SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

3 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I cannot get over the fact that the Women's Hockey budget is bigger than Men's Basketball.  I wonder if there is another D1 Athletic Department in the country that does that?  

Ask Daniella Irle and Sue Jeno...

I'm sure they will have ALL your answers.;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

I cannot get over the fact that the Women's Hockey budget is bigger than Men's Basketball.  I wonder if there is another D1 Athletic Department in the country that does that?  

That's pretty easy.  18 schollies vs 13 schollies.  Idalski makes more than Jones.  Men buckets get paid for guarantee games.  Whockey gets nothing.

BU, Quinn, UNH and Maine are probably similar.

Womens rowing doesn't add to a FBS school, but they have to do it.  Boat houses are expensive and those teams are massive.  SDSU has equestrian which is a money pit.

16 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

That's pretty easy.  18 schollies vs 13 schollies.  Idalski makes more than Jones.  Men buckets get paid for guarantee games.  Whockey gets nothing.

Plus, what is the cost of a full schollie for a student-athlete from Europe?

5 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Plus, what is the cost of a full schollie for a student-athlete from Europe?

Likely the same as a domestic one. The cost of a student is fixed, no matter from North Dakota, other states, or another country.  The only difference is, ND kids get a discounted rate instead of the full cost required. 

2 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Extremely damaging to UND athletics as a whole; successful athletic departments around the country do not prioritize like that. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

BU, Quinn, UNH and Maine are probably similar.

Womens rowing doesn't add to a FBS school, but they have to do it.  Boat houses are expensive and those teams are massive.  SDSU has equestrian which is a money pit.

Certainly both the scholarship number and the salary differential are controversial. 

6 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Likely the same as a domestic one. The cost of a student is fixed, no matter from North Dakota, other states, or another country.  The only difference is, ND kids get a discounted rate instead of the full cost required. 

No.

8 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

No, I'm not Faison.   Apparently very few here are willing to acknowledge what an extremely awkward situation this created for BF.  i guess he would've been hailed a hero on siouxsports for taking their money and then dumping the baseball program a year later.  

When the actual person with the money never contacted him, and it appears there were no follow up emails or calls, as I stated earlier I can't come down too hard on BF   

like someone said on here all faison had to do was forward this to brekke and move on...he didn't

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Certainly both the scholarship number and the salary differential are controversial. 

Scholarships are maxed out.  Coaches salaries, recruiting budget, home game budget, apparel are all lacking huge in basketball.

• Upvote 1

What Faison failed to do was make tough PR decisions early.  When UND gat the Big Sky bid, baseball and men's golf should have been cut then.  Instead, Dodson is hired, the homerun derby winner happens, the USC wins happen.  When the program most believes in itself through hard work, the news is sprung on them.  IMHO, Faison was waiting years for a budget cut so he had a legitimate optics to cut baseball when a reason, the Big Sky, existed years ago.

Kelley was probably part of the problem too, as he didn't want heat from cutting sports.  A failure of leadership bites BF.  Kelley didn't want to appear anti-athletics so hard decisions weren't made under his tenure.  Faison in fairness probably had to a bite his lip.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, northernraider said:

so why does it cost more to educate someone not from North Dakota?

Tuition is different depending on state of residency or foreign.  Scholarship costs reflect that.  Minnesota residents get reciprocity as do many western states.

7 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

like someone said on here all faison had to do was forward this to brekke and move on...he didn't

Yes, he could have done that.  And then what?  What does the "move on" part consist of?  Did Brekke know as much as Faison knew at that time about the future of baseball?   Let's say he did, then he has the same two options as Faison had;  tell the young man with a rich dad that baseball is inevitably going to be cut.  I'm not sure if that is the best way to basically break the news to the general public.  Or option two, he looks them straight in the face, takes their money that is designated for baseball, (not just an "athletic dept." donation as others have added to their posts to cloud the issue here) and dumps baseball a year later.

It was a unique situation.    If Faison has ever ignored general athletic dept donation emails, or sport-specific donations that were designated for sports that were not inevitably going to be cut, i'd be outraged like others are. 

1 minute ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Yes, he could have done that.  And then what?  What does the "move on" part consist of?  Did Brekke know as much as Faison knew at that time about the future of baseball?   Let's say he did, then he has the same two options as Faison had;  tell the young man with a rich dad that baseball is inevitably going to be cut.  I'm not sure if that is the best way to basically break the news to the general public.  Or option two, he looks them straight in the face, takes their money that is designated for baseball, (not just an "athletic dept." donation as others have added to their posts to cloud the issue here) and dumps baseball a year later.

It was a unique situation.    If Faison has ever ignored general athletic dept donation emails, or sport-specific donations that were designated for sports that were not inevitably going to be cut, i'd be outraged like others are. 

And I would at that at the feet of Kelley with Faison complicit in it.  Kelley didn't want to do anything that would cause student to unfurl banners at hockey games demanding he resign.  But not making the difficult but needed decisions at the time, Kelley's administration lacked integrity and nobody knew where they stood.  Now they now.  Seen the same situations in the  corporate world.  Lack of integrity causes chaos.

Everyone is saying women's hockey maybe cut next. What about soccer? Granted expenses are higher for hockey vs soccer. Soccer isn't a core sport in Big Sky. The soccer program has a large roster in comparison to most D1 programs. 22 girls are getting some sort of scholarship, the rest are walk-ons. As a side note, the players have been going to BF and DI for a couple of years to report some questionable coaching methods by head coach. Some of which could get university in hot water.  Yet, BF renews coaches contact even though he's only won a handful of games. Soccer might not be worth the headache for BF anymore? Grand Forks is Hockey town USA, not a soccer town.