SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

5 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

I doubt it. You cannot tell me that Gopher fans have not been waiting for this game for awhile and with it being at Mariucci arena, its going to be the hottest ticket in town. 

Minneapolis is a Viking Town first.  My Twitter handle is NDSIOUXVIKING, so can you see where I will be ok with a 3:30-4 PM start. 

10 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

No, Minneapolis is a bandwagon town. 

No, the bandwagon town is located on I-94 on the Minnesota/North Dakota border. Ten years ago, they couldn't give tickets away to a certain sport. Now every person you come across claims to be some sort of super fan.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

I doubt it. You cannot tell me that Gopher fans have not been waiting for this game for awhile and with it being at Mariucci arena, its going to be the hottest ticket in town. 

You'd hope a metro of just under four million could sell out a 10k rink when a metro of 100k can sell out 12k. ;)

7 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I think 100k might be generous for GF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Grand_Forks

Two counties make up the metropolitan area – Grand Forks County in North Dakota and Polk County in Minnesota. As of the 2010 census, the MSA had a population of 98,461, and in 2014 estimates placed the population at 101,842

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You'd hope a metro of just under four million could sell out a 10k rink when a metro of 100k can sell out 12k. ;)

One would think that but the sad truth is, they can't. I've been to a few games (wife gets free tickets and its college hockey) and I'd say its 3/4 full each time I've went.

59 minutes ago, snova4 said:

No, the bandwagon town is located on I-94 on the Minnesota/North Dakota border. Ten years ago, they couldn't give tickets away to a certain sport. Now every person you come across claims to be some sort of super fan.

Are you talking about Dragons football? I'm a HUGE fan of them! :D

3 minutes ago, chicofelipe said:

It is a bit of a stretch to include everybody in those two counties as part of the Grand Forks Metro area.  

How is it a stretch? Just because they are in two different states does not mean they are not part of the metro.

Don't get me wrong I like the nchc and as a fan wouldn't want UND to go to the big ten but this is a no brainer. From a dollar stand point it would be a smart decision to join. There's more publicity=dollars.  Big ten is more commercialized and with that comes more money. From a fans standpoint its not any better but for the team and university it would be a smart decision in the long run.

11 hours ago, Cratter said:

Or as some publications call it "Americas Best Hockey Town."

As terrible of a moniker is for "Title Town", "the State of Hockey", "whatever they were calling Boston recently", etc . . . I started referring to Grand Forks as Victory Village.

27 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

Don't get me wrong I like the nchc and as a fan wouldn't want UND to go to the big ten but this is a no brainer. From a dollar stand point it would be a smart decision to join. There's more publicity=dollars.  Big ten is more commercialized and with that comes more money. From a fans standpoint its not any better but for the team and university it would be a smart decision in the long run.

We've gone over this, UND would be an invite only school and would not receive any revenue from the B10 network. So their only other option would be to split the revenue from the B10 tournament and why would UND want to share that when it would be majority of their fans showing up to begin with.

6 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

We've gone over this, UND would be an invite only school and would not receive any revenue from the B10 network.

I don't think you nor I know that for sure...

However, if that were indeed the case, it's a non-starter. 

We would need to have some small revenue percentage - peanuts for them, compared to what they are taking in and what UND would bring in return.

5 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

We've gone over this, UND would be an invite only school and would not receive any revenue from the B10 network. So their only other option would be to split the revenue from the B10 tournament and why would UND want to share that when it would be majority of their fans showing up to begin with.

Sorry, but no one knows whether the Big 10 would offer money from the network or not. UND wouldn't get a full share, because they wouldn't be a full member. But until a negotiation was started it isn't possible to say what they would offer UND. Even a hockey only share of the network funds might be significant to UND, and wouldn't be missed by the rest of the conference. It could add up to more than the Midco contract.

• Upvote 3