SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings

jimdahl

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Ummmmmmmmmmm..........I don't work or have any affiliation with the NCAA.  I guess I am if common sense is the issue.

I don't ether but its not hard to figure out the guidelines after Moy does each of his brackets every week.

1 minute ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Is the underlying message here that if we get in it's as a 4 seed?

No, UND could be a 2 seed and maybe a 1 seed if a lot of things go UND's way, like winning out the rest of the year.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'd be pretty surprised to see them flip our seed like that. Has that ever happened? Honestly not being confrontational, but do you remember this ever happening?

Only thing close I can think of is when Wisconsin made the tourney when they were below .500 but hosted the regional at the Kohl Center. We beat them anyway ;) ... Since then they added that under .500 rule.

That's not really the same situation here, I guess.

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

They'd be a 4 seed, if Duluth is the #1 overall they get the #16 team. This has been broken with the #1 team playing the #15 team

I don't honestly remember the seeding that well, so I have to punt on that question, but according to the next quoted post, it's happened where they did some rearranging. :shrug:

41 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Is the underlying message here that if we get in it's as a 4 seed?

Of course, since we are talking about PairWise. I doubt we'd be talking about this if we all thought we had no chance of getting in.

EDIT: I misread and now understand what you meant. We can absolutely get in with more than a four seed. We have the No. 1 SOS last time I checked, or at least a Top 3... we can move way up with wins.

12 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

I don't honestly remember the seeding that well, so I have to punt on that question, but according to the next quoted post, it's happened where they did some rearranging. :shrug:

Well, that changed them from a No. 16 to a No. 15, which is still a Four seed playing a 1. They always try and protect the No. 1 overall seed and pair them with the 16, but they have changed that a couple times.

What you were saying was flipping a team into a band of rankings (from a 3 to a 2) and that I don't see happening.

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Well, that changed them from a No. 16 to a No. 15, which is still a Four seed playing a 1. They always try and protect the No. 1 overall seed and pair them with the 16, but they have changed that a couple times.

What you were saying was flipping a team into a band of rankings (from a 3 to a 2) and that I don't see happening.

If I recall it was switched in 2006 with #1 MN playing #15 HC?

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

... I can't see under any circumstances where if BU is a #1 seed that they won't be in Providence. 

#1 seeds (in order of PWR): UMD, DU, WMU, BU

#4 seeds (random order): blah, blah, blah, UND 

UND as host must be in Fargo. 

They can easily avoid a first-round all-NCHC match-up by sending BU to Fargo. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

They can easily avoid a first-round match-up by sending BU to Fargo. 

Think of 2014 when Mankato got South Bend, UND hosted Fargo, and Miami the got Providence. Miami is closer to South Bend but had to go East. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They can easily avoid a first-round match-up by sending BU to Fargo. 

He's just overthinking the logic. Yes, we all agree it's silly to end BU to Fargo, but they want to protect the intraconference thing.

13 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He's just overthinking the logic. Yes, we all agree it's silly to end BU to Fargo, but they want to protect the intraconference thing.

Can you tell I think "the avoiding interconference matchups in first round" thing is ridiculous.  Not overthinking anything trust me. I get what the NCAA is trying to do or is doing......that doesn't make it right or even that it makes any sense but I do get it.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm talking a borderline, and just posing the question.  Say 3 bottom tear teams win their tournaments, and only the top 13 pairwise get in.  Would it be out of the question to treat hockey like every other one of the NCAA sports, and find an excuse to flip the 12 and 13 overall?  Maybe it is - Hockey has been much more mathematical in the decisions than basketball, football, etc., but I just posed it as a "Do you think they would?" type of question.  You definitely answered "No." :D

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Can you tell I think "the avoiding interconference matchups in first round" thing is ridiculous.  Not overthinking anything trust me. I get what the NCAA is trying to do or is doing......that doesn't make it right or even that it makes any sense but I do get it.

I 100% with you, btw. I was just speaking of precedence and what they have always done. Didn't mean to come off condescending if I did.

