice hockey committee (http://www.uscho.com/ncaa/mens-division-i-ncaa-tournament/). He is the perfect example of a lazy athletics director on the borderline of retirement who gives no attention to non-hockey sports at UND. He's exactly what UND does NOT need at this point in time. UND needs advocates for the sports that have the most potential yet need a few more stimuli if you will, such as football and men's basketball. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Faison is complacent with his position on the NCAA Division I men’s ice hockey committee (http://www.uscho.com/ncaa/mens-division-i-ncaa-tournament/). He is the perfect example of a lazy athletics director on the borderline of retirement who gives no attention to non-hockey sports at UND. He's exactly what UND does NOT need at this point in time. UND needs advocates for the sports that have the most potential yet need a few more stimuli if you will, such as football and men's basketball. 

I cannot get over the fact that the Women's Hockey budget is bigger than Men's Basketball.  I wonder if there is another D1 Athletic Department in the country that does that?  

• Upvote 3