SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

8 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

PLus Ariz St isn't a proven hockey program and they don't have a permanent rink yet and the B1G doesn't take rentals if more PAC12 program s appear.  Furthermore, Ariz St Coach Powers was quoted as saying they have two conference offers, not three.  The WCHA has officially offered Ariz St and the NCHC would certainly offer them.  

Why would the NCHC offer ASU?  From the sounds of it, they would only be temporary until more Western teams go D1.  That and the fact they have no campus rink makes them a perfect fit, right? ;)

On 3/23/2016 at 7:57 AM, IrishSiouxFan said:

Have you not seen the BTHC attendance figures and fan support lately? The fans are unhappy to the point of being mutinous. Notre Dame averages under 4,800 people per game and did very little in terms of raising the prestige of HE.  Notre Dame is a big name in college athletics but college hockey is another beast all to it's self.

A few years of winter trips to Arizona are better than none ;)

• Upvote 1

It sounds like the B1G will stay at 7 teams. The B1G isn't going to share any B1G Network revenue with John Hopkins and Notre Dame because they both have their own TV deals. So if the B1G adds another affiliate for hockey they most likely will have to share B1G Network revenue with any other affiliates. If someone is good at adding videos from Twitter there is one on BTN Live's Twitter posted on March 23rd talking to Traviola about hockey and adding Notre Dame. 

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Traviola turned to Tom McGinnis for his thoughts and Tom said, "The B10 is very excited to add the Notre Dame Terriers to the conference."

Then they both slowly paddled away in their Douche Canoe.

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Why would the NCHC offer ASU?  From the sounds of it, they would only be temporary until more Western teams go D1.  That and the fact they have no campus rink makes them a perfect fit, right? ;)

Its a brand name school, which the NCHC doesn't have.

The NCHC can take one chance that a good program can develop.

After thinking about this for the past couple of weeks, a light has lit... If the B1G offers UND while Faison is the AD, he will fight it with all the power he has. He was arguably the instigator of the conference forming in the first place, so UND will not leave the NCHC without a huge fight from Faison. The NCHC is his legacy, more than anything else he has done in his entire career.

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

So they can leave in two years?  No thanks.

Exactly, the NCHC was set up as a conference where hockey is a priority sport on campus. And I don't know if Arizona State is planning on making it a priority on their campus. Of course, they don't do much in any other sport, so I suppose there is a chance hockey could become the top dog there.

Upon second reflection, I think its unlikely that ASU would get a straight up immediate conference invitation from either the B1G or the NCHC.    The hit to everyone's RPI/PWR would be too much.

I can see some type of scheduling agreement.   (home and home, next 2 years, for example)  If I am thinking like an athletic director, I'm also wondering what else ASU can offer that's worth my while.  Miami or Western would love to play a football money game at ASU in front of 90,000.   UND would be pleased to get a couple basketball games and/or a weekend of baseball.  Or swimming - a chance to rub shoulders with USA coach Bob Bowman or Michael Phelps.   Or golf.  Or research.    As a P5 member, ASU has a foot in the door to block things like the Big Ten's age limit proposal.   Just a lot of possibilities.   

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Upon second reflection, I think its unlikely that ASU would get a straight up immediate conference invitation from either the B1G or the NCHC.    The hit to everyone's RPI/PWR would be too much.

I can see some type of scheduling agreement.   (home and home, next 2 years, for example)  If I am thinking like an athletic director, I'm also wondering what else ASU can offer that's worth my while.  Miami or Western would love to play a football money game at ASU in front of 90,000.   UND would be pleased to get a couple basketball games and/or a weekend of baseball.  Or swimming - a chance to rub shoulders with USA coach Bob Bowman or Michael Phelps.   Or golf.  Or research.    As a P5 member, ASU has a foot in the door to block things like the Big Ten's age limit proposal.   Just a lot of possibilities.   

I have been a proponent of UND scheduling a home and home with Arizona State to help give their program some instant credibility. That would keep with our tradition of helping nascent programs get off the ground and get established.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I have been a proponent of UND scheduling a home and home with Arizona State to help give their program some instant credibility. That would keep with our tradition of helping nascent programs get off the ground and get established.

