SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

15 minutes ago, johndahl said:

I would join the Big 10 without hesitation if it were clear that it wasn't a hockey-only thing forever.  Every other school in the big 10 is a large research institution, and an affiliation with that conference could only help UND's national reptuation for those of us who work outside the NHL for a living.

That would also require a long-term commitment from UND to find the resources necessary to move up to FBS in football (the stadium is just one of many issues that would have to be addressed). In other words, we are a long way from making that happen.

12 hours ago, GFG said:

It would do nothing to UND. UND has a good coaching staff in place and the facilities in place to recruit just as good, if not better than anyone in the country. Of course the network only shows 2 games per night at best, do you want games to be at even more weird hours? Has CBS college sports ever aired more than 2 games per night? If a game isn't broadcast on BTN then someone else, like Midco, can televise it. It's not like UND would be locked into only having BTN games on TV. If BTN would rather air MSU vs OSU than UND vs UMD (which they would, because it's a conference game) either Midco or FSN can televise the UND-UMD game.

There was no sales pitch sold to B1G schools. With 6 teams the B1G could finally have a conference and the schools essentially have no say in that because it's the conference that makes them insane amounts of money. With their new TV contract being negotiated right now it should easily be the highest revenue producing conference in the country again. When you're in a conference like that you can't say no to them unless everyone says no. It didn't play out like that. Minnesota was the only B1G school against it.

The B1G teams biggest problems can be attributed to coaching and recruiting, which is part of coaching. That's about to change. Wisconsin will be back in no time with their new coaching staff, so that pairwise suck hole will be gone and help the entire conference. There are rumors that Lucia might be retiring (or less likely, taking another job) this off season as well, which I personally think may be a good thing. I appreciate everything he's done, but I think it's about time to move in a new direction. MSU really needs to make a coaching change. But as of now there should be 4 solid teams in the B1G most years. 5 when Notre Dame joins in a couple of years. 5 of 7 teams is pretty good. Could possibly get to 6 good/decent teams with a coaching change at MSU. I don't have any faith that OSU will ever be anything more than a middle of the pack or bottom feeder team in the conference. The conference is going to be better than it has been, I would bet money on it. Add UND into the B1G hockey conference with Notre Dame and some of the teams recovering a little bit (which they will) and you would easily have the premier conference in college hockey with both name brand recognition and overall history in the sport college hockey. 

No thank you, UND is fine in the NCHC.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Meh, lots of anger, little substance. Like you've said several times, whichever conference has UND will be the better conference, at least in the near term. In the long term, the B1G will grow stronger.

Can you imagine the NCHC tourney without UND? The NCHC is currently the more competitive conference, but it appears the UND fans are the only ones in the NCHC who care. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The B1G deputy commish said Notre Dame was getting nothing for revenue because they had their own TV deal. Makes sense. Notre Dame broadcasts their home games under their TV deal (NBCSN) and the rest of the B1G stay with their existing TV deal (BTN). 

I still say if (and that's a BIG IF) the B1G came to call they'd treat UND the same way: you get nothing, but you control TV for your home games. I wonder if that scenario would get FCS (Fox Sports North) interest. 

I'd say UND would be very wise to hold onto (call it a deal-breaker) one other thing: Ensure that games are always Fri/Sat at home. 

This would be a deal breaker in my opinion. 

UND would and should ask for some small revenue deal (relatively speaking).

If not, then I could certainly understand UND saying no given all the variables.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 7:42 PM, Cratter said:

Disagree with plenty in this opinion column.  First, Minnesota had no choice so Gopher fans should not blame the AD for the move to the BTHC.  Conference bylaws state that if 6 schools field a sport that the conference can sponsor the sport.  When PSU started hockey they needed a conference and the BTHC provided that conference.  What were the other 5 schools supposed to do?  Tell PSU to go pound sand?  The BIG schools are linked together in so many other ways both athletically and academically that you can't tell a conference member to pound sand over hockey.  No, the other Big Ten Hockey fans don't like it and didn't like to lose the WCHA and the CCHA but that's a sacrifice you have to make for the greater good when you are a part of the Big Ten conference.

