SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

Does UND want to belong to a club where one of the members has this in mind for their students?....University of Wisconsin students to undergo mandatory ‘cultural competency training’

While the training may be limited to about 1,000 students this fall, it will be mandatory for all incoming students by next year, the State Journal reported. The report did not say how much the expanded program might cost in the future.

I sure hope not  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, GeauxSioux said:

Does UND want to belong to a club where one of the members has this in mind for their students?....University of Wisconsin students to undergo mandatory ‘cultural competency training’

I sure hope not  

Yeah pretty soon college is only going to be good for the Hockey and Football. The rest of it is going to hell. Or has been. 

4 minutes ago, ClassB said:

Yeah pretty soon college is only going to be good for the Hockey and Football. The rest of it is going to hell. Or has been. 

"Have we got a college?  Have we got a football team?....Well we can't afford both. Tomorrow we start tearing down the college." -- Groucho Marx in Horse Feathers

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2016 at 9:49 PM, GeauxSioux said:

I sure hope not  

It depends on what they include in a program like that, of course, but I think the idea has some merit.  Madison, is a great town, but it does experience racial tension and is not immune from the inner city issues they have in Chicago.  In fact, there is a fair amount of spillover.  And the student body and campus population is extremely diverse.  Figuring out how to have vigorous debate on sensitive topics without offended parties crying "foul" is a good thing. 

On 2016. 6. 17. at 10:04 PM, burd said:

It depends on what they include in a program like that, of course, but I think the idea has some merit.  Madison, is a great town, but it does experience racial tension and is not immune from the inner city issues they have in Chicago.  In fact, there is a fair amount of spillover.  And the student body and campus population is extremely diverse.  Figuring out how to have vigorous debate on sensitive topics without offended parties crying "foul" is a good thing. 

While dispassionate and open discussion on these issues would seem like a very appropriate subject for any university campus I can say from experience as instructor at division 2 and 3 institutions that these classes are more about teaching students "correct thought" on politically and socially sensitive issue rather than critical thinking or research. I know this is not a forum for politics so I will try and keep my deviation brief, basically almost all schools have adopted speech codes on campus. From what I can tell the original idea was to try and get students to have sense of decorum when debating issues and to keep extremely hateful group off campus, IE the KKK, Westbro Baptist, etc. Unfortunately in recent years many universities have expanded their codes to include a speech that could be found as offensive, unnerving or disagreeable to any portion of the students. This means that speakers or groups have been disallowed because of political viewpoints and academic views on subject such as but not limited to feminism, poverty, foreign affairs, social justice, economics, Etc. If you want to know more I suggest looking at the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE). Using their ratings system both Wisconsin and UND have a yellow rating which is not good but still not the worst.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...