I agree, it is always a good feeling to brag about what the Sioux helped do for BSU, and Alaska...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Exactly, the NCHC was set up as a conference where hockey is a priority sport on campus. And I don't know if Arizona State is planning on making it a priority on their campus. Of course, they don't do much in any other sport, so I suppose there is a chance hockey could become the top dog there.

So W Mich is in the NCHC because of its hockey prowess?

If a P5 school wants to be in your single sport conference you jump through hoops to make it happen.  A P5 school will give a lot better bargaining position to affect rules and CBS Sports will demand it.  The DU AD probably personally delivered the invitation herself because they and CC are so hot for Ariz St.  Ariz St will give instant credibility for DU and the NCHC among non-hockey fans.  UND will be for it too as it gives them more academic credibility and a very important alumni market.

So Ariz St is going to be worse than CC or WMU?  

2 hours ago, zonadub said:

After thinking about this for the past couple of weeks, a light has lit... If the B1G offers UND while Faison is the AD, he will fight it with all the power he has. He was arguably the instigator of the conference forming in the first place, so UND will not leave the NCHC without a huge fight from Faison. The NCHC is his legacy, more than anything else he has done in his entire career.

If the B1G offers, which it wont, Faison would be powerless as Schafer or Kennedy will take a second to say YES.

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

So W Mich is in the NCHC because of its hockey prowess?

If a P5 school wants to be in your single sport conference you jump through hoops to make it happen.  A P5 school will give a lot better bargaining position to affect rules and CBS Sports will demand it.  The DU AD probably personally delivered the invitation herself because they and CC are so hot for Ariz St.  Ariz St will give instant credibility for DU and the NCHC among non-hockey fans.  UND will be for it too as it gives them more academic credibility and a very important alumni market.

So Ariz St is going to be worse than CC or WMU?  

I imagine WMU joined the NCHC because they are looking into making their hockey program the centerpiece of their athletic department. They do nothing in FB. They do nothing in MBB or WBB. Their best bet is to put resources into Division I hockey. I heard they are raising money for a new arena. That shows a commitment to make the program better. And that is what we want in the NCHC.

And please stop talking about college hockey as if it operates under the exact same dynamics as college basketball or football. As the current sorry state of the B1G hockey conference proves, you cannot manufacture instant college hockey success in a vacuum. BTN has not made the B1G #1 with a bullet like some people on this forum insisted it would.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

I imagine WMU joined the NCHC because they are looking into making their hockey program the centerpiece of their athletic department. They do nothing in FB. They do nothing in MBB or WBB. Their best bet is to put resources into Division I hockey. I heard they are raising money for a new arena. That shows a commitment to make the program better. And that is what we want in the NCHC.

And please stop talking about college hockey as if it operates under the exact same dynamics as college basketball or football. As the current sorry state of the B1G hockey conference proves, you cannot manufacture instant college hockey success in a vacuum. BTN has not made the B1G #1 with a bullet like some people on this forum insisted it would.

Yes, WMU wants to make hockey higher profile, but it hasn't succeeded in doing that yet, either in winning or in building a new arena.  Kind of a project like Ariz St.

College hockey doesn't have the greed of the P5 with fb and bb, except the B1G, but money makes even the hockey world go round.

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

Yes, WMU wants to make hockey higher profile, but it hasn't succeeded in doing that yet, either in winning or in building a new arena.  Kind of a project like Ariz St.

College hockey doesn't have the greed of the P5 with fb and bb, except the B1G, but money makes even the hockey world go round.

Really? How much money is the NCAA making with these asinine "neutral site" regional tournaments? I imagine not much. How much money are the B1G hockey programs making? You have seen the same media reports that I have. It is a disaster on all levels (including financial).

The sooner people stop trying to turn college hockey into college basketball and start treating it as its own unique entity, the sooner college hockey will become more profitable and popular.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Three years into the life of the NCHC and you are writing WMU's postmortem? Let's wait a few more years before we start reading them their last rites.

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Three years into the life of the NCHC and you are writing WMU's postmortem? Let's wait a few more years before we start reading them their last rites.

So that is implying that I wrote Ariz St hockey will be a disaster.  It will be better than CC, given a few seasons.

25 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

If the B1G offers, which it wont, Faison would be powerless as Schafer or Kennedy will take a second to say YES.

Not saying he could stop it. Saying he would fight it. 

But I agree, it will not happen.