SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

6 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

So it's worth the 2 million dollars a year they spend on Women's Hockey for that one remote chance that they might end up on a tape-delay broadcast?  

Lets keep adding up the TENS of Millions until we reach that pinnacle.....

I say we cut women's hockey the day we cut men's BB.

3 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Why?

Why not?  Who's had the most success and who realistically has a better chance in future success.  Women's hockey is still a relatively new sport.  UND is known nationally for what sport?  

Do I think men's BB needs to be cut? No. But to think women's hockey needs to be cut to save other sports with little attendance and/or little success makes no sense.

1 minute ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Try 3 million...

So UND spends over TWICE as much on Womens Hockey as they do on Men's Basketball?  Un-f'n believable.  

If any competent AD from around the country saw that statistic they would laugh they arse off at what idiots we are.  Men's Basketball is the gateway to supreme exposure, the most you can possibly get as an athletic department.  And they aren't that far off from making it.  

There is a reason why USD and NDSU built brand new facilities for basketball.  They had the ability to raise major dollars and put it towards the sport that can do the most for them. 

10 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

I say we cut women's hockey the day we cut men's BB.

You are either joking or have NO clue about college athletics. UND has more potential in MBB for national exposure than pretty much any sport on campus men's hockey and football included. 

Total all-in direct operating expenses for women's hockey were $1.3 million for 2013-2014, which included $400K in scholarships (higher than normal due to foreign students). Haven't seen any more recent numbers but I don't believe there were any drastic changed. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Total all-in direct operating expenses, including $400K in scholarships, for women's hockey were $1.3 million for 2013-2014. Haven't seen any more recent numbers but I don't believe there were any drastic changed. 

Was told a number higher than that.  Saw the number you posted on internet as well but my source said higher.  Once again, collegiate athletics is like a shell game with all sports.  

7 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Was told a number higher than that.  Saw the number you posted on internet as well but my source said higher.  Once again, collegiate athletics is like a shell game with all sports.  

I don't disagree and I'm sure their are unallocated costs that would obviously go down if it were cut, similar to all sports, whatever that amount may be. Just putting out the concrete numbers. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Total all-in direct operating expenses for women's hockey were $1.3 million for 2013-2014, which included $400K in scholarships (higher than normal due to foreign students). Haven't seen any more recent numbers but I don't believe there were any drastic changed. 

That's some fuzzy math.

2 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

That's some fuzzy math.

Straight from the NCAA report. Again, includes direct costs only, no idea how the unallocated numbers work out for women's hockey or any sport. Not doubting that the number is higher, that's just what is directly attributed. 

1 minute ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

What I don't understand is why it's so difficult to come up with concrete numbers for sports at a publicly-funded University.

Numbers are hard.

People would be in shock with how bad they actually are. 

Ignorance is bliss. 

Take your pick? ;)

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

So it's worth the (roughly) 2 million dollars a year they spend on Women's Hockey for that one remote chance that they might end up on a tape-delay broadcast?  

Lets keep adding up the TENS of Millions until we reach that pinnacle.....

If UND could drop off non revenue sports they would. If the could drop most women's sports at UND they would.

It's not like they drew golf and baseball out of a hat.

44 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Don't compare Women's Hockey and Men's Basketball as a collegiate sport ever again.  Good lord.  :silly:

Will men's basketball ever be legit at UND?  If you say the only thing holding it back is money, I strongly disagree.  See the gopher men's BB program.  The universitys best chance to win national championships lies with hockey (both men and women) and the football team.  Every other programs shot is slim and none, and none left the building when UND went D1.  We are a small school with limited resources.  When you have limited resources, the best policy is to focus on your best opportunities for success.  Is women's hockey a financial drain? Yep, but title IX is the world we live in and helps satisfy the requirements.  Overall, UND is a hockey school.  The men's hockey program has earned that right.  How would it look if we, arguably the top men's hockey program in the country dropped women's hockey?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Will men's basketball ever be legit at UND?  If you say the only thing holding it back is money, I strongly disagree.  See the gopher men's BB program.  The universitys best chance to win national championships lies with hockey (both men and women) and the football team.  Every other programs shot is slim and none, and none left the building when UND went D1.  We are a small school with limited resources.  When you have limited resources, the best policy is to focus on your best opportunities for success.  Is women's hockey a financial drain? Yep, but title IX is the world we live in and helps satisfy the requirements.  Overall, UND is a hockey school.  The men's hockey program has earned that right.  How would it look if we, arguably the top men's hockey program in the country dropped women's hockey?

It would look wise and prudent.  Overall UND is liberal arts research university, not a hockey school. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

I dont really believe it's 3 million. It's actually closer to 2.5 million...

54 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Basketball has been good at UND and can be good again.  The Gophers is not a good comparison.  Look at B1G basketball in comparsion to Big Sky basketball.  A lot more competition in the B1G.  If UND decided to make Men's basketball a priority, it could be a regular to make the NCAA BBall Tourney, and perhaps eventually pull an upset or two, just like NDSU did.  There is only one real BBall program in the Big Sky and that's Weber State...one could make an argument that Montana is as well I guess.  Bottom line is UND has the opportunity to make noise in basketball, and unfortunately, thus far have chosen not to devote the resources necessary.

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

As is NDSU. And they seem to have no problem putting a competitive MBB team on the court year in and year out. Unless you think NDSU is rolling in money and we aren't.