SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings

jimdahl

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

They try to, but in this case, that would be subordinate to two rules that they are definite on- #1 seeds go closest to home in rank order, and host schools go to the Regional they are hosting.  This is an odd duck year too in that the theoretical 15 and 16 seeds are actually pretty decent in pwr ranked 17 and 21 respectively.  Its not like one is a complete cupcake.

I get what you are saying, but there is still the reality that the #1 seed in the West would have to play against Minnesota in basically a home game for them.  I think the committee would take that into consideration and move UND out east with Robert Morris to maintain the 1/16 matchup.  Have they ever not matched up #1 vs. #16?

Will be interesting to see what Moy thinks.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, fargosioux said:

I get what you are saying, but there is still the reality that the #1 seed in the West would have to play against Minnesota in basically a home game for them.  I think the committee would take that into consideration and move UND out east with Robert Morris to maintain the 1/16 matchup.  Have they ever not matched up #1 vs. #16?

I could see that happening as well. IRC, RMU was in the Xcel Center the last time the regional was in St. Paul?.

15 minutes ago, fargosioux said:

...and by out east you mean Cincinnati. no way will they send UND as a #1 overall to the east coast. I see it as pretty unlikely we get put anywhere but St Paul if we are the #1 overall seed. I thought the Excel was supposed to be REA east?

11 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

...and by out east you mean Cincinnati. no way will they send UND as a #1 overall to the east coast. I see it as pretty unlikely we get put anywhere but St Paul if we are the #1 overall seed. I thought the Excel was supposed to be REA east?

Being the #1 overall seed and having to play the potential Big 10 Regular Season and Tournament champs in the first round when it is basically a home game for them would be pretty ridiculous.  So I guess the question is what is more important?  Keeping the #1 seed closest to home, or matching them up with the #16 seed?

7 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Rodents will have to win the B1G tourney in Detroit to get in.  So the ugly helmets (or Penn State or Mich St) may have the pleasure of ending their season, not us.  Dang!

Minnesota could win the regular season Championship and miss the playoffs!!  HA!!  Doesn't get much better than that!  Yeah Big 10!! :lol:

1 hour ago, fargosioux said:

Several times. Now if Minnesota ends up as the 14th or 13th ranked teams of those left then I could see us moving to Cincy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, johnsowe said:

If we are the number one overall seed we will not play Minnesota period.  I do not think that will be a problem.  The problem is getting Denver out of our regional.

So, you are telling me we all have to cheer for the gophers to lose in the B1G tourney?  No problem there!!

49 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Minnesota could win the regular season Championship and miss the playoffs!!  HA!!  Doesn't get much better than that!  Yeah Big 10!! :lol:

That would be the Daily Double for Lucia.  He accomplished that feat in the 1993-94 season, IIRC, while the head coach at CC.  Pretty tough to do once, let alone twice, if you're not coaching in the CHA or AHA.  But keep in mind he was looking at the same scenario last year before MN won the B1G tourney.  Winning two games in St. Paul against a very average OSU squad and then either PSU or Michigan isn't exactly climbing Everest.

3 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

That would be the Daily Double for Lucia.  He accomplished that feat in the 1993-94 season, IIRC, while the head coach at CC.  Pretty tough to do once, let alone twice, if you're not coaching in the CHA or AHA.  But keep in mind he was looking at the same scenario last year before MN won the B1G tourney.  Winning two games in St. Paul against a very average OSU squad and then either PSU or Michigan isn't exactly climbing Everest.

It is when two of those teams are better than you lol. Minnesota was a much better team last year. Michigan will paste them when it counts and it wouldn't surprise me even a little bit to see the Gophers lose in the first round or against a team like PSU.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It is when two of those teams are better than you lol. Minnesota was a much better team last year. Michigan will paste them when it counts and it wouldn't surprise me even a little bit to see the Gophers lose in the first round or against a team like PSU.

The Gophers just lost 5-0 to a very bad Michigan State team who is 42nd in the Pairwise.  I wouldn't put faith in the Gophers beating anyone right now!!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The Gophers just lost 5-0 to a very bad Michigan State team who is 42nd in the Pairwise.  I wouldn't put faith in the Gophers beating anyone right now!!

Michigan was just swept by a bad Ohio State. Penn State just lost to an absolutely awful Wisconsin team (I know we lost to them, but they are awful). All of the teams in the Big 10 suck and any of them can win their conference tournament.

3 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Michigan was just swept by a bad Ohio State. Penn State just lost to an absolutely awful Wisconsin team (I know we lost to them, but they are awful). All of the teams in the Big 10 suck and any of them can win their conference tournament.

Anyone can beat anyone in the NCHC, too. Too easy of a cliche. Michigan is the best team in the conference and PSU/Minny are 2 and 2a. I still think Michigan rips Minny if that's the final.

36 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Yup. If they play Wisconsin, I think Sconnie could very well knock them off. Minnesota is AWFUL defensively and Wisconsin has a lot of team speed.

2 hours ago, fargosioux said:

The NCAA rewarded first seed Miami last year by sending them to play Providence in Providence (even though Providence wasn't the host school), so I don't think they care that much about protecting the higher seeds.

As for everyone's concern about Denver, considering the streak they've been on, I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the Frozen Face-off.  If they do, is it possible for them to sneak up and take the 4 spot?

2 minutes ago, keikla said:

The NCAA rewarded first seed Miami last year by sending them to play Providence in Providence (even though Providence wasn't the host school), so I don't think they care that much about protecting the higher seeds.

As for everyone's concern about Denver, considering the streak they've been on, I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the Frozen Face-off.  If they do, is it possible for them to sneak up and take the 4 spot?

Miami ended up in that regional by default, as the #4 overall seed. There's a big difference between the #1 and #4 seed in this scenario.

• Upvote 1