51 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

I'm talking a borderline, and just posing the question.  Say 3 bottom tear teams win their tournaments, and only the top 13 pairwise get in.  Would it be out of the question to treat hockey like every other one of the NCAA sports, and find an excuse to flip the 12 and 13 overall?  Maybe it is - Hockey has been much more mathematical in the decisions than basketball, football, etc., but I just posed it as a "Do you think they would?" type of question.  You definitely answered "No." :D

Hahaha, right. I think with the small size of the tournament, they try to stick to the formula as much as possible.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

No offense to Denver, Duluth, or any other #1 seed that gets put in the West Regional......UND will be the favorite to go to Frozen Four out of that region.  Is that a homer pick?  Maybe.  But you can't overlook the home ice advantage that we are going to have in Fargo.  

In a do-or-die 1 game and out setting? You definitely cannot. We get in the tournament and we have as good a chance of ANYONE in the tournament, regardless of seed, of getting to Chicago. We've all said it a bunch, we've seen this team at its best and at that level, we can compete with anyone. Toss in a home crowd in a raucous atmosphere, we have a d@mn good shot.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

In a do-or-die 1 game and out setting? You definitely cannot. We get in the tournament and we have as good a chance of ANYONE in the tournament, regardless of seed, of getting to Chicago. We've all said it a bunch, we've seen this team at its best and at that level, we can compete with anyone. Toss in a home crowd in a raucous atmosphere, we have a d@mn good shot.

If our 2014-2015 team could win the Fargo regional, this team absolutely can.

I'd probably argue this team has a higher ceiling but that '14-15 team was playing better than the sum of its parts come tournament time...if that makes sense.

Also, the crowd absolutely pushed them over the top, one of the coolest atmospheres I've ever been a part of.

1 minute ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'd probably argue this team has a higher ceiling but that '14-15 team was playing better than the sum of its parts...if that makes sense.

The '15 team was a bunch of guys who'd gelled into a team. 

This group is a bunch of guys still. Bring on the gelatin! 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

If our 2014-2015 team could win the Fargo regional, this team absolutely can.

I'd probably argue this team has a higher ceiling but that '14-15 team was playing better than the sum of its parts come tournament time...if that makes sense.

Also, the crowd absolutely pushed them over the top, one of the coolest atmospheres I've ever been a part of.

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The '15 team was a bunch of guys who'd gelled into a team. 

This group is a bunch of guys still. Bring on the gelatin! 

I feel like the 14-15 guys had one thing that this year's squad needs desperately ... leadership. They had a group of seniors who had been through it all and had four years of buying in to the life at UND. They had ups and downs, not just the ups like the freshmen from last year. Those seniors had seen it all.

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Thanks for all the conversation ... I guess what started it all for me was the reaction out of BU if they got sent to Fargo (instead of 50 miles to Providence or 70 miles to Manchester).

====================

Which brings me to an idea that would make the selection show more interesting.    The talking heads fill in the bracket with teams that have to be placed (hosts).  Then, the highest seeded team picks where they want to play.   And so on down the list until all the spots are filled.    I think that would make for fabulous drama, and the bulletin board material coming out of it would also be fascinating. 

"The #1 seed is Duluth.   Scott Sandelin, where do you want to go?"

"We'd like to be in Cincinnati as the #1 seed, please."

and so on.   

=======================

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Thanks for all the conversation ... I guess what started it all for me was the reaction out of BU if they got sent to Fargo (instead of 50 miles to Providence or 70 miles to Manchester).

====================

Which brings me to an idea that would make the selection show more interesting.    The talking heads fill in the bracket with teams that have to be placed (hosts).  Then, the highest seeded team picks where they want to play.   And so on down the list until all the spots are filled.    I think that would make for fabulous drama, and the bulletin board material coming out of it would also be fascinating. 

"The #1 seed is Duluth.   Scott Sandelin, where do you want to go?"

"We'd like to be in Cincinnati as the #1 seed, please."

and so on.   

=======================

Would be really interesting lol sounds enjoyable to me!

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Get rid of it and expand to a 24 team tournament 6 team per regional with the 1 and 2 seeds getting a bye. I think that will make the tournament more exciting.