The writer also waxes poetically about the WCHA but fails to mention that half the old WCHA (Michigan, MSU, Wisco, Minn, and ND) make up the BTHC (the other half makes up the NCHC now).  The WCHA was great, in the 2000's, with the WCHA Final Five and some of the epic games between the Gophers and the Sioux.  That was the pinnacle, the rest of its history is not as glamorous.  Really, SCSU and Mankato were not greatly accepted in the beginning.  Little brother tag alongs that would take players from the U.  Now Gopher fans are crying about losing games against those schools.  Don't know why since Goldy is like 1 for the last 20 against in-state schools.  The U still plays those schools in non-conference games and has the North Star Cup series so it's not like they never play anymore.

You know what sucks about the formation of the BTHC?  No more of the Sioux vs Gophers fighting for the WCHA title.  That's about the only thing that sucks.  Everything else is just piling on and whining.  Wisco, scUM, and MSU are historic programs, ND is no slouch, and PSU and OSU are gaining ground.  Give the BTHC schools some time to rebuild their programs, have a few nasty episodes on the ice that breeds some contempt, and the conference will take off soon enough.  Same thing for the NCHC, once the schools become all-too-familiar with each other the rivalries will blossom.

It's just time to get over it and embrace the change as the WCHA is not coming back.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

And I think that everyone except the Bigten is fine with it. The NCHC has become the Heir apparent to the old WCHA  and the teams in the reformed WCHA are getting more national attention and starting to develop competitive programs, Michigan Tech has returned to National Prominence, Minnesota State in getting some traction, Ferris State made it to the National tourney and upset saint cloud state, and Bowling Green has been doing very well.The main losers are the big ten teams.

True dat.

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2016 at 9:59 AM, Yote 53 said:

Disagree with plenty in this opinion column.  First, Minnesota had no choice so Gopher fans should not blame the AD for the move to the BTHC.  Conference bylaws state that if 6 schools field a sport that the conference can sponsor the sport.  When PSU started hockey they needed a conference and the BTHC provided that conference.  What were the other 5 schools supposed to do?  Tell PSU to go pound sand?  The BIG schools are linked together in so many other ways both athletically and academically that you can't tell a conference member to pound sand over hockey.  No, the other Big Ten Hockey fans don't like it and didn't like to lose the WCHA and the CCHA but that's a sacrifice you have to make for the greater good when you are a part of the Big Ten conference.

The writer also waxes poetically about the WCHA but fails to mention that half the old WCHA (Michigan, MSU, Wisco, Minn, and ND) make up the BTHC (the other half makes up the NCHC now).  The WCHA was great, in the 2000's, with the WCHA Final Five and some of the epic games between the Gophers and the Sioux.  That was the pinnacle, the rest of its history is not as glamorous.  Really, SCSU and Mankato were not greatly accepted in the beginning.  Little brother tag alongs that would take players from the U.  Now Gopher fans are crying about losing games against those schools.  Don't know why since Goldy is like 1 for the last 20 against in-state schools.  The U still plays those schools in non-conference games and has the North Star Cup series so it's not like they never play anymore.

You know what sucks about the formation of the BTHC?  No more of the Sioux vs Gophers fighting for the WCHA title.  That's about the only thing that sucks.  Everything else is just piling on and whining.  Wisco, scUM, and MSU are historic programs, ND is no slouch, and PSU and OSU are gaining ground.  Give the BTHC schools some time to rebuild their programs, have a few nasty episodes on the ice that breeds some contempt, and the conference will take off soon enough.  Same thing for the NCHC, once the schools become all-too-familiar with each other the rivalries will blossom.

It's just time to get over it and embrace the change as the WCHA is not coming back.

