SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

19 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

Another possible issue, Vikings play Detroit at noon on Sunday in Minneapolis

That sounds like a good time. Sioux-Gophers Friday night, United FC NASL championship semifinal game on Saturday, Vikings game Sunday afternoon, Sioux-Gophers Sunday night. Add in some Hola Arepa and you have yourself a weekend.

1 hour ago, joeyjr said:

That sounds like a good time. Sioux-Gophers Friday night, United FC NASL championship semifinal game on Saturday, Vikings game Sunday afternoon, Sioux-Gophers Sunday night. Add in some Hola Arepa and you have yourself a weekend.

Problem is, Sunday games tend to be afternoon games. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

That just sounds like more tickets available for Sioux fans to me!

I doubt it. You cannot tell me that Gopher fans have not been waiting for this game for awhile and with it being at Mariucci arena, its going to be the hottest ticket in town. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, siouxkid12 said:

I doubt it. You cannot tell me that Gopher fans have not been waiting for this game for awhile and with it being at Mariucci arena, its going to be the hottest ticket in town. 

Well, according to some of them, all they care about is the B1G and Wisconsin. :silly:

Seriously, I agree with you 100%. This will be the hottest ticket for that program in awhile.

38 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

It won't be the hottest ticket in town with a Vikings home game during the inaugural season of their new stadium. If not for the Vikings, though, I think you would be correct. This is a series both Gopher and UND fans have been craving for awhile so tickets will be at a premium

29 minutes ago, GFG said:

It won't be the hottest ticket in town with a Vikings home game during the inaugural season of their new stadium. If not for the Vikings, though, I think you would be correct. This is a series both Gopher and UND fans have been craving for awhile so tickets will be at a premium

Even in the "State of Hockey"?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

Even in the "State of Hockey"?

Haha yes. Obviously the Vikings are astronomically more popular than Gophers hockey. Heck, even Gophers football is way more popular than Gophers hockey.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, GFG said:

Haha yes. Obviously the Vikings are astronomically more popular than Gophers hockey. Heck, even Gophers football is way more popular than Gophers hockey.

Gopher basketball is more popular than Gopher hockey as well.  

11 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Gopher basketball is more popular than Gopher hockey as well.  

Also true. College basketball and football are huge all across the country and being in a major conference makes those sports more popular. 

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Obviously it will be the hottest ticket in town, they're playing the defending national champions :D

**Note: I will be merciless in reminding every Gopher fan I encounter/tries to talk crap about our nickname that they shall henceforth refer to us as the defending national champions.

I just hope the UND fans a scrape up a good portion of the hockey tickets (with so much going on in the cities) and remind the goofs who is the defending national champions.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, GFG said:

Also true. College basketball and football are huge all across the country and being in a major conference makes those sports more popular. 

Well, there is the matter of a century of tradition, e.g. you can't slap the new B1G logo over the hockey standings and expect everyone to fall over themselves to attend/watch.  I'm looking at you, Alvarez. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Well, there is the matter of a century of tradition, e.g. you can't slap the new B1G logo over the hockey standings and expect everyone to fall over themselves to attend/watch.  I'm looking at you, Alvarez. 

I completely agree. I do think the B1G hockey conference will be more than fine over time, but they expected fans to take to it much better. I think other schools are more in tune with the B1G "brand" than Minnesota fans. Outside of Iowa, Wisconsin and now Nebraska, we're huge outliers in the B1G footprint. It's much more of a "Mideast" kind of conference than a Midwest/northern conference, so when fans of a very niche sport get used to historically being in a conference with all of their geographical foes only to have it ripped away for more games against those further east teams they're going to be upset. I'm pretty sure the B1G didn't expect the amount of backlash they've received from Minnesota fans. It's something they should've (but didn't, of course) thought of before hand, because ripping the one team that didn't want to join your conference away from theirs when they're the biggest hockey fan base you've got isn't a good way to start your new conference successfully. It's reached the point now where I don't think Minnesota hockey fans will forgive the B1G unless UND is added. That was a special rivalry and the conference ruined it. Sure it'll be awesome to play the next couple of years, but with no regular season points on the line it's not going to be quite the same as it had been. I thought the games against Minnesota schools would remain the same like that, but it's just not true. They just don't feel as important now. 

• Upvote 3

From Strib article:

The source, however, said the conference is developing guidelines for affiliate membership built around three key factors: History of success, academic standards and geographic location.

Who would the candidates be that meet that criteria?

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

From Strib article:

The source, however, said the conference is developing guidelines for affiliate membership built around three key factors: History of success, academic standards and geographic location.

Honestly...nobody? Like I said a long time ago, the word internally at the B1G was that they wanted UCONN for hockey only...they might be the only team that fits the academic and geographic location, but they certainly don't fit the success.

UND meets 2 of the 3. Good enough for me :D

13 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

From Strib article:

Omaha is out...

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

From Strib article:

Geographic location can mean a lot of different things. Are they looking for a school in a traditional hockey area, a school in the B1G footprint, or a school in a large tv market outside the B1G footprint that could allow for expansion of B1G viewership?