SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

43 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Women's hockey total attendance for 2015-2016 was 16143 in 16 dates. Baseball doesn't even report attendance.

Did they actually have somebody there taking tickets at these hockey games?  Or did they count people from the press box?

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154062179217356&id=16576552355&fs=5 

The world could do with fewer people like this Jen Rice lady. You can tell she's enjoying the cutting of men's athletics.

5 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I am absolutely amazed that UND was able to operate as an athletics department and be title 9 compliant prior to womens hockey being added as a sport.

How did they do it from 1972 until the addition of womens hockey?

According to Jen Rice, she was going to sue the school until wrestling was dropped and women's hockey was added. 

3 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I am absolutely amazed that UND was able to operate as an athletics department and be title 9 compliant prior to womens hockey being added as a sport.

How did they do it from 1972 until the addition of womens hockey?

No one had to be completely Title IX compliant immediately. They had to make a plan to reach compliance and make steady progress toward that goal over a period of years. Adding hockey 20 some years later was part of that process.

Fact is:  womens hockey was looked at as a legitimate possibility of being cut this time around. The numbers worked from a title 9 perspective in conjunction with other mens sports (not including mens basketball, which is ridiculous to even mention).

Because it didnt get cut now doesnt mean it shouldnt have, nor does it mean it wont be on the chopping block in the next 5 years when budget cuts are revisited again soon.

Instead of doing what is necessary for the long term betterment of UND Athletics all at once, we employed the little dutch boy for the near future.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Did they actually have somebody there taking tickets at these hockey games?  Or did they count people from the press box?

Women's hockey is a ticketed event. They are general admission tickets, but you have to have a ticket to get in a game.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

I understand why a lot of people want to cut women's hockey. I'm trying to point out why it would be very difficult to do so, and why it probably will never happen.

I agree it likely won't happen, but it should be on the table (and seriously considered). It is not one of the untouchable sports. Cutting any sport is difficult, or at least it should be. 

27 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Coach Dodson has done a great job of communicating with baseball letter winners from the last 40+ years and they have become a pretty tight group.  It will be interesting to see if they make an concerted effort (contribute a significant $ amount) to convince UND to retain the sport.

When other schools have cut sports it was with the caveat that they would not allow outside money to be used to save it because in the big picture it's not sustainable, there are financial unknowns every year and there are administrative issues - it just delays the inevitable. 

As far as other sports that weren't cut another option is to reduce the number of scholarships. 

3 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

No one had to be completely Title IX compliant immediately. They had to make a plan to reach compliance and make steady progress toward that goal over a period of years. Adding hockey 20 some years later was part of that process.

So we just found a way for almost 30 years and then decided to do away with wrestling?

The problem is Faison is out-voted by his female counterparts on Athletic Department issues.  One wanted to save Swimming and the other Hockey.  So what gets cut?  Baseball.  The sport with no rep in the room and a miniscule shoestring budget.  

Complete waste of time.  The budget is worse next year and there isn't anymore male sports to cut.  Uh oh.  

9 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Mens wrestling?  How many schollies did they have cratter?

And again, how did UND do it from 1972 until mens wrestling was dropped in 1999?

Idk, I was just helping prove your point. Not only at the time did they increase the womens scholarships (hockey) but decreased mens (cut wrestling).

As UNDBIZ pointed out, the lady on facebook proudly claims they were going to sue the school. 

Need to try that prong thingy NDSU uses. 

3 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

So we just found a way for almost 30 years and then decided to do away with wrestling?

No. It means that UND probably wasn't Title IX compliant for 20+ years. It means that they were given time to reach compliance, just like all of the other schools. It means that they kept adding sports to reach compliance, and that instead of adding 1 more women's sport they cut wrestling.

33 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Mens wrestling?  How many schollies did they have cratter?

And again, how did UND do it from 1972 until mens wrestling was dropped in 1999?

disappointed me when I got to UND and heard the sport had been dropped just a few years prior to me getting there, or I likely would have gone out for the team. Frustrating to have opportunities limited because of something like Title IX. Can't tell me there isn't a better approach out there.

59 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

One other thing for people to consider in the discussion of cutting sports or of supporting only sports that bring in a lot of people. Collegiate sports were not originally designed to make money. Track, golf, rowing, gymnastics, and many other sports don't have a chance to make money for most schools. And don't forget that even sports like football lose money at many schools. So decisions on what sports to have and what sports to cut are not based totally on dollars and cents. Money has to be a factor, especially in times of tight budgets. But if you were going to make decisions based solely on the basis of budgets, most of college athletics in this country would be eliminated. So would most sports at the high school level.

Couldn't agree with you more. Well said.

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Wrestling used to almost a universal sport collegiate lyrics and now is almost rarer than hockey.  The women's groups really stepped up its activism and wrestling had the least amount of public support.

1 hour ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

One other thing for people to consider in the discussion of cutting sports or of supporting only sports that bring in a lot of people. Collegiate sports were not originally designed to make money. Track, golf, rowing, gymnastics, and many other sports don't have a chance to make money for most schools. And don't forget that even sports like football lose money at many schools. So decisions on what sports to have and what sports to cut are not based totally on dollars and cents. Money has to be a factor, especially in times of tight budgets. But if you were going to make decisions based solely on the basis of budgets, most of college athletics in this country would be eliminated. So would most sports at the high school level.

Agreed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but collegiate sports weren't originally designed to give their participants a free college education or their coaches a $100,000+ salary either. 

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Fact is:  womens hockey was looked at as a legitimate possibility of being cut this time around. The numbers worked from a title 9 perspective in conjunction with other mens sports (not including mens basketball, which is ridiculous to even mention).

Because it didnt get cut now doesnt mean it shouldnt have, nor does it mean it wont be on the chopping block in the next 5 years when budget cuts are revisited again soon.

Instead of doing what is necessary for the long term betterment of UND Athletics all at once, we employed the little dutch boy for the near future.

It was only looked at as on the cutting block on this forum.  It is the only sport that has Big Ten members as associates.  That's a big deal from an academic standpoint.

Back before the 70's, women going to college was much less common that now, as women married earlier and had children earlier. Title IX was much easier numerically when it started.

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

It was only looked at as on the cutting block on this forum.  It is the only sport that has Big Ten members as associates.  That's a big deal from an academic standpoint.

Back before the 70's, women going to college was much less common that now, as women married earlier and had children earlier. Title IX was much easier numerically when it started.

What has women's hockey playing against the goofers done for academics? I'm seriously interested. 

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

What has women's hockey playing against the goofers done for academics? I'm seriously interested. 

Really nothing but it looks good for academics and Presidents.  It's who you associate with.

But it's the one series that is a serious draw.

1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

Really nothing but it looks good for academics and Presidents.  It's who you associate with.

If nobody knows your associated with them because it's a sport nobody watches or pays any attention to, then it's not going to be accomplishing much. It certainly is not a reason to throw away $1 million + per year.