The problem for  MN in the BTHC is that the schools are so far from Minneapolis that that you get very few visiting fans at the games.  Wisconsin is the only school within driving distance.  With few visiting fans it is harder to build hockey rivalries and fill up the arena.  Mariucci used to see a lot of UND, SCSU and UMD fans for those series.  They don't get that now and Notre Dame won't help with that.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

And I think that everyone except the Bigten is fine with it. The NCHC has become the Heir apparent to the old WCHA  and the teams in the reformed WCHA are getting more national attention and starting to develop competitive programs, Michigan Tech has returned to National Prominence, Minnesota State in getting some traction, Ferris State made it to the National tourney and upset saint cloud state, and Bowling Green has been doing very well.The main losers are the big ten teams.

Short-sighted.  Most all the teams you listed are D2, low budget teams that would vote to reduce or even if given the chance.  UND is in another class from those programs.  

The Big Ten will turn around, its only a matter of time.  Too many resources not to.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

The Big Ten Hockey Conference has no hope for a future.

Minus having the facilities and budgets permanently in place, even being a second tier sport on some of the campuses. Fan support isn't bad either considering every B1G team was in the top 11 of average attendance.

10 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

The problem for  MN in the BTHC is that the schools are so far from Minneapolis that that you get very few visiting fans at the games.  Wisconsin is the only school within driving distance.  With few visiting fans it is harder to build hockey rivalries and fill up the arena.  Mariucci used to see a lot of UND, SCSU and UMD fans for those series.  They don't get that now and Notre Dame won't help with that.

I went to a ND/UMN game a couple years ago.  There weren't thousands of Irish fans there or anything but there were plenty.  Probably the most "national" fanbase in collegiate athletics.

42 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I went to a ND/UMN game a couple years ago.  There weren't thousands of Irish fans there or anything but there were plenty.  Probably the most "national" fanbase in collegiate athletics.

... but not for hockey.

45 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

That may be true of the older generations but seems to be less so among the younger crowd.  

Just now, tnt said:

... but not for hockey.

Saw as many or more irish fans at the game as I did opposing fans at any of the UND hockey games I made it to this year.  <cue some guy saying "YEAH BECAUSE TICKETS ARE SO HARD TO GET AT THE RALPH">

44 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Most of whom likely have no ties to the school beyond watching them on television.  My brother in law is ND alum and says the majority of ND fans he meets are bandwagon.  Akin to rooting for Duke in basketball.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Most of whom likely have no ties to the school beyond watching them on television.  My brother in law is ND alum and says the majority of ND fans he meets are bandwagon.  Akin to rooting for Duke in basketball.

Duh.  A school with like 8,000 undergrads is probably not filling an 80,000+ football stadium with just alums. Wouldn't compare it to Duke basketball.  Notre Dame would be more comparable to the Yankees.

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Duh.  A school with like 8,000 undergrads is probably not filling an 80,000+ football stadium with just alums. Wouldn't compare it to Duke basketball.  Notre Dame would be more comparable to the Yankees.

Have you ever been? It's driving distance from a 10 million person metro where their biggest alumni base is. I was referring to the fans in MN with no regional ties or anything like that.

2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Saw as many or more irish fans at the game as I did opposing fans at any of the UND hockey games I made it to this year.  <cue some guy saying "YEAH BECAUSE TICKETS ARE SO HARD TO GET AT THE RALPH">

Both teams were in the Frozen Four in St. Paul in 2011.  Notre Dame wasn't represented very well, especially when compared to North Dakota. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, tnt said:

Both teams were in the Frozen Four in St. Paul in 2011.  Notre Dame wasn't represented very well, especially when compared to North Dakota. 

I wouldn't expect a Notre Dame to send more people to St Paul than UND.  

All I can say is what I mentioned earlier, I saw as many Irish fans at Mariucci as I saw opposing teams fans at the Ralph this year for the 5 or 6 games I made it to.  I didn't say they'd do more for B1G attendance than UND by any means.  I would think they will help out somewhat though at least for conference games.

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Have you ever been? It's driving distance from a 10 million person metro where their biggest alumni base is. I was referring to the fans in MN with no regional ties or anything like that.

Hoping to make it down this year for a pilgrimage.