16 Robert Morris vs. 2 Quinnipiac
9 Boston University vs 7 Yale

Midwest Regional (Cincinnati):
14 Michigan Tech vs. 3 St. Cloud State
10 Notre Dame vs. 8 Michigan

West Regional (St. Paul):
15 Minnesota vs. 1 North Dakota
12 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 6 Denver

It seems every week that Quinnipiac is getting the easiest path to the F4.
This will all look quite different if UMN doesn't win the B10 conference tourney.

I've personally never seen the appeal of calculating what the brackets would be if the season ended today, when teams are guaranteed to change bands and change it completely...  BUT plenty of other people say the same thing about looking at the PWR at all. ;)

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, jimdahl said:

I've personally never seen the appeal of calculating what the brackets would be if the season ended today, when teams are guaranteed to change bands and change it completely...  BUT plenty of other people say the same thing about looking at the PWR at all. ;)

Especially when part of their criteria for the brackets isn't even if they are in the PWR but instead currently lead their league, aka Minnesota at 17 in the PWR.

Here's a sneak preview of what I think are the remaining PWR possibilities. I'll do some more quality control, then start digging into the interesting scenarios tomorrow. Looks like a very straightforward year, though--most top teams are in, then a small bubble that dukes it out among themselves, then low team that could auto-qualify.

http://test.collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrtournament.php

15 minutes ago, jimdahl said:

Here's a sneak preview of what I think are the remaining PWR possibilities. I'll do some more quality control, then start digging into the interesting scenarios tomorrow. Looks like a very straightforward year, though--most top teams are in, then a small bubble that dukes it out among themselves, then low team that could auto-qualify.

http://test.collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrtournament.php

That' PWR predictor on USCHO is fun. Very very very unlikely but Todd Milewski posted his brackets how the NCHC could get 3 #1 seeds. :lol:

http://pwp.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-predictor/?uniq=pwp_56e63acb435ed

• 10 months later...

Just in case anyone missed Jim Dahl's new look to his PWR site it's pretty handy.

http://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrbywins/

Looks like winning 5 of out of the last 10 games would put UND on the bubble needing to win the 1st round series to make the field.  However, 7+ wins would make me feel much more comfortable going into NCHC tournament play.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Just in case anyone missed Jim Dahl's new look to his PWR site it's pretty handy.

http://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrbywins/

Looks like winning 5 of out of the last 10 games would put UND on the bubble needing to win the 1st round series to make the field.  However, 7+ wins would make me feel much more comfortable going into NCHC tournament play.

This is great! No doubt, need a minimum of 6 wins to end the year. All starts this weekend!

Three or four years ago I looked at the tournament fields and concluded that if you are a program from a major conference (i.e., not Atlantic hockey or the current version of the WCHA) you need 21-22 wins by selection Sunday to make it into the 16 team field.  There are the occasional outliers, and a poor season by the rest of your conference (see:  B1G 2015, 2016) can hurt you, but generally speaking, 21-22 wins puts you in solid shape.  With the strength of the NCHC this year, unless strange things happen with the autobids, I think we're a lock with 22 wins and probably pretty good with 21.

We have 13 right now.  I think we need a minimum of 8, or maybe 9, including the NCHC playoffs, to put ourselves inside the bubble.

If we get Jim's 6 wins during the regular season, losses in the first round or at Target Center may knock us out.

My hope is the team finds a way to win at least 7 of the last 10 regular season games, then see where that takes us.

4 hours ago, AJS said:

This is great! No doubt, need a minimum of 6 wins to end the year. All starts this weekend!

This weekend is scary with CC being winless at home and the tough outs they gave us in past NCHC playoffs with some great teams we had. I'm sure their confidence is boosted by the fact they beat and tied at Duluth, while we were swept both here and there by Duluth. Doesn't help we'll probably be without Jost.  Guess we'll really see what we're made of this weekend.

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

CC is awful. Nothing scary about playing them for any team that is even halfway decent. If UND doesn't win both games convincingly they don't belong in the field of 16.

... and yet they are above both Michigan and Michigan State in pairwise.  I hear ya, a third of the Big Ten is really awful.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, DaveK said:

CC is awful. Nothing scary about playing them for any team that is even halfway decent. If UND doesn't win both games convincingly they don't belong in the field of 16.

And Minnie could not sweep #27 Wisconsin?  Pitiful.  But then, the gophs always promise a lot and choke when they have to beat the good teams in April.  Huge school, lots of in-state talent to choose from, and they just don't seem to be able to figure it out.  Between them and Michigan, which has been irrelevant since Hula Hoops, the B1G is just there to take money from sucker fans who don't know boarding from roughing the passer. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, burd said:

And Minnie could not sweep #27 Wisconsin?  Pitiful.  But then, the gophs always promise a lot and choke when they have to beat the good teams in April.  Huge school, lots of in-state talent to choose from, and they just don't seem to be able to figure it out.  Between them and Michigan, which has been irrelevant since Hula Hoops, the B1G is just there to take money from sucker fans who don't know boarding from roughing the passer. 

Gophs are pretty good and they are actually flying under the radar a bit this year. I will reserve judgement until I see how they match up with UMD this weekend.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Gophs are pretty good and they are actually flying under the radar a bit this year. I will reserve judgement until I see how they match up with UMD this weekend.

Agreed.  My comments were more along the lines of "one drooling moron to another."

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DaveK said:

Northeastern and Wisconsin aren't great teams either, but that didn't stop them from beating the Gophers. Even you're smart enough to know goofy things happen in college hockey. As for winning convincingly; statement wins may help confidence, but do nothing in terms of deciding whether a team should be in or not. This is not FCS football where a convincing win can adjust a committees thinking. Even if it was, a convincing win, over what you call a team that isn't even halfway decent, really wouldn't be much of a statement. 

But bravo for setting yourself up to come back an troll either way. Sweep, and its something we should have done over a garbage team, and it isn't impressive. Get swept, or split, and we're garbage for that to. Love those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios.

47 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Northeastern and Wisconsin aren't great teams either, but that didn't stop them from beating the Gophers. Even you're smart enough to know goofy things happen in college hockey. As for winning convincingly; statement wins may help confidence, but do nothing in terms of deciding whether a team should be in or not. This is not FCS football where a convincing win can adjust a committees thinking. Even if it was, a convincing win, over what you call a team that isn't even halfway decent, really wouldn't be much of a statement. 

But bravo for setting yourself up to come back an troll either way. Sweep, and its something we should have done over a garbage team, and it isn't impressive. Get swept, or split, and we're garbage for that to. Love those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios.

It's classic DaveK.  Just looking for some attention.

• Upvote 2